Sponsored

Question: Would a max tow package ride quality suffer??

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
“The difference in springs does not come with the Max Tow, they are listed on my sticker as part of the S package. According to my sticker my max tow has Normal Duty Plus Suspension which is listed as being part of the S package...”

The Sport S pckage springs bdnshocks are different parts, each with there own part number, same with the shocks. I had my dealer parts person look this up, when I ordered the MaxTow springs for my Soet S. The MaxTow springs were physically longer than the Sport S springs on my Sport S sticker listed heavy duty suspension springs. The ride is also a little different, when driving the Spirt S without a load. Also, the MaxTow springs kept the back of my Soirt S from dropping more than an 1-inch with a heavy fire wood load. The same load with the stock Sport S springs, the rear dropped about 2-inches.

He Soirt S has heavy duty springs, the MaxTow sori gs are progressive, giving a softer ride unloaded and then they get stiffer as weight is added, providing more support to the truck suspension.
Cheers
That is good to know. I never take the word on the net, so I've been looking over everything from Jeep that they have in writing and there is nothing mentioned about suspension change. I didn't think to look at part numbers.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Don't go by the sticker because the DETAIL of the max tow is not fully listed.
Part numbers are the only way to know. We've covered this in deep, intense detail a year ago in another half-dozen threads.
Just because the sticker doesn't show specific spring changes does not mean they are identical to the non-max tow springs. Stickers lie, too - they don't tell the whole story.

Give me part numbers from the rear springs of a STOCK SPORT S and I will compare them to the part numbers of the MAX TOW springs I have.
Also post photos of the STOCK SPORT S springs without max tow and I'll compare to mine.

There's only one way to be sure - and window stickers are not it.
Pictures and part numbers.
I have Sport S max tow springs under mine, I have my stock OVerland rear springs and I have Rubicon rear springs here. I can compare them all in appearance and part numbers.

If there's no difference than anyone with a Sport S can sell their rear springs to someone very easily

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Part numbers are the only way to know. We've covered this in deep, intense detail a year ago in another half-dozen threads.
Just because the sticker doesn't show specific spring changes does not mean they are identical to the non-max tow springs. Stickers lie, too - they don't tell the whole story.

Give me part numbers from the rear springs of a STOCK SPORT S and I will compare them to the part numbers of the MAX TOW springs I have.
Also post photos of the STOCK SPORT S springs without max tow and I'll compare to mine.

I have Sport S max tow springs under mine, I have my stock OVerland rear springs and I have Rubicon rear springs here. I can compare them all in appearance and part numbers.

If there's no difference than anyone with a Sport S can sell their rear springs to someone very easily
So the Max Tow springs different from the Sport S, are the Sport S different than the base? It seems like each model has different springs because you are saying that the Rubicon is different than the Max Tow and I'm understanding that the Mohave has a different suspension and so I'm guessing that the Overland is also different.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
So the Max Tow springs different from the Sport S, are the Sport S different than the base? It seems like each model has different springs because you are saying that the Rubicon is different than the Max Tow and I'm understanding that the Mohave has a different suspension and so I'm guessing that the Overland is also different.
@ShadowsPapa Can confirm for sure, but I think that the Sport, Sport S (non Max Tow) and overland would all be about the same. There will be some small variations for individual vehicles, but they are meant to have the same factory ride height & payload so there isn't a reason to change them. Max tow is different because of payload, Rubicon & Mojave each have their own individual height.

There are also variations within each of those that happen based on stock features like a steel front bumper may get a little stiffer front springs, but still shooting for the same overall height.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase

Where do I get this part list. Sounds like a useful thing to have.

Sponsored

BrightWhiteGladiator

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing - Planning & Research
Get the Max Tow! The ride doesn't suffer at all in my opinion. Most people leave the rear springs from the max tow on when swapping over the rubicon suspension. My wife has even commented about how good it rides. I had roughly 650lbs in the bed of mine this weekend, and since it has progressive springs, it drove great and I couldn't tell the bed was loaded down.
Why do you make your wife ride in the back of the truck!?

TOTALLY KIDDING!!!! Saw the joke underhand pitched to me though and had to swing! lol

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@ShadowsPapa Can confirm for sure, but I think that the Sport, Sport S (non Max Tow) and overland would all be about the same. There will be some small variations for individual vehicles, but they are meant to have the same factory ride height & payload so there isn't a reason to change them. Max tow is different because of payload, Rubicon & Mojave each have their own individual height.

There are also variations within each of those that happen based on stock features like a steel front bumper may get a little stiffer front springs, but still shooting for the same overall height.
I know of at least 3 spring pairings for Rubicon - based on the options such as steel bumpers and so on.
I'll try to dig the boxes out that I have stashed in my garage and get all the part numbers, lengths, numbers of coils and so on but here's something to digest - proven by pics, measuring and the fact I've had some of these numbers, and some came from another member -

Rubicon gets anything from a pairing of 449 and 450 rears, or a pairing of 450 and 451 rear coils.
Rubicon set I bought had 449 and 450 rears - which I did not use, they are boxes on a shelf.
The shorter 449 spring has 1 more coil. You can't gauge the stiffness of the spring by the number of coils, or even the height by the number of coils. There's wire size to consider, too - and I noticed the springs I put in have varied wire sizes, thinner in some coils, heavier wire in other coils, in the SAME spring.

Rubicon front spring pair I bought has 339 and 340.
Someone else here had fronts that were 340 and 341 - likely with the steel bumper?

People have argued that it's silly to have that many numbers, why would they do that, no way, no company would do that it's too much to track, too expensive, on and on.
I maybe should scan the steering and suspension pages from my parts books from AMC and show just how many PAGES of nothing but spring numbers there were in the 1970s - and the right and left were different.
Maybe that's one reason AMC went broke, based on what some folks said about Jeep and all the springs - the publishing of the parts book spring pages cost them too much LOL

GarboHD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have only had my Gladiator for 3 weeks and a little over 350 miles. I have the sport s with max tow and 35’s. Ride is great. I little stiff but it is a 4x4. No complaints here. Mileage sucks. But it is not a Prius either.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
MPG will be low the first few thou..

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have only had my Gladiator for 3 weeks and a little over 350 miles. I have the sport s with max tow and 35’s. Ride is great. I little stiff but it is a 4x4. No complaints here. Mileage sucks. But it is not a Prius either.
I'd LOVE to see a Prius do some of the trails these can take - or even pull a 27' camper....... or haul 6 sheets of 3/4" plywood or a load of firewood. If anyone has pics of that, I'm interested.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I'd LOVE to see a Prius do some of the trails these can take - or even pull a 27' camper....... or haul 6 sheets of 3/4" plywood or a load of firewood. If anyone has pics of that, I'm interested.
oh yea?

82954AA2-6BFB-4983-872A-C8BAD94B7BC4.jpeg

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just to muddy the water more, I can think of 6 plus reasons for different springs on a Rubicon JT alone.. with and without hard top, manual transmission vs Automatic towing package vs with out towing package, plastic bumper's vs metal.
Now on to GarboHD have you got the speed calibration for 35 in tires? I'm not running 35s but I normally get 22-24 MPG with my Max-Tow SportS so coming from driving my LJ that's average is about 16 MPG what are you considering crappy MPG?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Max tow Dana wide 210 front axle and Dana wide 220 rear axle.
Sponsored