Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2018 Renegade Limited, 2015 Camaro ZL1
Occupation
Owner @ Ideal Garage and Jerry's Speed Shop
Vehicle Showcase
Would you say it was a significant upgrade over the factory subwoofer?
Absolutely, The factory sub doesn't compare at all.

I'm playing around with it this morning getting it all set up and making sure there is no distortion.

I would like to make a note that i did some thinking and don't like the idea of just leaving the rest of the wires just taped up.
So i unwrapped them and decided to connect one set of wires to the left channel of the Kicker HS10 and another set of wires to the right channel.
( GY/BN and DG/BN to the left channel GY/WH and DG/WH to the right channel )
The third set of wires i'm going to put a resistor across them because i do believe if you leave them open they will cause an amplifier code.

My father is the electrical wizard not me and he believes a simple 4 ohm resistor will be fine. So i'm going to try it since i have to wait for a new rear interior panel anyway i have plenty of time to mess around.

As far as connecting those wires i mentioned above to the left and right channels they work great and the sound coming from the HS10 is Great.
The remote wire is plenty long and easily pushed under the interior trim panels without needing to remove them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mike1m

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland; 2017 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Great write up. I added a second subwoofer to the one that came with my premium system. I could not figure out any of the current speaker wires except the front passenger one under the glovebox so I tapped into it. I am not sure it is the best place to tap into as I dont always feel the extra base since I am tapped into a right channel speaker. I would rather tap into the existing subwoofer so that it is using center channel and will make my extra subwoofer sound better. What wires in those you found would I tap into for the + and - speaker?

OP
OP
JSPEED

JSPEED

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Great write up. I added a second subwoofer to the one that came with my premium system. I could not figure out any of the current speaker wires except the front passenger one under the glovebox so I tapped into it. I am not sure it is the best place to tap into as I dont always feel the extra base since I am tapped into a right channel speaker. I would rather tap into the existing subwoofer so that it is using center channel and will make my extra subwoofer sound better. What wires in those you found would I tap into for the + and - speaker?
If you look at the connector to your factory sub the two orange wires that go to the sub will work.
otherwise just reference the wiring diagram i posted above for someone else.

cdelatte

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep JKU
@JSPEED Any chance you took measurements of the space available back there without the trim pieces installed?

Sponsored

OP
OP
JSPEED

JSPEED

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@JSPEED Any chance you took measurements of the space available back there without the trim pieces installed?
Sorry, i did not. I was more concerned about hiding the new subwoofer and keeping the interior completely stock looking.

cdelatte

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep JKU
Sorry, i did not. I was more concerned about hiding the new subwoofer and keeping the interior completely stock looking.
Thanks! Any estimate on how much space is back there? Trying to buy a setup that would possibly fit back there before I buy the truck :)

OP
OP
JSPEED

JSPEED

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks! Any estimate on how much space is back there? Trying to buy a setup that would possibly fit back there before I buy the truck :)
If you were to leave the interior panel off you should have plenty of room to build a custom subwoofer box. Not sure what your plans are but take a good look at the pics i posted and you should be able to get a good idea.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
I have mine off as well( only the lower half to keep it looking undisturbed)
There is right about 4.75inches at the smallest point(middle seat bracket) . There are also a a few studs and a bead roll in the floor pan

vertically, it tappers off quickly with the seat angle. And then there are the child seat anchors and seat latches

I had a 200w RMS 10" powered unit, similar to the OPs. But it wasn't enough, it was drown out by the rest of the speakers(running about 80w per channel into 6.5 components)

I decided to put my amps back there and do an under seat box. I just slapped a quick amp rack together and am going to build the box soon

AlphaWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
For my system, I removed the body panel behind the rear seats and mounted the amp and subwoofer boxes back there. I've attached some pictures but generally the sub box is about 36" long, 11.5" tall, about 2" deep at the top and 5" at the bottom. That fit two 8" subwoofers. I wanted to preserve the under seat boxes for storage; stuff like air compressors and general stuff for the winch...

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

Sponsored

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
For my system, I removed the body panel behind the rear seats and mounted the amp and subwoofer boxes back there. I've attached some pictures but generally the sub box is about 36" long, 11.5" tall, about 2" deep at the top and 5" at the bottom. That fit two 8" subwoofers. I wanted to preserve the under seat boxes for storage; stuff like air compressors and general stuff for the winch...
Hows your clearance with the seat backs up?

I'm not 100% sure my under seat design will work. I'm aiming for 2 shallow mount 10s. But if I end up with not enough air space and decide to go with 8s I may do something like your setup

AlphaWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Hows your clearance with the seat backs up?

I'm not 100% sure my under seat design will work. I'm aiming for 2 shallow mount 10s. But if I end up with not enough air space and decide to go with 8s I may do something like your setup
Once the rear seats are installed it is in the same position it was with the factory panel installed. So I didn't lose any space. So with the "trapezoid" shape box it gives enough space on top and bottom where they have just enough room and the back of the seats is not right on top of the grills, pretty close thought. The amp also has just enough space to allow for decent circulation to keep it cool by putting it on the other side, where the gap in the seats provides some air flow.

Tortoise788

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Firefighter
Do you think theres enough room under the driver seat for the kicker unit? Thinking about adding it(no premium sound). Just adding the sub and possibly upgrading the speakers in the future.

AlphaWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Just my two cents...but I agree with JSpeed above...I had the upgraded Alpine system on my JTR...the speakers on driver side blew out in less than a month (and no I did not even have the volume close to max, maybe up half way), they replaced under warranty and then a different one blew out in the sound bar....However with my new setup with the two 8" Kicker subwoofers and the Focal 4" Component speakers, all powered by JL Audio 5 Channel amp, there is no comparison on the sound. I also had a bass knob installed in the dash to control bass level too.

MaximusJTRubi

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi
where did you get the wiring diagram? Or, could you post up to the non premium system. I'm adding 6.5 components, and 10" sub and this would help a lot. Thanks!
Sponsored