Sponsored

Pandemic pastimes?

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I'm not an overly social person to begin with, so when the pandemic lockdowns hit, I really wasn't that bothered. Thankfully I'm in a job that allows telework, so other than a few trips into the office to do work I cannot perform at home, I've been working from the house for over a year now.

Right before the pandemic hit, my wife and I bought a new house farther out into a more rural area. The house is in a very nice position - it's surrounded on three sides by wetlands and pastures, with the nearest house in those directions about a mile away. We're set back off the road with two houses in front of us, so it is pretty quiet out here.

For my office, I set up my desk right beside a pair of sliding glass doors that look out over the back yard, our small pond, and the pastures farther out. I quickly learned that this probably wasn't the best position for work productivity, as the various wildlife that lives in our area provided ample distractions from work.
Jeep Gladiator Pandemic pastimes? P1000316.JPG

In the past year, I've learned more about various critters (both furry and feathery) that inhabit our neck of the woods. So far I've counted 3 different varieties of egrets, two herons, four hawks (who really don't like each other that much), 5 species of woodpeckers, three types of ducks, and more songbirds than I can count. We also have an otter that lives in our pond, and a bobcat that makes appearances every once in a while. Saw some tracks from what looked to be a much bigger cat, perhaps a panther (there have been sightings in the area).
Jeep Gladiator Pandemic pastimes? P1000296.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Pandemic pastimes? P1000110.JPG

So, what hobbies have y'all picked up?
Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Got a Jeep Gladiator 😎

Seriously, though, you got some great shots.

OP
OP
OldFloridaMan

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Got a Jeep Gladiator 😎

Seriously, though, you got some great shots.
I'm still practicing at it. Took those pics with a Panasonic Lumix FZ80. Little camera, but it has a HUGE zoom on it (equivalent of a 1200mm lens, with up to 2400 with digital zoom). Those pics were taken at about 75 yards away, and I'm still playing with the auto focusing on it - more often than not it focuses in on the grass around the bird than the bird itself.

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Yeah, getting a Gladiator was the biggest thing during the pandemic for me too. Besides jigsaw puzzles and various board games at the beginning of this, pandemic life has been relatively normal here. I own a pet supply store and never closed and my better half works from home. Hunting and fishing haven't slowed down for me, but going to the range has due to ammo shortages. I'm way less interested at age 51 in concerts, parties, and big gatherings so I suppose Covid couldn't have happened at a better time for me. Wish I had as much wildlife around my place as OP does! We get black bears, black snakes, and songbirds pretty much.

OP
OP
OldFloridaMan

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Yeah, getting a Gladiator was the biggest thing during the pandemic for me too. Besides jigsaw puzzles and various board games at the beginning of this, pandemic life has been relatively normal here. I own a pet supply store and never closed and my better half works from home. Hunting and fishing haven't slowed down for me, but going to the range has due to ammo shortages. I'm way less interested at age 51 in concerts, parties, and big gatherings so I suppose Covid couldn't have happened at a better time for me. Wish I had as much wildlife around my place as OP does! We get black bears, black snakes, and songbirds pretty much.
Yeah, but you have one thing I definitely don't have - topography! A while back one of my staff commented about going mountain biking. I corrected him - he was going biking. No, mountain biking he insisted. I pointed out that the highest point in Florida is about 500 feet, and far from being considered a "mountain."

I really do miss the mountains. Grew up spending summers with my relatives that live in Black Mountain, and both my grandfather and father were very involved with the YMCA, and we visited the Blue Ridge Assembly often. I spent a good bit of time in those hills hiking and camping. Have a feeling that once I hit retirement, I'll end up somewhere up there. I miss the Blue Ridge...

Sponsored

Blue Ridge

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys in sarge green
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Pet shop owner
Oh man, talk about small world! I actually live and work in Black Mountain. To make your post even more crazy to me, I took my Gladiator up to Blue Ridge Assembly over the weekend. It's closed and there was a "no thru traffic" sign, but I was already on the one-way road and just wanted to sit on the giant front porch and take in the view for a few. In spite of the lack of large wildlife diversity, it sure is scenic up here.

