Sponsored

Please tell me this wasn't one of you...

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'd go over the roof before I'd go through the cab. I know a guy who died when the load came loose in an accident he otherwise would have survived. Nothing comes through that back window. There are extenders that go in the receiver that handle that sort of thing perfectly. As seen in my photos, you can haul long stuff in the bed just fine (with a red flag) and I use 6 straps if 2 will do. Never lost anything yet.
Hooking to my 18' trailer is a 5 minute job if I need a whole lot of big long stuff - it's a lot easier and takes a lot LESS time that maneuvering something through a rear window, risking health and the interior of the truck in the process.
I can haul 14 to 16 foot stuff in the truck, but the trailer is sooo much easier! Easy to strap the stuff down, easy to load as it's low, and if I get home and it's too cold to mess with unloading, I drop the trailer and use the truck for something else.
I just won't risk myself or the windshield or rear window.
It goes in the bed like my prior pictures showed - legal with a flag, or on the trailer.
It takes less time to hook up a trailer and go than it does to mess with stuffing something through a rear window while avoiding damage, then strapping it in place.

20220308_084445_HDR.jpg
Not everyone has a trailer ...just say'in
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not everyone has a trailer ...just say'in
True, very - but the extenders are cheap as heck, Menards has them on sale now and then, and one can still go up over the roof, or simply out the back.
I hauled long lengths of drain tile in my JT - sticking out the back. That was fun getting it not to drag on the ground, but it was doable.
I carried 16' lengths of siding (the floppy hardboard type that people call Masonite even if it's not the Masonite brand) in my F250. It was strapped so it rode on the roof sticking forward of the windshield a little bit, straps through the cab (before the doors were closed) and strapped to the open tail gate. Ya don't go really fast that way as the wind off the windshield would have blown the front ends of the siding up, but it worked fine. Nothing in the cab.
There's always ways.

AlxCZ

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Artist
That this was not one of you!

Screenshot_20230130_092115_Instagram.jpg
Sounds to me, that several of us have used that space to "haul" long items that don't fit normally anywhere else. I guess according to the "haul police" we should be either ubering our haul or maybe buy a $30k truck to haul stuff. I bought a "$60k" jeep truck because like everything else, I wanted to, including hauling small light stuff thru the window with a towel to cushion it.

OP
OP
Gladiator832

Gladiator832

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2013 Ram Sport
Occupation
Plant Manager
Sounds to me, that several of us have used that space to "haul" long items that don't fit normally anywhere else. I guess according to the "haul police" we should be either ubering our haul or maybe buy a $30k truck to haul stuff. I bought a "$60k" jeep truck because like everything else, I wanted to, including hauling small light stuff thru the window with a towel to cushion it.
You are absolutely correct, I just posted this because it made me smile 😃. Take how you want. Do you, be you. I didn't put the caption on the picture.

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
This is the reason I'm picking bed rack this weekend

Wat Dog

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
Occupation
Superintendent
This is one of the reasons I think Jeep missed the mark on the rear window of the Gladiator. It should have been the same as the wrangler and easily removable

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I'm legit now 😂

And no RTT or Jerry cans for me......I'm not that guy lol

PXL_20230204_163829373.jpg

PXL_20230204_163812479.jpg

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
It's cheap to rent a trailer BTW. Last time I rented from Uhaul it was a piddly $15.
Not everyone has a U-Haul place near by either. I would have to drive 45 minutes one way to one.

Y-Guy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I made that mistake once with my F350 with the electric sliding window. Somehow the vibration caused the slider to just shatter in place. At the time they didn't have any replacement class but a local shop cut some for me and I paid out of pocket... lesson learned. Growing up my dad only drove sedans (and always silver) but he had 2 hooks that could hang on the car door to haul a few 2x4s without dining up the car - never seen them since but he got a lot of use out of those.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Not everyone has a U-Haul place near by either. I would have to drive 45 minutes one way to one.
Yeah, I realize that. I just wanted to throw that out there figuring some folks don’t know how cheap a rental can be, that’s all.
Sponsored