Replace spacer with coil springs

Scomosr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
When I bought my Gladiator it had a rough country spacer lift. The front spacer measures like 3.25”. I want to replace the spacers with springs. Can I buy 3.5” coils to replace them? I’m just not sure if it is direct replacement like that. It has longer shocks and sway bar end links already. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Sponsored

Not2Late

First Name
Tarik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2017 Jeep JK
Occupation
Education
When I bought my Gladiator it had a rough country spacer lift. The front spacer measures like 3.25”. I want to replace the spacers with springs. Can I buy 3.5” coils to replace them? I’m just not sure if it is direct replacement like that. It has longer shocks and sway bar end links already. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
You would have to buy new front springs that are specifified to add 3.5" of lift. That way, they would be long enought to include the lift of the current springs (assuming stock) and the added 3.5" of added spacer. Then swap the current springs and spacers out with the new longer springs. Looks like you are covered in terms of longer shocks and links. What's the rear look like?

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
What you have to watch for is that the actual lift and advertised lift are coming up 2 different dimensions.

Some places when they design and make springs it is for the Rubicon and any other trim level except Mojave ends up gaining more lift than advertised.

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
A 2.5" lift coil from most manufacturers will give you closer to 3.5" of lift in the front.

Obviously it varies, but most companies give the quoted length in the rear, and take out half or all of the rake in the front. Which is roughly .75-1.5" more, in my experience. So a 3.5" front lift coil will probably lift 4.5"(ish) higher than stock.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What you have to watch for is that the actual lift and advertised lift are coming up 2 different dimensions.

Some places when they design and make springs it is for the Rubicon and any other trim level except Mojave ends up gaining more lift than advertised.
There isn't any way any company can say "these springs will lift any Gladiator 2"" but they CAN say that a 2" spacer will lift any Gladiator 2" (over stock curb height)

If you mean buy 3.5" coils to replace the spacers - NEVER EVER stack coil springs.
Either use spacers with the coil springs, or use coil springs long enough with enough spring rate to lift the truck the amount you want over curb height.
Since these trucks all have slightly different curb weights, depending on the "trim level" and OPTIONS, no one can say "this spring will lift your truck xx" "
All they can do is say "it is made to lift a JT Rubicon 3" " and then figure out whether or not your truck is heavier or lighter, etc.

Even then it's going to vary. I put springs under the front of my Overland that were marketed and sold as "lifting a loaded Rubicon 1" " and guess what - they put my Overland back at stock height after I added a steel bumper and winch. I got no lift per se. It simply gave me back the stock height.
(which tells me that my truck is heaver than what they used to determine their lift height)
To get the front of my truck lifted 1", I'll have to put springs under the front made to lift a Rubicon 2"

My 2020 - I had Rubicon front springs under the front of my 2020 Overland and it raised it all but 1"
Others have used similar springs and gotten over 1" while others say they got only 3/4"

So - YMMV, no matter what you do -but if you want an exact amount, spacers are the only thing that will guarantee that you get 'exactly' that amount of lift.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Scomosr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies. I couldn’t find any info on swapping although I’m sure someone has done it before.

The rear has what looks like a 2” ish spacer on top of the coil.

OP
OP

Scomosr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the replies. I couldn’t find any info on swapping although I’m sure someone has done it before.

The rear has what looks like a 2” ish spacer on top of the coil.
And just because we have to post pics this is from my trip where we stayed the night at Alstrom Point UT

E5070DF8-9C5F-4F29-BD2C-455473AFAD14.jpeg

0B080B5E-E292-4A60-9110-520C09066FC7.jpeg

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
You should be able to swap for a Clayton 2.5 front and end up more or less where you are right now..if you need a little more after that you can use either the terraflex .5 or 1" or stack them for 1.5" (they are made to be stackable)

Panthers65

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Occupation
Account Manager
I did exactly what you are describing, the spacers rode fine but put the top of the coil too close to the bottom of the bump stops for my comfort. I found a set of 3.5" Teraflex coils for a steal and swapped them out.

The ride height was within an inch of where it was before, rode a bit better, although not a huge difference.
Sponsored