Replaced Auxiliary Battery now Truck won't start

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
So I had the dreaded stop start not ready and aux switches not available messages and slow start. So being proactive I replaced the Aux Battery today with a new Aux . Now I only get a push brake and press start button with dome lights.

No other accessories will come on. It's almost like it doesn't even recognize the FOB. I'm not sure what to try next.

Pretty pissed right now you should just be able to change the battery and have the thing work :mad:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Both batteries need replaced.

Be careful that the battery cables do not contact anything in the engine bay while changing the batteries.

OP
OP

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Or you'll be replacing big money fuses.
I removed the main then the Aux batteries and tried to be extra careful to make sure that they didn't touch each other or anything else. I would be surprised if they did. I pulled the batteries and tested them all are reading under 12v even the new aux battery I just purchased. However, it is 20 degrees here right now. I'll put the new aux battery and the main on the charger tomorrow and reinstall to see if that helps.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
Phew! :whew: You guys had me questioning my life choices and I started second guessing myself. I was running through all of the steps thinking I inadvertently touched a ground. I put the main on the charger but it would not take a charge higher that 11.8v. So both batteries were dead.

I went to Napa got a new main battery and put it on the charger. Installed the new battery and...

Cranked right up!.

For anyone who reads this thread in the future. If you are going to replace one, replace both. Go through he wheel well to access the Aux Battery.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
But, did you check the bearing clearance on the kneuter valve?

OP
OP

Shopshirt

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator
my kneuter valve is all good! :)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Phew! :whew: You guys had me questioning my life choices and I started second guessing myself. I was running through all of the steps thinking I inadvertently touched a ground. I put the main on the charger but it would not take a charge higher that 11.8v. So both batteries were dead.

I went to Napa got a new main battery and put it on the charger. Installed the new battery and...

Cranked right up!.

For anyone who reads this thread in the future. If you are going to replace one, replace both. Go through he wheel well to access the Aux Battery.
And like I keep preaching - CHARGE those batteries before installing them.

under 12v even the new aux battery I just purchased. However, it is 20 degrees here right now.
Yeah, that's no big deal. It just makes it take more to charge them. Still should read 12.8 when fully charged.

Tim Detour

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR-D
Occupation
I&E
I changed my batteries yesterday too. Thankfully the diesel aux battery is a simple task.
Sponsored