Remote Start Stopped Working

Jesnamy01

First Name
Jesse and Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2022 Gladiator Sport S
Did you disable auto stop start? If yes, put back to normal and see if that helps.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Did you disable auto stop start? If yes, put back to normal and see if that helps.
That has nothing to do with anything, especially remote starting (FOB or phone app)
Auto stop/start disable only comes into play while you come to a stop light and the PCM determines whether or not to shut the engine off at that stop. It looks to see if the button is enabled to disable ESS. If the button has been pressed, it doesn't care about the other 20-30 criteria whether or not they are met.
If the button has not been pressed, it looks at the list of other items and determines whether or not to stop the engine.
But when the truck is sitting there, turned off in your garage, ESS doesn't have anything to do with anything because it's not even running.
The truck must be started for the PCM to even look to see if any ESS criteria are met.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing happened when my battery was dying. 11k miles.
Possible because a remote start requires things to be in more perfect order than a button start from the seat.

OP
OP
mrmo

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
i took the two wires out of the gateway, plugged them into the extension. Then used both the Tazer and the OBD reader w JScan to look at and change a few things. I unmarried the Tazer and rebooted several times before i used the JScan. So i have to take the end of the extension and reach up and insert it back into the gateway? Im pretty good sized guy, to be able to get to the gateway i take out the panel right under the steering column for more room. The remote would not work w the Tazer married/unmarried and was working prior to any of this. I toggled the auto start stop w the JScan and nothing changed.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i took the two wires out of the gateway, plugged them into the extension.
No, don't do that. You plug them into the gateway and LEAVE them in the gateway always and forever. You don't take the extension out of the gateway.
You don't use them in the factory cables.

I toggled the auto start stop w the JScan and nothing changed.
It's not going to. You can't disable it. Even taser doesn't disable it - taser only recalls the last button state - a LIVE function. Nothing can actually disable it. Taser tells the PCM "OK, driver has pressed the button" even if you have not. No software can disable ESS.

Process:
Unplug factory cables from security gateway
plug extension cables into security gateway
plug factory cables into ends of extension cable

Now choose either A or B:

A. If you want to connect a taser ->
DO NOT take anything out of the gateway
Disconnect the factory cables from the ends of the extension cables
Plug taser into factory cables.
LEAVE EXTENSION CABLES DANGLING FROM THE GATEWAY

A. a. If you want to remove taser ->
Unplug taser from factory cables
Plug factory cables into the lower ends of the extension cables

B. If you want to connect an OBD bluetooth adapter and use JSCAN or AlfaOBD
Disconnect the factory cables from the ends of the extension cables
Plug orange security bypass cable ends into factory cables.
LEAVE EXTENSION CABLES DANGLING FROM THE GATEWAY
Connect OBD adapter to the orange security bypass cable
use JSCAN or whatever

B. b. If you want to DISconnect an OBD bluetooth adapter
Disconnect the orange security bypass cable from the factory cables
Reconnect factory cables to the dangling ends of the extension cables

Once you use the EXTENSION cables, you never ever have to reach up and unplug them from the security gateway - ever. They are ALWAYS plugged into the gateway even if you have nothing plugged into them.

From the time you plug in the extension cables, the bottom ends of the extension cables is what you work with, NEVER top ends at the gateway.

Orange cable is NOT the extension cable.
Orange cable bypasses the security gateway and is needs for the SOFTWARE.
* You do not use the orange cable with taser.
Taser connects to the factory cables - not to the extension cables, not to the orange bypass cable.
The extension cables extend the gateway connections down for you so you never have to reach up there again.

You do not use this cable with taser - this is what I call "the orange cable" even though mine is black and only the ends are orange.
It connects to the factory cables, not to the extension cables, and it is only ever used with an OBS adapter and JSCAN or AlfaOBD. My OBD bluetooth adapter is shown laying on the floor in this old pic -

Jeep Gladiator Remote Start Stopped Working 20210110_111756

OP
OP
mrmo

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Well shite, i have it all hosed up. This wasnt explained by Z-Auto when i bought this crap. No wonder its messed up. Awrighty then...back out in the cold. Thanks for getting me sorted out.

