Re-engineering the brick (keyfob)

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
I have the AJT fob and like it but it would be nice to still have a way to use the key if and when needed. So if you can figure out how to do that, it would be a game changer. Even if the case just had a slot in it that you could put the loose key into so you can turn it. As RodRecket stated, still fit in the cup holder slot.
Wait... You mean the key is supposed to go in that slot in the cuop holder? I had no idea. I thought that was for my phone.

A-Train

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Not sure if this was posted. But the key itself fits in the back slot of the case. I ordered this the same day I bought the gladiator. 100% recommend. 100% concur with the need to watch video instructions.

image.jpg

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
OP
OP
DC3

DC3

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
Does that one use the original buttons from the OEM fob?
Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) Model S-2

Yes it does. It is smaller than the factory and uses the factory button pad. It doesn't have built-in storage space for the key. I have a design review tomorrow and hope it will be the "final". This leg of the process has taken longer than expected but this is a passion project and takes a back seat to the "real" work ;).

Sponsored

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) Model S-2

Yes it does. It is smaller than the factory and uses the factory button pad. It doesn't have built-in storage space for the key. I have a design review tomorrow and hope it will be the "final". This leg of the process has taken longer than expected but this is a passion project and takes a back seat to the "real" work ;).
I was super excited for this but if it does not have a place for the physical key, at the very least to be stored somewhere, it won't be an option for me anymore. Suppose its the factory key for me.

fyrefight

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiaor Willys Snazzberry
Occupation
Utility Operator
I half expected him to cut/stab himself using the knife to pry it open. That said, I've done the same and yes did cut myself. Lesson learned.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Knew it was going to happen sooner or later, ran my THREEDOM Model M fob through a complete wash and dry cycle today, split the case and blew the moisture out with compress air, everything works as it should even without replacing the battery (I also have proximity locks.)

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
So I received a little surprise in the mail the other day, and finally got a chance to test it...

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) Fob Family

Left to right: (beta) M mini, M+ mini+, (beta) S, stock
The S is a bit thicker, and a wee bit bigger than the M+, but I'm really diggin' it!
It's fit & finish are very good, and it's a lot lighter.
No, it doesn't hold the key, but with the Passive Entry & Keyless Start, the key is kind of an afterthought at this point. I mean, even if you use the key, you'll set off the alarm (if locked with the fob or Passive Entry.)

Kevin

Sponsored

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
So I received a little surprise in the mail the other day, and finally got a chance to test it...

Jeep Gladiator Re-engineering the brick (keyfob) Fob Family

Left to right: (beta) M mini, M+ mini+, (beta) S, stock
The S is a bit thicker, and a wee bit bigger than the M+, but I'm really diggin' it!
It's fit & finish are very good, and it's a lot lighter.
No, it doesn't hold the key, but with the Passive Entry & Keyless Start, the key is kind of an afterthought at this point. I mean, even if you use the key, you'll set off the alarm (if locked with the fob or Passive Entry.)

Kevin
My desire to have the key on my fob would be to be able to lock and unlock the center console, glove box, and rear seats whenever I need to.

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
... even if you use the key, you'll set off the alarm (if locked with the fob or Passive Entry.)

Kevin
Is that right!??? So if your FOB battery goes dead, the truck can't be unlocked without setting off the alarm? Does it continue to blare as you head wherever to find a battery?

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Is that right!??? So if your FOB battery goes dead, the truck can't be unlocked without setting off the alarm? Does it continue to blare as you head wherever to find a battery?
While I have set off the alarm with the key, and promptly shut if off with the remote, I haven't tried it with a dead remote. I'd assume that once you touch the fob to the START button & start the Jeep, the alarm would turn off.

Kevin

acarrera79

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator High Altitude, 2017 Volvo V60
Occupation
Data
The moment you start the vehicle with the rfid chip next to the start button, the alarm will stop. I've experienced it :)

I've applied a silicone conformal coating to my fob's PCB - I just have to figure out how to make the buttons as watertight as possible - I don't want the conformal coating to wick into the buttons and ruin them. I'm hoping the S moves into production soon. I was going to try to CNC a new fob case out of G10, but I'm really struggling with how to design the case in my cad software to reuse the button pad, so I think I'm just going to get the S when it's available.