Sponsored

PSA: For Anyone With the 6MT

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
EDIT: THE ISSUE WAS A BAD SEAL BEWTWEEN THE TCASE AND TRANSMISSION, SEE POST #5 FOR DETAILS.

After a 2,500 mile road trip I found a leak that appeared to at the seal between the transfer case and transmission. I could see trans fluid from the transmission drain plug back to the transfer case crossmember bolts. It was not a drastic leak but a few drops, enough to catch my attention. After a trip to the dealer they could not initially determine where it was coming from either. They topped of the transmission, added dye, and told me to drive around for a week. I just got back from my second trip to the dealer and it seems as though the transmission drain plug is the culprit. It is torqued properly so there's something wrong with the plug/washer itself. After some digging my tech told me that this has happened to other gladiators as well but other techs had decided to do new seals and the plug. We are going to start with the plug (which seems to be the issue) and go from there. Of course it will take a week to get a new plug/washer so I won't have an update on that success/failure for another week or two. Once I do I will update this post. So, if you find a small leak don't freak out too much, it's likely the drain plug.

Bonus pic from my roadtrip:

Jeep Gladiator PSA: For Anyone With the 6MT 20210604_141948
Sponsored

Last edited:

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR, 2023 JTM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on mine

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
Hey, @RodRecket, did your leak look like this? Mine looks like ATF fluid from the transfer case, not the 6MT itself.

Did your new plug fix the issue? I just found a small puddle of ATF on my driveway...

Also, was there a TSB or any other documentation from the dealer you can share? Might make my appt go faster...

Jeep Gladiator PSA: For Anyone With the 6MT 1642375699340

Jeep Gladiator PSA: For Anyone With the 6MT 1642375722972

OP
OP
RodRecket

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
Hey, @RodRecket, did your leak look like this? Mine looks like ATF fluid from the transfer case, not the 6MT itself.

Did your new plug fix the issue? I just found a small puddle of ATF on my driveway...

Also, was there a TSB or any other documentation from the dealer you can share? Might make my appt go faster...

1642375699340.png

1642375722972.png
Yep, that's what it looked like when mine was leaking. It wasn't a lot of fluid but enough to be obvious. It was more than a plug issue, the actual trans/Tcase seal was leaking. My dealer service department was great to work with and everything should be covered under warranty for you too. Minimally, your the second person to have this happen so there is already some record of it. See pic for part numbers. Hope this helps

Jeep Gladiator PSA: For Anyone With the 6MT Transmission leak cro

Sponsored

redriderjf87

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
Good looking out, I'll keep a general eye out.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Yep, that's what it looked like when mine was leaking. It wasn't a lot of fluid but enough to be obvious. It was more than a plug issue, the actual trans/Tcase seal was leaking. My dealer service department was great to work with and everything should be covered under warranty for you too. Minimally, your the second person to have this happen so there is already some record of it. See pic for part numbers. Hope this helps

Jeep Gladiator PSA: For Anyone With the 6MT Transmission leak cro
Appreciate it, thanks!

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mine's at the dealer now. I figured they'd want to add dye and send me home, but the tech instead said "can I keep it for the day? I know there's a leak... I don't know where... I'm just going to replace all the seals".

Yessir!

I'll keep this thread updated

I was concerned they would try and blame the front driveshaft output. I bent the flange at the CV joint when I did my lift (lowered the axle toooo much! I was paying attention to the pinion side and not the CV/Xfer case side 🤦‍♂️) The flange is warped a bit, but the CV boot is completely intact and there is no sign of fluid anywhere near the output.

Here's a pic... bonehead move (but the driveshaft still spins without any binding)

Jeep Gladiator PSA: For Anyone With the 6MT 1642604785520

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Update... Looks like an input shaft leak.

Jeep Gladiator PSA: For Anyone With the 6MT 1642690959873

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Got it back this morning... seems to be good so far. Looks like the transmission output seal was replaced, same as @RodRecket. In my case, the leak was not the transmission (otherwise, in my mind at least, the leak would have been brown like motor oil not red like ATF) but they replaced that seal anyway.

They also replaced the input seal on the T-case, which is what is in my picture above with the bell housing and input shaft. I think that was the true root cause, but if they want "belts and suspenders" replacing both seals is fine by me!

Jeep Gladiator PSA: For Anyone With the 6MT 1642783034250
Sponsored