Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, i make sure i pull as straight as possible, using directional anchors. This comes from a climbing/rigging background. Don't winch a ton. I try to avoid it if possible.
Can get photos to you, truck camper had a pack rat move in, and i'm still dealing with an electrical issue.
Winch for truck/camper is smittybilt x20 12k. Gladiator has warn zeon 10.
Am going to get the back of the gladiator wired for the winch, and carry the one from the truck when i go solo.
I only have it on the camper when i am solo and someplace where i could get stuck.
I figured the same ideas. I have a Warn evo 12s on the front, but am between the small winch2go setup, and a 5-9k with a receiver mount. I figure I can still use the receiver mount out of the receiver for lateral pulls with shackles on both sides if I had to. I agree, storage is a concern. Weight is less of an issue as I can stash it in the trailer when we’re overlanding. If alone trail riding, I won’t have as much in the bed, so won’t need to worry about weight.
Sponsored

Pescatoral Pursuit

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 F-150, ‘15 CTS, ‘21 JT Urban Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Plumba
A rear mounted winch makes too much sense.

Hitch forces can be easily mitigated using a double line pull attached to one or both tow hooks, and this also means one can get away with a considerably smaller winch.

I've been considering a 5k on a removable hitch mount. Another given is that in many cases it should require somewhat less force to extricate oneself by the entrance than the exit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes you can pull yourself backwards with a front mounted winch.......

I really like this guy and have watched some of his videos with great interest. Leave it to the Aussies to figure out complex things....

OP
OP
WILDHOBO

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes you can pull yourself backwards with a front mounted winch.......

I really like this guy and have watched some of his videos with great interest. Leave it to the Aussies to figure out complex things....

I like physics. You’d need to have lots of connection points, 4 synthetic friendly pillows, and hundreds of feet of winch line. While it’s nice to know how to do it, I’ll spend a tenth of that on a second winch. :). If I remember right, my factor55 pully was 200+ alone.

squarefoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR, 22 JL 4xe
Occupation
Self Employed
Can you speak to build quality by any chance? I’ll get the synthetic only because I’ve already got a bunch of recovery gear for synthetic rope. Thanks.
The plastic case is pretty flimsy, but the metal base plate is strong and beefy. It comes with a couple of 8' straps, but they are only rated to 4k lbs. The power cables are 10' long. The included snatch block is rated to 8K lbs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WILDHOBO

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The plastic case is pretty flimsy, but the metal base plate is strong and beefy. It comes with a couple of 8' straps, but they are only rated to 4k lbs. The power cables are 10' long. The included snatch block is rated to 8K lbs.
Thanks. I’ll give it some thought. I might be able to pickup a cheap 9k and just bolt it to a 1/4” plate and drill some pulls. I’ll price it all and maybe I can come close to what this costs.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for being late to respond on this one, being someone that has ran dual winches on my XJ. Both on receiver winch plate(s) I've currently have 3 set up that way. 2 with 8k winches, one 6k short drum Mile Marker. I used the Warn wiring kit with 20 ft cables and Anderson connector. It was wired so not energized except when switched on. I stripped it out of the XJ and plan on putting on JT. When I do I'll probably only use the Mile Marker winch, less weight and storage space needed. If needing more capacity a snatch block gives it almost double capacity 10% loss due friction.
I'll try to get a few photos of them to add on this thread.

OP
OP
WILDHOBO

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for being late to respond on this one, being someone that has ran dual winches on my XJ. Both on receiver winch plate(s) I've currently have 3 set up that way. 2 with 8k winches, one 6k short drum Mile Marker. I used the Warn wiring kit with 20 ft cables and Anderson connector. It was wired so not energized except when switched on. I stripped it out of the XJ and plan on putting on JT. When I do I'll probably only use the Mile Marker winch, less weight and storage space needed. If needing more capacity a snatch block gives it almost double capacity 10% loss due friction.
I'll try to get a few photos of them to add on this thread.
That would be great. Nice to find someone who wants to be as prepared as I do. I’ll need to look up the mile marker. Thanks.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That would be great. Nice to find someone who wants to be as prepared as I do. I’ll need to look up the mile marker. Thanks.
The Mile Marker short drum was my choice to save weight on LJ, then it "failed" on me and free spooled, dropping load that was on the winch. It's only a 6K winch so slightly under sized for JT or JL. with out snatch block(s), many UTV's are running that size. When I replaced it with a 9k on LJ, I moved it to receiver mount. "Any winch that uses the sliding lever to free spool can do the same thing under load, if you have to power out line under load." Still a good winch but not under certain conditions. I already had 2 "8k" winches on receiver hitch mounts that I can use with XJ, MJ and LJ.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a few pictures..
The last one is a old H.F. 8k winch. Funny thing with it is I've tried to give that winch a new home and have been turned down. 😳

Jeep Gladiator Portable Winch For Rear IMG_20220402_183646

Jeep Gladiator Portable Winch For Rear IMG_20220402_183707

Jeep Gladiator Portable Winch For Rear IMG_20220402_183612

Jeep Gladiator Portable Winch For Rear 16489432681719198963909205033806

The mount under the short drum winch had a 8k winch before I swapped out. Yes it needs a fairlead on it. The small problem is one for it is to short to fit the gap.
Sponsored