First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave Sting Gray
Occupation
Software Nerd
There are no stupid questions, right? Right.

If I want to upgrade to 4:88’s or 5:13 does that involve changes in both the front and the rear?

I‘m guessing yes but this is one of the few areas I’ve never done to any of my Jeeps so I’m totally over my head.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Yup, all or nothing.

Tackling this particular task is not for the average DIYer either. One the special tools required (though offset labor cost) then the knowledge for setting the ring and pinion gears isn't something you can just learn off from YT. If your pinion depth or back lash is off, you'll grenade the differentials.

Take this for perspective or my experience. I'll rebuild engines and transfer cases, but I leave the ring and pinion jobs for my buddy. Again, that's me.

Hope this helps? Not only that, in most cases of the install is completed by certified vendor you get a nice warranty. I went down that rabbit hole with my Tahoe. FYI, steer clear of Yukon Gear and Axle ring and pinion sets........since they were bought out they out source to China now. My pinion gear shed 4.5 of it's 11 gears when I picked my son up from soccer practice back in the fall. Had to do a complete rebuild because of it.

Below are pics of the carnage. Both times the ring and pinions with master rebuild kits (bearings,seals,sims, hardware and fluid) we're installed by professionals........I just had Murphy say F you with some bad chinesim parts lol.

PXL_20211025_212343844.jpg

PXL_20211030_135944223.jpg

PXL_20211025_204908878.jpg

PXL_20211025_212328108.jpg

PXL_20211025_212313636.jpg

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Installed my own Yukons. they turned out with an acceptable pattern. Your gonna need a press, bearing splitter, indicators, bearing/race drivers as well as all the normal tools. Gonna take you a while cuz it’s very time consuming.

Jeep Gladiator Regearing for Dummies 46887229-388D-4072-8C73-1D655A127E24

Jeep Gladiator Regearing for Dummies 075D5A8E-5F02-4B8F-AA90-DD8EDF16CBFF

E3791D21-DB62-41C3-9C9C-0992F01A7FDD.jpeg

Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Installed my own Yukons. they turned out with an acceptable pattern. Your gonna need a press, bearing splitter, indicators, bearing/race drivers as well as all the normal tools. Gonna take you a while cuz it’s very time consuming.

Jeep Gladiator Regearing for Dummies E3791D21-DB62-41C3-9C9C-0992F01A7FDD

Well done man🤙

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, all or nothing.

Tackling this particular task is not for the average DIYer either. One the special tools required (though offset labor cost) then the knowledge for setting the ring and pinion gears isn't something you can just learn off from YT. If your pinion depth or back lash is off, you'll grenade the differentials.

Take this for perspective or my experience. I'll rebuild engines and transfer cases, but I leave the ring and pinion jobs for my buddy. Again, that's me.

Hope this helps? Not only that, in most cases of the install is completed by certified vendor you get a nice warranty. I went down that rabbit hole with my Tahoe. FYI, steer clear of Yukon Gear and Axle ring and pinion sets........since they were bought out they out source to China now. My pinion gear shed 4.5 of it's 11 gears when I picked my son up from soccer practice back in the fall. Had to do a complete rebuild because of it.

Below are pics of the carnage. Both times the ring and pinions with master rebuild kits (bearings,seals,sims, hardware and fluid) we're installed by professionals........I just had Murphy say F you with some bad chinesim parts lol.

I'd do it as I was trained years ago and have done all of my own cars, and some for others.
But it's not a matter of taking out old and bolting in the new when swapping gears.
Replacing only seals and bearings isn't a big deal. but swapping gear sets can be a different animal.
You need to set pinion depth, pinion bearing preload, backlash and so on and get the pattern right. And you want both sides - drive and coast sides of the ring gear, to look good.
You'll need gear marking compound (whitish is best, IMO - some use Prussian Blue, but a white or yellowish is more easily seen on the ring gear teeth), and all of the other stuff others have mentioned.
Shims, bearings, seals, I have drawers full of Kent-Moore and other seal and cup drivers, and have made my own by turning down old bearing cups, a press, dial indicator, micrometer to measure shims, and do some math to sneak up on the right backlash, etc.
Ring gear needs to be torqued properly and with an alternating sequence or you can warp things.........