OP
OP
OldFloridaMan

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Oh man, talk about small world! I actually live and work in Black Mountain. To make your post even more crazy to me, I took my Gladiator up to Blue Ridge Assembly over the weekend. It's closed and there was a "no thru traffic" sign, but I was already on the one-way road and just wanted to sit on the giant front porch and take in the view for a few. In spite of the lack of large wildlife diversity, it sure is scenic up here.
I could sit on that porch for hours.

My grandfather’s portrait is on the wall in the main building there - he was one of the founders of the YMCA Leader’s School, so I have pictures of me on that porch dating back nearly my entire 50 years of existence!

My relatives actually lived in Montreat, and we definitely got up to stuff that they didn’t approve of :)

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
i picked up RC crawlers and built one

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
@OldFloridaMan No way they were panther tracks, there aren't any in Florida; just like there are no mountain lions here in Pa..

Actually, we worked harder during the pandemic. It all started with planning for a short shut down, then an unknown shut down, then going back to school at various levels, now changing levels again. It is like starting the year 3 times already.
Then there is the worry, we pledged to pay our employees without knowing what our funding would be. Then we received a very reduced funding in the spring, followed by still very reduced funding so far this school year. We haven't missed a paycheck but will be several years in recovery. Add to that the reduced number of employees because of their fear of Covid (I get that), then the number of quarantined employees, not being able to train new drivers because of CDC restrictions.....

So, for some of us the shut-down has been more stressful than usual.

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
I found an M416 trailer and spent plenty of nights and weekends in the garage rehabbing it. It’s a 1967 Stevenson M416. I have literally taken every single bolt apart, washed, cleaned, sanded, reassembled, primed and painted every single item so far on the frame and suspension. Not in a huge hurry so I’ve taken my time and enjoyed the process. Teaching myself how to weld now to patch some holes in the tub. Probably one of the best winters I’ve ever had.

Jeep Gladiator Pandemic pastimes? A90D02EE-208C-4492-8EA3-0C69B8B07835

Jeep Gladiator Pandemic pastimes? 33800AF9-C98A-4E01-B5FA-6F370EC980C8

40D54C5C-3591-4369-9E8A-AA80CE31A3AE.jpeg

179BA442-F85C-480A-AD66-643C3B9A8582.jpeg

5B051B1B-5125-4952-86D0-6142A6347BAB.jpeg

C0370E8A-A851-4776-9FB8-433E639EDF79.jpeg

Sponsored

IamAlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Snazzberry Willys
Occupation
Retired
I bought a bread machine and baked a lot of excellent loaves.

Also knocked the dust off my Dillon and manufactured several thousand rounds of freedom pellets with the capable help of my lab assistant.
Jeep Gladiator Pandemic pastimes? 92108689_1621389111332542_266495354847887360_n

Jeep Gladiator Pandemic pastimes? tempImageD9KXuN

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
Rediscovered my old Lyman casting furnace. Loaded and shot a ton of .44 Mag and .45ACP.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
i picked up RC crawlers and built one
Did that too! Like the micro crawlers since they're small enough for indoors and can be used outdoors as well. Have the SCX24, and two panda hobby models (k1 and the bronco ish one).

Have also been brewing more and did about 4-5 beer batches in the last year along with an experiment with fractional distillation to make apple jack (came out about 65 proof).

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have spent more time in the last year getting away from everyone and everything. This picture is from yesterday.
Jeep Gladiator Pandemic pastimes? 5-8-21 9

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
We had a baby between Xmas and New Years 2019... Simultaneously terrible and excellent timing. Nothing about having a child has gone according to plan. Lots to unpack there, but I won't drag down the conversation. On the plus side, my wife's office shut down a week before she was supposed to return from maternity leave, and I already worked from home. Home is in the mountains above Denver, which adds to the nice. We've both been able to be here with our daughter 100% of the time, and that has been pretty incredible. Neither of us has missed any major moments or milestones by anything more than it takes to walk from one room to the other.

Beyond that, I took up learning a skill I've wanted to pursue since college; watchmaking. If not you're into engines and mechanical things, stay well away. If you really like wrenching, getting a machine really dialed in and so on, stay even further away! It is not a cheap hobby, and probably the most challenging thing I've ever attempted. I pick up $5 eBay specials, get them up and running and looking nice, then sell them on for a profit to pay for tools, materials, and the next "victim". I recognize a quality machine when I see one; I've wrenched on everything from Fords to Ferraris. Nothing compares to the precision, quality, and attention to detail that goes into even the most average watch.
Sponsored