Ran over a bungee cord on the road. 4500 miles

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
Well, I was headed to the lake today and suddenly blew out a tire. I stopped to change it and saw this:
Jeep Gladiator Ran over a bungee cord on the road. 4500 miles 19030A9B-B135-471E-8C91-99E9347EAA4D

So, who do I need to contact, The dealer? With only 4500 miles on the tires they should be worn pretty close right? Can I just see if they can replace that one tire? Do these come with a road hazard warranty?
Sponsored

DREDnot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV, 1998 M1123
Occupation
Centurion, Earth Occupation Forces
Nearest tire shop(big O, Discount...).
Be prepared to be told its not fixable that close to the sidewall

Im pretty sure the warranty doesn't cover tires/road hazards

Lost_In_The_Woods

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
That's not a warranty issue. That's a road hazard problem. A warranty would be there is a defect with the tire. The fact that something damaged the tire is a road hazard. The dealership might fix the flat, but more than likely it's going to cost you something.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Sorry OP, tires are typically not covered by factory warranties unless you purchased an extended warranty seperately.

The good news is that you can typically get a tire replaced for less than the cost of your comprehensive insurance deductible, repairs are cheaper but that’s close to the sidewall and likely not repairable.

Sometimes, life just gives you crap.

OP
OP

Tackett1980

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT overland
Occupation
NP-C
Sorry OP, tires are typically not covered by factory warranties unless you purchased an extended warranty seperately.

The good news is that you can typically get a tire replaced for less than the cost of your comprehensive insurance deductible, repairs are cheaper but that’s close to the sidewall and likely not repairable.

Sometimes, life just gives you crap.
Is the spare the same tire? Can I have someone move that tire from the spare and onto the factory rim? Then mount the busted one to the spare rim so I can take it home and plug it?

sure I’ll have a spare with a plug, but beats buying A new tire.

Sponsored

sunrise089

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Higher Ed
Is the spare the same tire? Can I have someone move that tire from the spare and onto the factory rim? Then mount the busted one to the spare rim so I can take it home and plug it?

I believe so, but if you can plug the tire why not just plug it as-is?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Just take it to a tire shop and tell them you need a flat repair, and go from there. If you're a member, try Sam's Club or Costco first. If they start talking about not being able to repair, then have them swap the tire off the spare. You can probably buy a set of take-offs from another Jeep owner for the cost of just a replacement tire. I bought a set of Overland take-offs for $500 (wheels and tires with TPMS). Now, I have a new set plus four spares.

TwelveGaugeSage

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kawasaki Z125, 2016 Yamaha WR250R, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Air Force Contractor
That looks like it could be pluggable. Just buy a tire plug kit, stick a few plugs in it and drive on. If it doesn't hold air, time for a new tire. I had a spare for a few months with 4 plugs in the sidewall on my TJ. It held air okay, but I dreaded the thought of needing to use it. In the tread like that it might be okay.

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
99% sure the spare is on a 17" rim, so you won't be able to swap it onto an 18" Overland wheel.

I doubt a tire shop will patch a hole that close to the sidewall, if you're not so risk averse you can buy a plug kit and DIY. Hard to tell at the photo angle just how close to the edge it is, there's also a chance that the hook is causing damage on the inside as well.

Head to a tire shop, they'll be better able to tell if it can be repaired or if you need a new tire, with such low mileage there should be no problem just replacing the one tire

Sponsored

Chris262

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Technician
That hook is too close to the sidewall and physically the hole it made is way too big at this point. Just get a new tire

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link

You could get away with it for a while, I’m sure of it….. but the Bridgstone Dueler on the overland is under $200. For the sake of peace of mind and the fact that it is a brand new truck, in your shoes I would wait maybe a few weeks but would purchase the new tire before any long drives or wheeling trips.

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
As others have mentioned, factory warranties don’t extend to tires punctured by road debris. Personally I’m against plugging tires for any amount of time because you’re just delaying fixing the issue. That puncture is outside the zone of what most places would consider patchable and are going to suggest replacing the tire. Costco or Sams Club would be a good place to start as they tend to have the best prices on tires. If you aren’t a member there, I’d go to a Walmart that has a service center. Otherwise you can just go to any local tire store and get pricing from them. If you have an extended warranty, most the times those come with road hazard built-in. Otherwise when you do replace the tire you can have road hazard added on then. I’ve used Tire Rack to buy tires and had them shipped to a local installer.

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
I’ll second the sentiment.

If that is not something a reputable shop can patch, just throw it away and buy a replacement tire. For goodness sakes, they’re dirt cheap compared to what you just paid for that truck.
Sponsored