It's heavy work, the torque on things - like the pinion - not for someone only equipped with basic hand tools. I've had to break out my 3/4" drive set more than once.

I either use a bearing puller, or a Dremel with a cut-off wheel and a chisel., or I'm darned good at bearing removal with a torch.

Jeep Gladiator Regearing for Dummies sx4-carrier-brng_3649

Jeep Gladiator Regearing for Dummies carrier-press-on_3722

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'd do it as I was trained years ago and have done all of my own cars, and some for others.
But it's not a matter of taking out old and bolting in the new when swapping gears.
Replacing only seals and bearings isn't a big deal. but swapping gear sets can be a different animal.
You need to set pinion depth, pinion bearing preload, backlash and so on and get the pattern right. And you want both sides - drive and coast sides of the ring gear, to look good.
You'll need gear marking compound (whitish is best, IMO - some use Prussian Blue, but a white or yellowish is more easily seen on the ring gear teeth), and all of the other stuff others have mentioned.
Shims, bearings, seals, I have drawers full of Kent-Moore and other seal and cup drivers, and have made my own by turning down old bearing cups, a press, dial indicator, micrometer to measure shims, and do some math to sneak up on the right backlash, etc.
Ring gear needs to be torqued properly and with an alternating sequence or you can warp things.........

It's heavy work, the torque on things - like the pinion - not for someone only equipped with basic hand tools. I've had to break out my 3/4" drive set more than once.

I either use a bearing puller, or a Dremel with a cut-off wheel and a chisel., or I'm darned good at bearing removal with a torch.

Oh trust me I know and appreciate the process. Everyone car/truck or jeep enthusiast has certain task or project they have no desire to tackle and this is mine.

I work in cyber security and there plenty of task or jobs I have no desire to do........coding or writing signatures for Snort. But I'll read, write and review policy all day or conduct log analysis.......both are task many hate with a passion.

So tip of the hat to you.

Joe Dillard

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave, '91 YJ Wrangler, '17 Ram 3500 CTD
Occupation
DoD Contractor
About 15 years ago I did a "Gear Install Basics 101" thread on another Jeep forum I'm a Moderator on.

Type my user name and topic I mentioned above in google and you should find it.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Oh trust me I know and appreciate the process. Everyone car/truck or jeep enthusiast has certain task or project they have no desire to tackle and this is mine.

I work in cyber security and there plenty of task or jobs I have no desire to do........coding or writing signatures for Snort. But I'll read, write and review policy all day or conduct log analysis.......both are task many hate with a passion.

So tip of the hat to you.
LOL - my shop is full of things that I'd rather not do, but people are begging me to do them and have trouble saying no.

I was in IT - I handled end-point security. I was fine in my duties, protecting the internal network, handling VPN and that sort of thing - then the senior network admin retired with little warning.
Boss comes to me and says "you are in charge now" and I must have given him this deer in the headlight look as he said "all of it, remote connections, it's all yours".
Gulp - I never worked with the core switch, the routing, building out new office connections over 3 hours away.
I had little choice. Man, I was sweating for weeks. Do it or find a different job.

When I was a mechanic one of my bosses kept putting me on harder and harder projects, bringing in things he normally would have never brought it. I complained one time as I felt like I was being punished or given the "crap jobs" and his response - he knew I could do the work.
So I ended up rebuilding burned out wiring, transmissions, differentials, Mid-American's boom trucks, king pin replacement, converting electric systems on tractors. Danged glad we weren't on some sort of commission. I hated seeing those big trucks come in.

There are things I say no to - I could do them, but at this point in life - it's my shop and I can say no.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Gluten for punishment. I have done a few over the years. I stay away from it now. You can pull your hair out setting them up. I tip my hat to you sir. :like:

The last diff I played was on my Nismo. I installed an OS Giken LSD. Set for 1.5 Way with 80% Lock.
Sponsored