Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland Gator.
Occupation
Cable Dog / Network weeny
Ok, I got the 2 new sensors now I need a nice day off to play with the wiring and placement.. making my bubble bigger with 1 by the tailgate from the center rear connection is going to be my first attempt..
Sponsored

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Ok, I got the 2 new sensors now I need a nice day off to play with the wiring and placement.. making my bubble bigger with 1 by the tailgate from the center rear connection is going to be my first attempt..
If you add the new antenna by the tailgate, and connect it to the center rear antenna in the cab, that won’t work for a proximity tailgate handle. The antenna at rear center in the cab is for detecting the fob inside the vehicle to be able to start it. If your tailgate antenna is tied to that one, and you are near the tailgate with the fob, there will be no response from the tailgate handle switch (lock/unlock) because the hub will think the fob is inside the vehicle and go into fobik safe mode. You must tie into one of the door antennas. Or, you could try using the dedicated rear liftgate/bumper antenna circuits on the C2 RF Hub connector, which would be pin 8 for the antenna signal, and pin 20 for the antenna return.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
I thought the antenna behind the HVAC control was the one used for starting, if i remember right the jeep wont start for my wife when her purse is in the back seat with the FOB.
Gregj

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought the antenna behind the HVAC control was the one used for starting, if i remember right the jeep wont start for my wife when her purse is in the back seat with the FOB.
Gregj
Both front and rear antennas inside the vehicle are for starting and fobik safe, and won’t pick up for proximity handles. The ones in the doors are for outside proximity.

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you add the new antenna by the tailgate, and connect it to the center rear antenna in the cab, that won’t work for a proximity tailgate handle. The antenna at rear center in the cab is for detecting the fob inside the vehicle to be able to start it. If your tailgate antenna is tied to that one, and you are near the tailgate with the fob, there will be no response from the tailgate handle switch (lock/unlock) because the hub will think the fob is inside the vehicle and go into fobik safe mode. You must tie into one of the door antennas. Or, you could try using the dedicated rear liftgate/bumper antenna circuits on the C2 RF Hub connector, which would be pin 8 for the antenna signal, and pin 20 for the antenna return.
what's the location of the RF Hub?
Jeep Gladiator Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup) 1605897783745

Sponsored

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Talk about a pain to try to get to that spot. Got to the one between the doors have to figure out some connection pins to fit in.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Talk about a pain to try to get to that spot. Got to the one between the doors have to figure out some connection pins to fit in.
Which connector, specifically? I can get you the part number for the terminals.

Wilsonb80

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The passenger side antenna connection it’s got a purple tab.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Tip Start is the difference between an Automatic and Manual transmission. It would be an interesting experiment to see if Tip Start would work on a manual, dangerous too!
Gregj
Not dangerous at all if the clutch is depressed. I would hope it would be the same for an auto that it doesn’t work if it is not in park or neutral. My MT Mazda 3 seems to have this feature. A short tap and it cranked until it started. I was disappointed that the same short tap of the JT start button stopped cranking when you let go of the button.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2018 JLUR, 2023 JTuRD
Under normal operation it would be ok, but in the current litigious times a leak in the Hydro clutch would let you try to start the vehicle while in gear and run someone over. Remember we have a Jeep that won’t let you open the driver door with it in gear, too many things to go wrong. How did grandpa live long enough to have children? SMH 🤦‍♂️

Gregj

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is NOT how it works on my manual transmission JTS. I have to have clutch down, then I have to push & hold the start button until engine started. If I let go of the button, it immediately stops cranking.
Referring only to vehicles with TIP start. I never said yours would have it. The topic was TIP START. You don't have TIP so of course it won't work that way.
I bet if you looked using jscan or any other similar tool it won't show that TIP is there/engaged/enabled.

Maybe you missed the parts where I kept referring to TIP START?
You don't have it - you can't.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I completely overlooked this fact when comparing the two BCM configs through WinMerge. THAT was the difference between the two- one was manual, and the other was automatic, and you definitely wouldn’t want Tip start on a manual. Sorry for introducing unnecessary confusion in the thread about this one.
There ya go. That explains it.
It's nothing AT ALL to do with passive entry.
It wasn't an apples to apples comparison at all.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Under normal operation it would be ok, but in the current litigious times a leak in the Hydro clutch would let you try to start the vehicle while in gear and run someone over. Remember we have a Jeep that won’t let you open the driver door with it in gear, too many things to go wrong. How did grandpa live long enough to have children? SMH 🤦‍♂️

Gregj
We've come to the point we don't allow Darwin's rules to apply. It is weakening the human race.
Sponsored