First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
I've just begun camping and planning some overland trips. Today I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. So what are some options as far as camping with a Cpap. I'll meet the pulmonologist next week sometime, what types of things should I ask for?
Sponsored

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
I have had a CPAP for last 23 years (probably needed one longer than that). The new models are pretty efficient in terms of electricity usage. I use something similar to what @EddyArnold linked.

Make sure to get a 12v outlet adapter though to make the battery last longer. I can usually get at least 2 nights on mine. If I turn off the humidifier on the CPAP, I can get a littler over 3.

Jackery battery
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D29QNMJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12v adapter for Resmed CPAP
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6H994Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Yup. I’ve got one of those Jackery batteries. We lost power for several days last winter and I ended up having to run mine off of that.

If you’ve got a CPAP and like to camp and/or live in an area that has random power outages, that battery is pretty awesome.

Alphatango4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
I use mine daily with an inverter as I drive a truck and spend 4-6 days a week in the bunk. The wattage on the inverter is 700 but it doesn't even act like it's pulling any real power. Tried the included 12v plug but those inevitably die within a few months. Use a direct to battery wire if you go this route. I'm connecting mine through the 12v CB radio terminals and it works fine.

Also, buy yourself a comfortable chin strap. If you're machine tries to adjust pressure, it will blow your mouth open and it sucks...... seriously. Dry mouth is no joke.

Enjoy your soon to be restful night's. I love mine and wouldn't sleep without it.

Sponsored

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Willys Sport (sold), '22 JT Willys Sport
Occupation
Teacher
Can confirm on the Jackery. I picked up the 290 a couple of weeks ago at Harbor Freight on sale for $259. Great product. I've already used it on a couple of two night camping trips. The machine draws about 1/3 of the charge per night. It comes with a wall charging cord and car charging adapter and can be charges with solar (sold separately).

You're going to really like your CPAP!

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I run the branch of a DME (durable medical equipment) company and we get tons of people out camping. Turning off the heated tubing and the water heater is huge power difference. If you really need humidity, turn the heated tubing off and just run the heater.

Most people are just fine running for a few nights (a lot of people don't even use it) and not needing it. Pap can be hard, but it really is worth doing because once you get used to it, it will change the way you sleep.

Also, there is a massive recall out for Respironics right now and most companies have a large back-order because of it. If your AHI is lower I would really hold out for a Resmed machine. Respironics made up about 50% of the market and now that they are out Resmed cannot keep up and there are a bunch of new companies popping up. Resvent, React Medical are two other popular companies filling in the market but the jury is still out on those. Find a DME company with a good warranty and you will be fine, but get one of these new models and be careful that you don't end up with a machine that broke 2 years later with no warranty and no insurance replacement until 5 years.

PM me if you have any questions.
Sponsored