OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Sounds like an excellent reason to have really strong sliders... sorry the OP is going through this. That sucks.
An inconvenience for sure. It will be a month total to get it fixed between inspections authorizations and actual repairs.

Sliders dont mean much if they dont take the impact, unfortunately. Are there any that pivot up to cover these parts?

Something like this but not leaving the pinch seams so exposed to the elements

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-ridge/rrc-rocker-guards-jeep-gladiator-jt
Sponsored

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
In February I was hit from the side by a 2000s Toyota camery. The driver hit ice in a parking lot and couldnt stop. Oh they didnt have insurance. I didnt notice any damage, but it was dark and during a snowstorm. Initial inspection by my insurance company found a small dent.
D288D4D5-E75A-4BC3-A938-BC8EA429D9F6.jpeg

No biggie. My only concern was the seal getting damaged and losing water fording ability. Initial cost: $700

I took it to a body shop that is known by the insurance companies to be...thorough. They have now estimated it is $4k in work!

Now, that's mostly labor with things like color matching adjacent panels, squaring and straightening the body to make sure it didnt get out of alignment (their words, not mine).

Fun fact: the door seal is $700.

49F491A7-08F2-4161-BA34-30209EB1A78D.jpeg

2948E64F-3EA6-4767-A8C9-8DC87118A7EF.jpeg

5A1F7717-70E2-4F06-93E5-915E704C9EDF.jpeg

2057AC8C-FD62-4918-BFBF-DDB3C97E6EC2.jpeg

328C32F3-DA2B-4E1F-A276-AD8522867EBE.jpeg

2 weeks worth of labor.

So folks, even though damage might look minor, it can cost a pretty penny to fix on these new vehicles.
Body repairs can add up for sure. I was sideswiped, body/paint scratch and pulled off my left rear led tail and body damage to the tail light surround area. Still can't figure out how they didnt see me next to them!🤣 Mopar shop told me at least some the tabs break off on every plastic trim piece they remove. Top bed edge protector, inner wheel tub liner, etc... Choice is replace with new or glue it back on. Repair was done at the dealer and it looks like new. Mopar sent a tech to match the factory paint.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
My wife ko'd a coyote in a Veloster turbo.

Body shop estimated $1800 and insurance company settled promptly.

When it was fixed there was a little over $6000 in repairs. Body shop had many excuses and it was one I had used before and has an excellent reputation.

Body shop and insurance company both suck copious amounts of ass and I'll never use either one again.

Point being, if you arent 115% certain that you are getting a good estimate get another one NOT the one your insurance company approved or recommended

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife ko'd a coyote in a Veloster turbo.

Body shop estimated $1800 and insurance company settled promptly.

When it was fixed there was a little over $6000 in repairs. Body shop had many excuses and it was one I had used before and has an excellent reputation.

Body shop and insurance company both suck copious amounts of ass and I'll never use either one again.

Point being, if you arent 115% certain that you are getting a good estimate get another one NOT the one your insurance company approved or recommended
Thanks. Insurance company's body shop estimated under $800. My shop estimated $4200 and insurance company agreed.

phreak480

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubi
Occupation
U.S. Army
Anyone care to explain to me what all the "color matching" is? Seems they are taking down and re-coloring the entire side of the vehicle to match the "new" part they are installing. Why not just color match the one part to the rest of the vehicle? And if they do the entire passenger side, will that not just make the driver side look off?
Because it doesn't actually MATCH. If you paint just 1 panel and stop at the panel line it won't be an exact match to the adjacent panel. What happens is you blend the color across adjacent panels to basically fade them together and hide the difference. This is why so much needs to get painted to correct it. The color will "blend" somewhere in the other panels so that the far end of them is still the original paint color and matches the rest of the vehicle and the near end is blended with the new color and matches the new panel. This is the super simplified version.

Sponsored

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because it doesn't actually MATCH. If you paint just 1 panel and stop at the panel line it won't be an exact match to the adjacent panel. What happens is you blend the color across adjacent panels to basically fade them together and hide the difference. This is why so much needs to get painted to correct it. The color will "blend" somewhere in the other panels so that the far end of them is still the original paint color and matches the rest of the vehicle and the near end is blended with the new color and matches the new panel. This is the super simplified version.
So does this mean I get all the pinstripes on one side removed 😅

phreak480

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 LJ Rubi
Occupation
U.S. Army
So does this mean I get all the pinstripes on one side removed 😅
It's likely depending on where it blends out. Talk to the body shop on the specifics. Also it's a great moment to address other issues it may have at a much lower cost since it's already in the shop and they are already working on it. Heck you might even be able to get the shop to give you a small bottle of touch up paint from what's left over to keep for rock chips. I used to do that for any customer that asked.

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will hopefully be getting my Jeep back today. The shop is waiting on...wait for it...a rock rail. Apparently it got scuffed and being a "textured part" it has to be replaced. I said don't bother, I paid $150 for the set, there are 3 more on FB marketplace for $200, and it's a freakin rock rail. The bracket/mounting point of the rail got bent so it won't go back on, but they can straighten that out, or I can get a replacement rail. Lesson: follow-up with the shop.
Sponsored