First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
This is my current setup. Big Tex SV30 x 8. I've found that for 2-3 guys out hunting for more than a 4-5 days at a time even a Power Wagon bed with shell was insufficient to carry what I like to have on hand when out for an extended late season snow and crap weather adventure. Especially so when hauling an elk or two and all our crap back out of the mountains at the conclusion.

I still need to flip the axles, install stock some rubicon tires and wheels on it for the extra clearance and added spare tire capability (I may have to modify the fenders to allow for the 33" tires though), and weld on a new hitch with better articulation. It is a 5 x 8 trailer and fits perfectly behind the JT. This setup is certainly not as off road capable as the military trailers but then finding those has proved to be much more difficult that I had envisioned. I have tried for several years to do so. Have found some that were gone in 1 hour and others that were so beat and rusted they were not worth the effort. But this thing meets my needs fairly well.

IMG_1309.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Her is a cost effective option to build a trailer. This is the way I would go for a compact trailer.

https://www.dinoot.com/
My bad should have said, how do you think their frames compare to an m101, will it hold up? Or would most guys just find a beat up m101, then put the dinoot body on there?

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
With three of us in the TJ I had to have a trailer for our trip from Louisiana to Alaska. They were/are expensive to buy so I built this one.

BFCEDCF0-7E3E-4B15-AD02-CFF452F877EF.jpeg
I like that, the addition of the 5 ga fuel can and the water can.

I think the reason why they are so expensive is due to the limited demand. The 'to spec' build I charged the guy $1500 which included $500 in steel and materials (red primer etc) he already had his wheels/tires/axle and fenders, not sure why he bought that as my shop I sold parts at my cost +10% which includes shipping, time to go pick up etc. I also only had agreements with 2 companies: Rancho Shocks and Dynatrac axles.

I can get one out the door for <$3k in most cases using .120 wall for the frame, 20 GA flat or diamond plate (which I prefer) for the rest.

Just to give some insight on the amount of profit in some of these units...

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
With three of us in the TJ I had to have a trailer for our trip from Louisiana to Alaska. They were/are expensive to buy so I built this one.

BFCEDCF0-7E3E-4B15-AD02-CFF452F877EF.jpeg
Looks awesome, what did you use as the base frame/body?

Bobs85Reny

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 Renegade, 81 Cj8 Scrammler, 84 CJ8 Scrambler, 89 YJ Laredo, 06 Wrangler LJ, 86 CJ7, 02 Liberty, 16 jeePatriot
My bad should have said, how do you think their frames compare to an m101, will it hold up? Or would most guys just find a beat up m101, then put the dinoot body on there?
I would go with a custom built frame with a torsion axle. Might cost a bit more but to me that is the most important part of the trailer. Jeff Scherb is the guy who designed the dinoot trailer. He designed it to work with a harbor freight trailer. here is his thread on it. very interesting read. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/bolt-together-fiberglass-jeep-tub-trailer-kit-1274811/ The nice part about it is that you have options without breaking the bank. The problem with dealing with any old trailer will always be rust. That being said I would rather start with a clean slate and build up from there. As far as frames go I guess it depends on how much abuse you plan on putting it through.

Sponsored

Jowen

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubicon Cherokee an x2 2020 jt rubicon
I have m101a2 i will soon refurbish, A local company will powder coat for 800 dollars if i prep the body for him. I will also do change over to a electric brake axle. A lot of old trailers are available, if I had the cash i could it a pioneer trailer for 1500, now that would a heck of a overland trailer when done.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Jeff puts a lot of thought into his projects so I’d be willing to work with the fruits of his labors.

Any steel trailer is going to be a fight against rust where as fiberglass is cracking and aluminum has its own down sides related to field repairs. No material is perfect.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would go with a custom built frame with a torsion axle. Might cost a bit more but to me that is the most important part of the trailer. Jeff Scherb is the guy who designed the dinoot trailer. He designed it to work with a harbor freight trailer. here is his thread on it. very interesting read. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/bolt-together-fiberglass-jeep-tub-trailer-kit-1274811/ The nice part about it is that you have options without breaking the bank. The problem with dealing with any old trailer will always be rust. That being said I would rather start with a clean slate and build up from there. As far as frames go I guess it depends on how much abuse you plan on putting it through.
Awesome! I'm definitely looking into this. As always you guys come through with great Intel.

Professor57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2020 Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Looks awesome, what did you use as the base frame/body?
I built the frame and the base. Pretty straight forward welding. Bought the axel, mounts, and leaf springs for $125. They built the axel to the same width as my TJR. The top is a solid sheet of metal that hinges forward with gas assist shocks. 5 foot long welds take awhile to weld and grind.

Professor57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2020 Gator Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I like that, the addition of the 5 ga fuel can and the water can...
Note to self...when traveling the Alcan do not use block ice in your plastic water jugs. I learned that the hard way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like that, the addition of the 5 ga fuel can and the water can.

I think the reason why they are so expensive is due to the limited demand. The 'to spec' build I charged the guy $1500 which included $500 in steel and materials (red primer etc) he already had his wheels/tires/axle and fenders, not sure why he bought that as my shop I sold parts at my cost +10% which includes shipping, time to go pick up etc. I also only had agreements with 2 companies: Rancho Shocks and Dynatrac axles.

I can get one out the door for <$3k in most cases using .120 wall for the frame, 20 GA flat or diamond plate (which I prefer) for the rest.

Just to give some insight on the amount of profit in some of these units...
Under 3k with what kind of suspension and wheels/tires?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeff puts a lot of thought into his projects so I’d be willing to work with the fruits of his labors.

Any steel trailer is going to be a fight against rust where as fiberglass is cracking and aluminum has its own down sides related to field repairs. No material is perfect.
Plywood?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is all great info. I'm so frustrated I was supposed to get the JT a week ago, but now I have no idea when it's coming. I've got 2 weekends of camping and a music festival camping weekend over the next 5 weeks. I'm so ichy for my JT, but maybe I could just build a Basecamp trailer for 2/3 of the camping weekends so I can still start acquiring some of the stuff. Ugh.
Sponsored