Sponsored

Overland owners who switched to 35 & 37 tires

Boricua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have had the same results with my Mojave take offs on my Overland. 285/70/17"s no real MPG change or power issues noted. Dealer did the swap with the TPMS's and flashed the computer as well. It did cost me $216.00 but well worth it.

E5D6722E-4E7C-424B-BC44-F1D612CE2EAD_1_201_a.jpeg

18013E7D-C811-4C80-A98E-A2B4BDF61EDE_1_201_a.jpeg

2E39FDCA-8F86-4113-94F4-A2FE054088B2_1_201_a.jpeg
Nice lip on the hood! Where did you get it? Is it a bug/rock shield protection? Any front pictures?
Sponsored

Nurse K

First Name
Karla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
RN
I'm surprised to hear a few people say that they saw a big difference in performance going from the 32" all seasons to Rubicon 33s. I can't even tell much difference going from my 32" all seasons to a 33.5" E load. I feel a big more hesitation when I first step on it, but after a second or two it feels like stock, and it kicks out of 8th gear to 7th easier. That's the only difference I've noticed. They might weigh as much as the Rubicon take offs, they are light for their size and load rating at 50lbs. That being said, I wouldn't want to do even 35s without re-gearing.

I'm also surprised at that dyno sheet, the torque curve is flatter than I expected.
I just had the Mopar 2” lift installed this week (gained a little over 3” even with metal bumper and winch). I currently have 33 Toyo AT2 XTs on my stock Overland wheels. Overall the tires look a tad small after the lift but not horrible. I do some light off-roading like easier trails at UWharrie and beach riding. I tow a wave runner but it’s only around 1,000 lbs with trailer. I’m not sure about changing to 35s since I just bought these tires before deciding on lifting the JT. The Toyo’s ride like a dream on the highway and I’ve lost only 1-2 mpg that I’ve noticed. Since you also drive NC roads I wanted to see what your thoughts are on 35s.

Last edited:

Reddout99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 80th Anniversary JT Sport S
Occupation
Cad Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Resurrecting this thread.
I don't have an Overland, but my 80th Anniv. Sport S came with the 18" Overland wheels, which I really like and will be keeping.
It came with a 2" Mopar lift and 35s and I really didn't notice anything regarding performance, but I just sold my 2010 JKU with 35s so was used to the tire size. Tranny performance wasn't bad even with the auto 6 speed (I think) on the JKU. I recently swapped the 35s for 37s on my JT. There is a difference but not enough for me to regret the decision. The 8 speed auto handles it better. Mine is strictly a daily driver though

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Resurrecting this thread.
I don't have an Overland, but my 80th Anniv. Sport S came with the 18" Overland wheels, which I really like and will be keeping.
It came with a 2" Mopar lift and 35s and I really didn't notice anything regarding performance, but I just sold my 2010 JKU with 35s so was used to the tire size. Tranny performance wasn't bad even with the auto 6 speed (I think) on the JKU. I recently swapped the 35s for 37s on my JT. There is a difference but not enough for me to regret the decision. The 10 speed auto handles it better. Mine is strictly a daily driver though
10 speed?
You have an 8 speed.
There's no 10 speed for a Wrangler or Gladiator (or Grand Cherokee etc.)
If you don't have a max tow version of the Sport S, then you have 3.73 to 1 differential gears.
And with 35s you won't be seeing 8th gear. Heck, I have stock size tires and it's extremely rare for me to see 8th. 6th and 7th is it unless I'm on the flats doing 65 or so.
With 37s and the 3.73 ratio gears I guarantee you will not see 8th gear.
No way in heck I'd take my daily driver to 35s with the 3.73 ratio. Torque converter can only make up for so much and the RPM ranges due to the gear ratio gaps would be less than ideal.

Sponsored

Reddout99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2021 80th Anniversary JT Sport S
Occupation
Cad Manager
Vehicle Showcase
10 speed?
You have an 8 speed.
There's no 10 speed for a Wrangler or Gladiator (or Grand Cherokee etc.)
If you don't have a max tow version of the Sport S, then you have 3.73 to 1 differential gears.
And with 35s you won't be seeing 8th gear. Heck, I have stock size tires and it's extremely rare for me to see 8th. 6th and 7th is it unless I'm on the flats doing 65 or so.
With 37s and the 3.73 ratio gears I guarantee you will not see 8th gear.
No way in heck I'd take my daily driver to 35s with the 3.73 ratio. Torque converter can only make up for so much and the RPM ranges due to the gear ratio gaps would be less than ideal.
Oops, you're right, 8 speed. Ahh, I was waiting for someone to come in with the 8th gear argument thing. I've read it from a ton of people on the forums - you can't do this without regearing, you'll never see 7th or 8th gear I get it . I didn't go into this blindly. I've read and researched and decided to make the change. I may regear at some point.
Believe it or not, I'm really good with my set up as a DD. If you wouldn't do it that is fine too.

Last edited:

hoosier

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland, Indian Chief Classic
Occupation
Engineering
I have an Overland with 3.73 gears and 37s. I'm not sure but I don't think I've ever seen 8th gear. Does fine driving around town or on county roads and will occasionally see 7th (approx. 17mpg) but no 7th or 8th on the highway/interstate (13/15 mpg, less in some areas).
With all that said, plan on re-gearing at the end of November to 4.56 with the hopes that highway/interstate driving will improve.
Sponsored