Remote start cold temps.

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
I had read that the remote start will not work in really cold temps. Anybody know if that is true or not?

I have had mine not work a couple times now, temps in the single digits. All I get is one honk with the double tap of the button. All other times it has worked flawlessly.
Sponsored

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Never heard this ... Makes zero sense to me ... But dumb things happen all the time so I could be wrong ...

Looking forward for someone more smarter than me to answer ..

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Never heard this ... Makes zero sense to me ... But dumb things happen all the time so I could be wrong ...

Looking forward for someone more smarter than me to answer ..
Yeah that is what I thought, dumb. Kind of defeats the reason for remote start. But like you said, stranger things have been done.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The owners manual lists the parameters for what is needed to have the remote start work.

One of them is the battery being at a acceptable charge level. I suspect in really cold temps, the battery capacity dips enough to trip this discreet to keep the remote start from working.

I know with the ESS second battery, the charging system on our Gladiators is somewhat finnicky in keeping a proper charge to both it and the main battery sometimes.

Remote Start.jpg

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Hmm, yeah maybe it is that battery charger level. If so wonder what that is set at seeing as it is driven daily and should be completely charged.

Sponsored

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Military Engineer
Mild winter here in my part of Alaska this year, but we still have had several weeks of below zero temps (along with days and days of 50 to 70 mph winds). Remote start did just fine with my 2020 Glad Rubi sitting outside and not plugged in. Yes, I am getting old and like my vehicle warm in the morning. JTR is equipped with block heater, oil pan heater and battery blanket heater.

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Well apparently temps are not it. I really did not think that would be it but needed to ask.

Wonder what is the deal with mine then. Most of the time it does just fine. Only these 2 times so far.

Only other thing that has happened within the last couple days is the blue screen for backup camera and the skipping audio for the radio. That was only for a startup, after shutting it off and starting again after work it was fine. Wonder if there is something with the electronics, man I hope not.

Sponsored

CerealBlast

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I know for sure that other ram/chrysler vehicles will not start remotely if the hood isn't latched. Hope fully it's not a defective sensor thing?

Also, this is my first jeep so.....

OP
OP
JTPatriot

JTPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Rubicon
Occupation
Proto Shop Technician
Well I have no idea. Remote start worked this morning, then not this afternoon. Just checked now and it worked fine, even shut off using the remote. Ugh, so I do not know.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Mine works fine in the cold, but I had a lot of problems when I had my defective batteries, just before they started to completely fail.

There have been some major issues with batteries out of Mexico being defective. I'd take it to the dealer and have them warranty the battery. And if one of them tests bad, try to push for both to get changed out. It puts a lot of stress on the non-defective one when the other is constantly drawing from it.

Gladman

First Name
Alistair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland High Altitude Diesel
Occupation
Retired
Sounds intermittent to me.
Open the fuse box under the hood and push all the fuses down to ensure they are fully seated. 60% of mine were not, close but not fully engaged.
Sponsored