OP

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
Update: "sticking lifters and possible stored trouble codes driving recall" Dealer says recall covers all VVL Pentastars built between June 2022 and before April 2023. Intake lash adjusters only, both banks. Recall parts include LA's, VC gaskets, and some other small gaskets and sealer.

New Intake LA PN stated as: 05047883AC

All verbal. I have not seen documentation.

The only way to understand what's actually going on is to get a new 05047883AC and then disassemble and measure it's dimensions against the legacy part. If we identify what's changed, then we can follow that to the root cause.

This represents too expensive of a recall to simply address an innocuous noise. I will order an updated LA today for examination. I'm sure I can scratch up an older LA somewhere for comparison.

I will not be approving the recall work at this time. After we learn more, then I'll consider it. More likely, I'll just buy and replace the LA's myself when I feel like it. I'm at less than 2k miles right now, so no rush. The new LAs are ~$10 bucks each.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
That is a pretty narrow manufacture range. Would really like to see a paper copy of this or at a minimum some reference numbers of what this so called "recall" is.

I still have the nagging feeling this is a TSB or a service campaign and not a true NHTSA issued recall.

Sounds like they know of a bad batch of lash adjusters and not addressing anything of the ticking issues that the Gladiators have reported since launch.

Last edited:

TheRealGinjaNinja

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Following...I don't see this listed as a recall so probably a TSB. Also waiting to see the actual documentation and build dates impacted.

Cheers

pbrevo64

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
Following. Those dates are interesting, as I know the 2020s have had significantly more issues with ticking as a result of bad lash adjusters, but it could be that there was a bad batch of parts during the 6/22-4/23 build range. If it ends up being a recall, and the dates are expanded to cover earlier build dates I hope that they offer retroactive reimbursement for people who already had the work done on their own dime. Although I may be SOL as I had an independent mechanic replace mine rather than the dealership.

Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I was refraining from posting here but I also have a pretty noisy '22 but never have had any CELs or running issues. Its noisy when cold and then goes after a few minutes of driving. This isn't a little clicky noise either, it's very audible. I'll try to record it on my drive to work tomorrow.

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Crazy .... I get this ....
Jeep Gladiator Pentastar 3.6 Recall On Lash Adjusters, Allegedly 1683830274675
It's location specific but it wont let me change the location. I watch the webpage set my location then load the status. Weird

rtjeepman

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Jeep Cherokee TH
Occupation
Respiratory Therapist
I hope you used the word "allegedly" because you are a fan of Letterkenny. Either way it made me laugh. Good job.

Sponsored

kennyglm

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
funny i just saw this post because i just took my grand cherokee in for the valves tapping and it needed a cam lifters and rocker arms at just 7000 miles . wonder if this is a problem ...

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Our company trucks are Dodge Rams with Hemi engines, they all have lifter tick. My coworkers that drive Hemi trucks all have lifter tick. It is sometimes hard to hear over the exhaust manifold leaks but it is there. Almost as bad as the Ford Triton cam phasers. Almost.

toddarama

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Gobi
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I do IT stuff so I can buy Jeep stuff.
Our company trucks are Dodge Rams with Hemi engines, they all have lifter tick. My coworkers that drive Hemi trucks all have lifter tick. It is sometimes hard to hear over the exhaust manifold leaks but it is there. Almost as bad as the Ford Triton cam phasers. Almost.
Nothing is as bad as the Triton cam phasers.... nothing....

OP
OP

TheRealStreetcommander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
None of your business.
We are off topic, but the 5.4 3-valve will go down as THE worst engine of the fuel injected era. The Ford engine design team should be formally charged in the international criminal court for crimes against humanity. It is that bad.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Following...I don't see this listed as a recall so probably a TSB. Also waiting to see the actual documentation and build dates impacted.

Cheers
Things that are called recalls won't be on the NHTSA site. Don't link the fact that it's not out there in the govt's site as it not being a "recall". MOPAR will call it that, but it's more of a rapid response thing. Dealers will call it a recall - but it's not how recalls are typically defined.
I had a "recall" bulleting done on mine and it was simply a customer satisfaction rapid response bulletin. The dealership listed it as "recall" on the paperwork. But you'll never ever see it as a recall on any web site.
It's a matter of semantics.
In short - the dealership is calling it a "recall" but it's not really a recall as most reasonable people think of a recall.

As far as noise - consider that the intake follower is multiple piece and when it's in the low lift mode, the high lift center section sort of "floats" on the cam - IMO, looking over the design and how these operate, they aren't going to be really quiet.
The 3.6 when operating NORMALLY is not necessarily going to be as quiet as many other engines.

I wonder if this will affect the GCL 3.6s as well, I have a 2021 GCL and it has a noticeable tick at cold startup and once warmed up it fades away. Oil levels are good, unless that's normal at cold start and the oil has to reach the top of the engine?
Lash adjusters can bleed down like the hydraulic lifters in an old-school V8. It may take time for the cooler thicker oil to fill them and take the lash out of the valve train. A bit of noise at first startup isn't an issue as long as it disappears in a short time.

Every 3.6 we've ever owned has been quieter than some of our other engines. My 4.0s have always sounded like "truck engines" as a friend describes the sound. 3.6 is real quiet compared to my current 4.0.

June 2022 - which part of June? "since June" could be a build date of June 1st or June 30th, which is it? Does it include those built in June?

As far as non-Gladiator - aren't the Grand Cherokee engines built in a different facility? JT engines are built in Mexico, what about the Grand Cherokee or other 3.6's?
Sponsored