Jesnamy01

First Name
Jesse and Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLUR, 2022 Gladiator Sport S
That has nothing to do with anything, especially remote starting (FOB or phone app)
Auto stop/start disable only comes into play while you come to a stop light and the PCM determines whether or not to shut the engine off at that stop. It looks to see if the button is enabled to disable ESS. If the button has been pressed, it doesn't care about the other 20-30 criteria whether or not they are met.
If the button has not been pressed, it looks at the list of other items and determines whether or not to stop the engine.
But when the truck is sitting there, turned off in your garage, ESS doesn't have anything to do with anything because it's not even running.
The truck must be started for the PCM to even look to see if any ESS criteria are met.
I have a superchips flash cal for wife’s 2020 JLUR and I was playing around with settings. There is an option to toggle the Auto Start Stop (disable/enable) and when I toggled it, she was not able to remote start. After reversing this, the remote Start worked fine.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a superchips flash cal for wife’s 2020 JLUR and I was playing around with settings. There is an option to toggle the Auto Start Stop (disable/enable) and when I toggled it, she was not able to remote start. After reversing this, the remote Start worked fine.
Totally different. You can't disable ESS with software, only a live device. Likely that device was causing the issue.
The button on the dash that disables the ESS has zero impact on remote start.

The "flash cal" was likely the issue. Not ESS.

You can't disable ESS without the truck already running - so how could enabling or disabling it impact remote start.

While the truck is off - not running, it has no clue as to whether or not you are going to press that button to disable ESS after it starts.
And when you shut the truck off, the ESS disable button defaults back to enabled.

I'd bet that device was messing where it should not have been since you can't possibly impact the function of ESS with software.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Well shite, i have it all hosed up. This wasnt explained by Z-Auto when i bought this crap. No wonder its messed up. Awrighty then...back out in the cold. Thanks for getting me sorted out.
Well, that info is right in the description of the extension cable when you buy it. Guess they figured that was explanation enough?

Jeep Gladiator Remote Start Stopped Working 1671757397061

Sponsored

CPTRU1114

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
MFG
Vehicle Showcase
I am having the same issues right now. The main change I had done since the last time I can remember it working was adding the Tazer. Also, since adding the Tazer when I do start the car, I keep getting the AUX switches do not work, battery charging. Could a setting in the Tazer be draining my second battery?

When I click the remote start on my fob, the car makes a clicking sound as if the bettery was dead. however, sitting int he care and pressing the ignition button and the car starts with no issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Could a setting in the Tazer be draining my second battery?
You can't possibly "Drain the second battery" without draining BOTH batteries because they are connected together.
The switches rely on the voltage of both batteries.
If the batteries - PLURAL - are low, below a certain voltage, then the aux switches won't work.

Remote start checks several systems, including voltage, so if the voltage of your batteries (BOTH) is low, remote start may not function.

You need to either charge BOTH batteries and get them both tested (don't rely on the idiots at parts stores, they don't understand batteries or modern vehicles) or charge both yourself and see how things perform.
If the vehicle sits a lot, the batteries, especially when near 3 years old or more, will lose power, they'll drain. And the older they are, the faster they drain and voltage drops because batteries lose CAPACITY with age.

So, your truck either sits for long periods, or you have one of the two batteries going bad or you have added something that is a drain on the system while it sits, unused, or whatever.
But you can't drain just one of the batteries. You can drain both, but not just one.

OP
OP
mrmo

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I found my problem was I tried to turn off the ESS through Jscan and it made the remote start go out. Restored that setting and now its back to normal. My ESS has stopped working whether i have the button pushed or not, maybe the ECU learned that I dont like it and doesnt engage it? Dunno but my batts are good, so who knows

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I found my problem was I tried to turn off the ESS through Jscan and it made the remote start go out. Restored that setting and now its back to normal. My ESS has stopped working whether i have the button pushed or not, maybe the ECU learned that I dont like it and doesnt engage it? Dunno but my batts are good, so who knows
You can't possibly turn it off via software. I don't know why jscan still shows that option when it's just not possible.
No, the ECU can't learn that LOL.

You say the batteries are "good" - what's the voltage when you start the truck - using a volt meter BEFORE you start the truck)

If it's not working, it's indicating you have a PROBLEM with the truck. So in a sense you are ignoring the issue your truck has. When something doesn't work - it means you have problems somewhere.

OP
OP
mrmo

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
I thought the same thing, but batt voltage is 12.8 at the regular batt by meter, and show 12.6 on the gauge cluster with key on
Sponsored