Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
:idea:
The doors for this mod, the Freedom panels for the Hot Heads...
Now if the main top weren't quite so large!

Kevin
Stand it on its side and angle it through the door.

Gregj

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Gregj
You haven't seen our house....... no way unless I take it around back and bring it in the big steel double-doors down there (the guy who built the house was a contractor and he setup the walkout basement with heavy-duty outlets, full lighting and those steel doors you can bring a full-sized table saw in through - fully assembled)
If not for those, there's no way in xxxx that top could be brought in. We had to take doors off and remove trim to get our first large TV in and back out.

The doors, I was actually considering bringing those in, on the other hand, how much work involved in the cold getting doors off - messing with those hinge bolts, risking dinging up the doors, messing with those straps............ I think I could swap the parts almost as fast as taking doors off, getting them into the house undamaged, then taking them back out and putting them back on by myself........

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff

Gregj
I do have a door large enough, but then I’d be working on it in the living room, and someone here will certainly object to that!

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
The top is less than 24 inches tall so standing on its side it should fit through any door. I have not taken the top of the Gladiator so I don’t know how much it weighs but would be way lighter than a JLU top. Send her shopping and throw a blanket on the floor and you would be done before she got home!

Gregj

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In my case, no reason to bring the top in at all. It isn't broken, doesn't leak, I have the factory "headliner" and it simply works.

Now if I could find a way to get the whole thing in - that's another story.

But like my wife would say - "finish those damn other cars and move them out so you can get something into your shop!" Where it's heated nicely and has almost better lighting than the house does (all industrial LED lighting)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
He could bring it to my shop - I could make enough room I suppose to lay it down on padding and work on it. Turn up that 36' of infrared heat and the top would get nice and toasty.

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 1989 YJ
Occupation
Jeep Headliners
:idea:
The doors for this mod, the Freedom panels for the Hot Heads...
Now if the main top weren't quite so large!

Kevin
What is being installed? Bringing the doors/Freedom Panels inside is a great idea. We recommend following our Cold Weather Installation for our Hothead Headliners if temps are below 70 degrees, but I'm not sure if this would work in this application.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What is being installed? Bringing the doors/Freedom Panels inside is a great idea. We recommend following our Cold Weather Installation for our Hothead Headliners if temps are below 70 degrees, but I'm not sure if this would work in this application.
I use heat lamps in those conditions if something must or should be warm for adhesion purposes. But be careful, you can burn yourself or get the equiv of a sunburn pretty fast.
(if a person doesn't know what those are, ask some local farmer, especially if they have had poultry)

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 1989 YJ
Occupation
Jeep Headliners
I use heat lamps in those conditions if something must or should be warm for adhesion purposes. But be careful, you can burn yourself or get the equiv of a sunburn pretty fast.
(if a person doesn't know what those are, ask some local farmer, especially if they have had poultry)
That's exactly one of the many reasons we suggest our Cold Weather Installation instructions opposed to alternative methods.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
That's exactly one of the many reasons we suggest our Cold Weather Installation instructions opposed to alternative methods.
I'm not in that big a hurry.
Although the heat lamps, along with an electric heater, may just be in my future!

Kevin

Plumbob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT MaxTow, 2015 Harley Triglide, GMC Terrain
Occupation
Plumber
I just received the email. Kit shipping. Thank you Benny

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.