First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Patient Registration
What's the best method to remove the Willy decals from the hood? I feel like YouTubing this could get me in trouble. TIA
Sponsored

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
Just spray it with goo gone or similar and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then use a heat gun and a plastic razor blade to get under it a bit to try to carefully remove it. Keep repeating the process slowly and carefully. Finally clean up the final bit with goo gone and scraping with the plastic razor and a rag in a buffing motion.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi
The easiest method is to buy a Rubicon (just kidding).

I have found over the years that using a hair dryer to gently heat the decals allows you to catch an edge with a fingernail and lift them off without leaving too much glue residue behind.

Just don't overheat the paint. If there is glue left, sometimes using the removed decal, you press the glued side back onto the residual glue and lift it off. Otherwise, goo be gone or a little acetone on a clean rag will take it off. Add a coat of wax when finished and you should be fine.

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
Heat the sticker as described and remove. Glue easily removed with denatured alchohol. Also use a pencil eraser gently back and forth to assist in removing excess glue.

Ghosts40

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladitor Sport
Occupation
Construction Manager
Ive found a heat gun works best for removing decals, Emblems etc. Just gotta be careful! Do not hold to close or in one spot. Hold about 10" or so away and move side to side, works great!

Sponsored

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The easiest method is to buy a Rubicon (just kidding).

I have found over the years that using a hair dryer to gently heat the decals allows you to catch an edge with a fingernail and lift them off without leaving too much glue residue behind.

Just don't overheat the paint. If there is glue left, sometimes using the removed decal, you press the glued side back onto the residual glue and lift it off. Otherwise, goo be gone or a little acetone on a clean rag will take it off. Add a coat of wax when finished and you should be fine.
This, but I think the Willys decal looks great!

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Let us know how it goes. I have a Willys that our family calls Willy, and I keep debating just removing the S at the end for fun.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
I didnā€™t have a heat gun. Used industrial strength Goo Gone followed up with denatured alcohol, repeat, repeat, repeat. Oh and a lot of elbow grease. Perhaps I should of tried the heat gun. ;)

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I've used non-marring scrapers, then goo gone on a cloth to wipe off any residual residue. I've also used fishing line for emblems, works pretty well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
NodrogRide

NodrogRide

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Patient Registration
Thanks all! Sounds like a heat gun, goo gone and patience are the best tools for the job. I also love the Willy decal, just taking one off so that I can put one of those hood name decals on (it's my Valentine's day gift from my old man!).

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This, but I think the Willys decal looks great!
The only thing that makes me have remorse after buying a rubicon, is that itā€™s not a Willys. I love the history. Iā€™d never remove that decal, especially if it said WILLYCON. If someone steals that idea, Iā€™m good with it. Maybe WILLICON instead.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
The only thing that makes me have remorse after buying a rubicon, is that itā€™s not a Willys. I love the history. Iā€™d never remove that decal, especially if it said WILLYCON. If someone steals that idea, Iā€™m good with it. Maybe WILLICON instead.
Itā€™s your Jeep and you can do as you please. I love the Willys history too. I peeled off my Mojave badging and considered putting Willys badging on it but I really like the clean look. I got my head nod to history fix with some ā€œsince 1941ā€ door sills. I see them every time I get in the truck.

0B5E8D6E-3839-431B-A73B-410AB0589CB5.jpeg

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didnā€™t have a heat gun. Used industrial strength Goo Gone followed up with denatured alcohol, repeat, repeat, repeat. Oh and a lot of elbow grease. Perhaps I should of tried the heat gun. ;)
Or a hair dryer. Or if you are down south and its sunny out just let it sit in the sun this time of year.

I often use a hair dryer rather than a heat gun if I want more airflow but less intense heat. A hairdryer is actually preferable in this case, because you can't screw it up and burn the paint and because it pushes 5x more air, you can heat a larger area.
Sponsored