Sponsored

What is the best winch for my Jeep Gladiator 2020? Winch installation and Warranty.

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
Jeep Gladiator What is the best winch for my Jeep Gladiator 2020? Winch installation and Warranty. 20200630_104455

I went with the Warn VR EVO 12-s. It’s only been on the Jeep for two days, so I haven’t had a chance to use it yet.
So so clean! May I ask what lower skid plate you have covering the "horns" and sway bar motor? Thanks.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
There isn't a standard foot print for bumpers, winch, or winch plate, either. Once you have have found a winch and bumper combo you like, I'd dig in here to see what the best winch plate is.

I personally went with the Smittybilt XRC and my stock steel bumper. It has been an absolute battle with the Mopar winch plate though.

Personal opinion, you are paying for the name with a warn. They haven't been all that innovative for a while, and Smittybilt has caught up to them. The new XRC gen 3 is outperforming Warn on a number of tests done by various magazines/youtubes.

Andtros

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ, Gladiator on order
Occupation
Mechanic
I run a warn on my Jeep

mfrgs12

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT; 2017 JK; 2015 F350 duelly
Occupation
System Analyst
I purchased a Venator bumper from Rugged Ridge and mounted a Smitty Built 12k x20 winch. I am not sure you could modify the plastic bumper easily enough to mount the winch or have enough strength after installation. The wench sits down inside the bumper for a low profile which I like. Good luck with your build, and enjoy your JT.

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t ever heard of anyone having warranty issues from a bumper and winch install. You should be fine. The only issues I have seen from a winch is if they sit on top of the bumper they can restrict air flow into the radiator causing a cooling issue so you should get a new front bumper with a recessed winch mount like the pics others have posted. I run a LOD mid width front bumper with a Quadratec winch. This is my 3rd Quadratec winch and they have had a good bit of use and have never had an issue. They are less expensive than a Warn by quite a bit.

3CC6B380-D51B-4A25-A8FB-B4CFEE25C4C8.jpeg

Quig

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
You have the factory plastic bumper. You can theoretically reinforce it and mount a winch, or put a front hitch on it and mount a winch.

However, the best solution is to replace teh bumper. If you go aftermarket bumper, get one that comes with a built-in winch plate. If you get the factory steel bumper, you'll need a winch plate.

I'd do that for your first mod. Then look at winches for Labor Day / Prime Day sales. Look for synthetic rope versus steel cable. More expensive, but safer.

Do you have the aux switches? If you do, the smart thing to do is to get a solenoid/power interrupter and wire it between the winch and battery so you can reduce the risk of fire by having a permanently powered winch.

Check out all the winch install threads and you can see how it all goes together.
Help me understand something with the power interrupter please. If you wire the winch to the aux switch and set the switch for ignition on, does that not eliminate the potential hazard with constant power going to the winch. My understanding is that is the purpose of the switch.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Help me understand something with the power interrupter please. If you wire the winch to the aux switch and set the switch for ignition on, does that not eliminate the potential hazard with constant power going to the winch. My understanding is that is the purpose of the switch.
No, because the power between the winch and battery will still be live.
A power interrupt kit kills the power at the battery going to the winch.
So in the unlikely event of a front collision the power cable from the winch to the battery will not be an issue. (Sparks,electrical damage,etc..)

I wired my Aux switch to Warn power interrupter. So pressing Aux 3 for me makes winch live then I have a remote switch under my steering wheel to activate winch out or in.

Jeep Gladiator What is the best winch for my Jeep Gladiator 2020? Winch installation and Warranty. 20201130_150709

Last edited:

robmandeville143

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 2010
Occupation
Doctor
I've had a WARN VR Evo 12. Uniquely balanced 12000 pounds winch with wire rope and roller fairlead, electric-powered winch that can provide reliable service for intermittent utility and recreational use. lots of power. great in the woods. Easy to handle. Pretty easy to install.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
I did the classic Warn plate and VR10s with the stock steelie bumper. I like it, its clean, its somewhat light and well…. Its a Warn. Only dropped 1/4” on my front end. Adding my Mojave springs tomorrow, undecided if I will add my extra .5” spacer along with the 1” height the Mojave springs give. Im thinking 2-2.5” front with .75” is a good stance. Still some rake.

69714127-29F5-44E4-AB2C-EF2DE944778F.jpeg

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
I did the classic Warn plate and VR10s with the stock steelie bumper. I like it, its clean, its somewhat light and well…. Its a Warn. Only dropped 1/4” on my front end. Adding my Mojave springs tomorrow, undecided if I will add my extra .5” spacer along with the 1” height the Mojave springs give. Im thinking 2-2.5” front with .75” is a good stance. Still some rake.

Jeep Gladiator What is the best winch for my Jeep Gladiator 2020? Winch installation and Warranty. 69714127-29F5-44E4-AB2C-EF2DE944778F
I ordered a VR EVO 10 and WARN mounting plate today for my Mojave and Mopar steel bumper, I did seriously consider the ZEON 10 but there was no stock with long wait times from vendors that I normally used, also reading about how tight of an install it can be made me switch for the EVO.

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
I ordered a VR EVO 10 and WARN mounting plate today for my Mojave and Mopar steel bumper, I did seriously consider the ZEON 10 but there was no stock with long wait times from vendors that I normally used, also reading about how tight of an install it can be made me switch for the EVO.
Installed the VR EVO 10-S yesterday:
i-TdLmSB9-L.jpg

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Jeep Gladiator What is the best winch for my Jeep Gladiator 2020? Winch installation and Warranty. 20211008_193935

Installed my VR Evo 10-S on Friday! The wires are a bit messy to the control box. I didn't tidy them up at all. However, I did properly route the cables to the battery.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Installed the VR EVO 10-S yesterday:
Jeep Gladiator What is the best winch for my Jeep Gladiator 2020? Winch installation and Warranty. 20211008_193935
I like how small and tidy that looks. Mine is basically sitting on top of my bumper. Post below yours.
Sponsored