Sponsored

Remote start cold temps.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Not an option. Supercharger and modfied PCM. They will claim that is what did it even though the PCM, I am sure does not control remote start. That would be either the TIPM or BCM.

Need to check the voltage as AggieJeep suggested. Just tried it again at 3 degrees with both key fobs and got the 1 honk then the sound of something shutting down, best way to describe it. Low temps can put a good strain on the batteries, so maybe there is something to it. After driving it for a bit the last time I checked it and it worked. Full charge maybe?
A bit of normal driving should keep your batteries topped off on charge. I first check all my connections Just to spot any obvious problems. A tech once reconnected the positive terminal incorrectly putting an aux power ring terminal under the acorn nut that tightens the cable clamp to the battery post on my 2012 JK. The electronics did not like that slightly loose connection at all but it was good enough to drive the starter.

I then will measure voltages with a good meter to ensure what the battery is providing at its posts is making it to the clamps and to the lug in the power distribution / fuse box. Pay attention to the tenth of a volt resolution. 12.2v is not the same as 12.8v for electronics. I don’t know the exact voltage the truck is looking for. Others may have better info but my rule of thumb is 12.7v is a healthy value. 12.2v or so, I replace it. I don’t care for parting with my money much, but I hate standing in a parking lot somewhere with a dead battery a lot more. These things are consumables and can become defective. This truck has two, all it takes is for one to get a little wonky. If you determine that replacement is needed, do both of them, not just one.

Im not saying it IS the batteries. Im just sharing some hard-learned experience. I also have no idea if the other mods would affect the remote start go/no-go algorithm.

Best of luck to you.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
A bit of normal driving should keep your batteries topped off on charge. I first check all my connections Just to spot any obvious problems. A tech once reconnected the positive terminal incorrectly putting an aux power ring terminal under the acorn nut that tightens the cable clamp to the battery post on my 2012 JK. The electronics did not like that slightly loose connection at all but it was good enough to drive the starter.

I then will measure voltages with a good meter to ensure what the battery is providing at its posts is making it to the clamps and to the lug in the power distribution / fuse box. Pay attention to the tenth of a volt resolution. 12.2v is not the same as 12.8v for electronics. I don’t know the exact voltage the truck is looking for. Others may have better info but my rule of thumb is 12.7v is a healthy value. 12.2v or so, I replace it. I don’t care for parting with my money much, but I hate standing in a parking lot somewhere with a dead battery a lot more. These things are consumables and can become defective. This truck has two, all it takes is for one to get a little wonky. If you determine that replacement is needed, do both of them, not just one.

Im not saying it IS the batteries. Im just sharing some hard-learned experience. I also have no idea if the other mods would affect the remote start go/no-go algorithm.

Best of luck to you.
I am leaning towards a voltage issue. I tried to start it yesterday, temps no higher than 10F, no luck. Later I ran some errands and started the truck with push button and it starts just fine. Did my errands and after getting home shutting it off and sitting for a few minutes I tried the remote start and it worked perfectly. To me that says voltage, seeing how cold temps can pull weak batteries down.

So I will basically follow what you stated and work my way through the process. Unfortunately I will have to wait for the temps to come up some and for this winter storm to pass as I do not have anywhere inside to work.

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Another thing to add is if you use the remote start two times without opening a door it won’t work the third time you try it.
Exactly! It's bitter cold here in Iowa right now and all of our Jeeps remote start just fine. Our XK is a 2007 and it doesn't have any issues at all.

The two times 'thing' is always a good place to start diagnosing.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
I haven’t had any issues with remote start until this morning. The temps dipped below 10s with windchill more like -17. It wouldn’t start at all. It almost didn’t want to start once I got in the truck but started once I gave it a few seconds. Battery is only 6 months old.

Sponsored

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
I had read that the remote start will not work in really cold temps. Anybody know if that is true or not?

I have had mine not work a couple times now, temps in the single digits. All I get is one honk with the double tap of the button. All other times it has worked flawlessly.
Nope. False news. -25F....works great.

WaterDR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Overland
Vehicle Showcase
It’s funny to read comments from people that think 15F is cold. Hell that’s balmy here.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Mine has always worked, even down to the low 40s. If it were any colder when I was wanting to go somewhere, I'd move immediately and set the house on fire.

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah that is what I thought, dumb. Kind of defeats the reason for remote start. But like you said, stranger things have been done.
Doesn't fuel level also play into the equation on whether it starts or not?

Sponsored

Biohamat

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
I had read that the remote start will not work in really cold temps. Anybody know if that is true or not?

I have had mine not work a couple times now, temps in the single digits. All I get is one honk with the double tap of the button. All other times it has worked flawlessly.
I live in Fargo ND and this past week got down to a Balmy -24 without wind chill and my factory AutoStart worked flawlessly.

snide

First Name
Big Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator
What was your fuel level? Remote start won't work if you have less than 1/4 tank.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Full tank of fuel

paulinbtr

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
I.T. Professional
Just another data point. My new JT just started at 25F. We are getting down to a low 17 tonight. No contest with all ya all up north.

Kaumajet

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Occupation
Retired helicopter pilot / test pilot / accident investigator
I've had this with mine and it was voltage related.
Sponsored