Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the antenna behind the HVAC control was the one used for starting, if i remember right the jeep wont start for my wife when her purse is in the back seat with the FOB.
Gregj
I dunno, my wife had the fob for her GC in her jacket - she took her jacket off and tossed it in the back seat, got in the front and drove to town. She got to town, got out of her Jeep, tried to lock it and it refused to lock. She was baffled as she was sure she had the fob in her pocket.......... but she got home and told me the Jeep was refusing to lock. About that time she looked up on the key hook by the door and found her fob wasn't there. She was rather embarrassed.
Anyway, she was driving around with the fob laying in her jacket pocket in the back seat - and that's why it refused to lock. But it started fine for her.
Maybe JT is much different??
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Those are the body-side connectors, correct?
My Sport S is the same way.
You'll still need the harness inside the door.

Kevin
Yes, no debate on that, but prior posts in other places suggested that Sport owners would need the wiring through the dash as well as the door harnesses. There's even a write-up out there about someone having to run the wiring after installing the new door harnesses because it was missing in the cab itself.
Apparently that doesn't apply to JT people, just Wrangler.

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny

Sponsored

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny
Looks like pulling the whole back wall off to get there.

1607F52A-C633-4180-A822-7D774D1F44B2.jpeg

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Looks like pulling the whole back wall off to get there.

Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 1607F52A-C633-4180-A822-7D774D1F44B2
Weigh your options- tying into one of the door antennas will work for sure. It’s questionable whether or not the dedicated antenna #5 pins are on a JT rf hub, and if so, can they be activated.

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
Those are the body-side connectors, correct?
My Sport S is the same way.
You'll still need the harness inside the door.
Yes, photos of body-side connectors.
Understood, I'll still need to replace the door wiring harness.

The thread on the JL forums says that Sport Wrangler owners need to do body-side wiring mod for those 2 connectors on each side for this mod to work -- photos over there show pins 15 & 16 missing on the body side connectors .

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Yes, photos of body-side connectors.
Understood, I'll still need to replace the door wiring harness.

The thread on the JL forums says that Sport Wrangler owners need to do body-side wiring mod for those 2 connectors on each side for this mod to work -- photos over there show pins 15 & 16 missing on the body side connectors .
I had to add the wires on my JLU Sport. I also built the wires needed for a couple guys over there too.

Gregj

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone interested, I posted a set of add-on harnesses for the proximity door handles over in the marketplace. These are not the entire door harness, but the missing wires/connectors for the door handles. The other end has the terminals that pin right into the missing wire locations on the main door connectors (pins 15&16).
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) DfWyJu6

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/proximity-handles-add-on-harnesses.37236/
Those prices are very reasonable. Too bad I already have the complete harnesses ordered, IF they EVER arrive, that is!

I need to see if you can make me some non-Jeep related harnesses for my restorations!!!

drBassman

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator; 2005 VW Passat TDI; Previous: 1978 CJ5; 1997 TJ Sport.
Has anyone considered trying AlfaOBD?
I can confirm that I successfully used an OBD Link MX+, Chrysler 12+8 bypass cable, my android cell phone & AlfaOBD to "turn on" the Off Road Pages on my 8.4" UConnect radio for my JT Sport S.

AlfaOBD cost $50 on the google play store, and allows UNLIMITED USAGE ON MULTIPLE VEHICLES (i.e. it is NOT licensed for a single VIN). I bought it so that I could add 8.4" Nav radio on my wife's Compass, for instance (which requires Car configuration changes & proxy alignment to work). Plus it supports many other FCA cars -- Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Abarth, Dodge/Ram, Chrysler, Jeep, Peugeot, Citroen, Maserati...

There are *HUNDREDS* of settings it can access on the JT body computer, Passive Entry Present, Passive Entry CSM Present, AP1, AP2, AP3 among them. At this point, I have no reason to believe that AlfaOBD would not work to change these options too!

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I can confirm that I successfully used an OBD Link MX+, Chrysler 12+8 bypass cable, my android cell phone & AlfaOBD to "turn on" the Off Road Pages on my 8.4" UConnect radio for my JT Sport S.

AlfaOBD cost $50 on the google play store, and allows UNLIMITED USAGE ON MULTIPLE VEHICLES (i.e. it is NOT licensed for a single VIN). I bought it so that I could add 8.4" Nav radio on my wife's Compass, for instance (which requires Car configuration changes & proxy alignment to work). Plus it supports many other FCA cars -- Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Lancia, Abarth, Dodge/Ram, Chrysler, Jeep, Peugeot, Citroen, Maserati...

There are *HUNDREDS* of settings it can access on the JT body computer, Passive Entrly Present, Passive Entry CSM Present, AP1, AP2, AP3 among them. At this point, I have no reason to believe that AlfaOBD would not work to change these options too!
It should do almost anything on these - that's doable, that is.......... it just won't work on older Jeeps......

You hinted at something else - OBD Link MX+ is required for access to a number of things, the cheaper "dongles" just won't allow access - even jscan tells you that.

Czajka90

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator, 2016 wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1949 CJ3A
Occupation
Firefighter
Anyone get their order yet from allmoparparts. Been getting around to seeing if I had the harness and I don’t. Been waiting for theses kits to come along and surprised to see they’re finally here. Just ordered mine tonight so I’m sure I’ll pay my due diligence. I say that allmoparparts mentions earlier in the month that they’re finally starting to come around. Waited 3 months for my mopar LED headlight. The absolute mess putting the wire for the halos in per factory directions. I had to take part half the Jeep. I did just manage to score a underseat lock box but had to order new lock cylinders. Waiting on both of those. Attached is what the Jeep looked like once I was able to start fitting the lights. Airbox, batteries....both of them, grill, support mounts, inner fender tire, and some of the passenger side trim had to be removed. Still though not as painful as bushwacker JK fenders.....twice.....wife tore one to bits within an hour after install.

8826EB85-CA16-482F-8837-05A62DA0F1D9.jpeg

1FC4BB93-89FD-4326-848A-C4FF67FFF2E2.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered several weeks ago - nothing yet.
Sponsored