Sponsored

Totally screwed: Installed new Auxiliary Battery and now truck won’t start with multiple errors

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Threads like these make me love the internet. OP came in, wrote a post, still hasn’t come back and y’all have diagnosed every possible issue. Makes for good reading in the future, I just wish people wouldn’t post and run as much. Hopefully they come back to let us know what the resolution was.
I was guessing he's still hungover.
Sponsored

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
Tangentially related, but my dealership, who just replaced my main and aux battery under warranty says I should get rid of the aux and that the whole ESS is a major liability in these vehicles. They don’t even care about the Tazer. The truck died. The wipers, while off at the stalk, turned on and shredded themselves. Thanks, ECU. 😖. The whole truck went nuts and threw 32 codes.

link to my long a$$ post on the subject…

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...after-aux-battery-replaced.65858/post-1106592

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
Hi for anyone in the market for a battery tender, I have these for sale in multiple quantities. I got them from a business liquidation. I will be posting in the market place but thought this thread was appropriate. Dm if you are interested, will be sold cheaper than any price online. Thanks.
Jeep Gladiator Totally screwed: Installed new Auxiliary Battery and now truck won’t start with multiple errors 20230227_124622

Flyboy2109

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator, 2004 CTS-V, 2001 Tahoe, 1990 Dakot
Occupation
retired Pilot: USCG, Delta, Netjets
Sport S with a manual tranny, override on start stop: I just plain removed the aux battery. My JT will be stored for 6 months of the year with the batteries pulled. I do not need to keep going in for the aux batt every six months. The terminals for the aux bat are now connected to the main. Eventually I will get the slightly bigger battery when this main fails. The other more expensive solution is the aftermarket dual battery system that is too expensive for my taste-but well engineered. With the apparent failure rate of the aux batt I am glad to be rid of it.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
What? The wheel well is faster, easier, and less risky.... what can of worms? Yes I've been in there myself. I've also taken off the PDC to access the firewall grommet for wiring....
I was thinking the same thing. Much easier. I've replaced my batteries twice through the wheelwell. Once at 52,000 miles and again 82,000 miles later.

Sponsored

porsharman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
Tangentially related, but my dealership, who just replaced my main and aux battery under warranty says I should get rid of the aux and that the whole ESS is a major liability in these vehicles. They don’t even care about the Tazer. The truck died. The wipers, while off at the stalk, turned on and shredded themselves. Thanks, ECU. 😖. The whole truck went nuts and threw 32 codes.

link to my long a$$ post on the subject…

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...after-aux-battery-replaced.65858/post-1106592
I have posted on this forum previously that the ESS/ aux battery is the JL/JT Achilles heel and the best thing you can do is eliminate the aux battery , remove the F42 fuse, and Tazer the ESS. My post was met by a bit of pushback. My logic was having witnessed people at various trailheads becoming stranded by the mysterious aux/ESS issues I chose to eliminate this function by doing the above. I have had no issues with deleting my aux battery and not using the ESS function. Now can my main battery fail …… sure but sorting it out is much more straightforward.

Wolf Island Diver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
Occupation
Software Engineer
My post was met by a bit of pushback.
Yep. That’s why I posted my experience with my dealership which is one of the bigger Jeep dealerships in Virginia. They’re telling me the same thing as you based on all of the issues they’re seeing. Their recommendation is to remove the Aux battery. They agreed that it’s a liability and the benefits of ESS aren’t worth leaving you stranded on the trail.

Edit:
I’m sure I’ve defended ESS myself in the past. Generally it does save fuel in aggregate. The effects on starters are debatable. But here’s something you won’t read very often on the internet. If I defended ESS on the Jeep in the past, I WAS WRONG. Based on my recent nightmare and my dealership’s view, I’d rip the aux battery out and disable ESS before venturing off road. This is important. A jump pack will not start the truck if the Aux battery is dead. It took 30 minutes of a FreightLiner in high RPM mode to get my batteries charged enough to start the truck and another 10 of me sitting with my truck at 2000 RPM to get the truck to stay running. The dead batteries caused physical damage to the vehicle. Had this happened 1 day earlier, my DEF could have frozen. Symptoms were mild and only consisted of an Aux battery warning prior to this happening.

Last edited:

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
Another thing about ESS is that, according to the dash guage, the oil pressure takes almost two seconds to rise to normal on restart. If you take off immediately on restart it may not be at full oil pressure.

porsharman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
Another thing about ESS is that, according to the dash guage, the oil pressure takes almost two seconds to rise to normal on restart. If you take off immediately on restart it may not be at full oil pressure.
I would also mention that having aux/ESS issues in a mall parking lot and having them off road is not comparable at all. The parking lot is extremely annoying off road potentially catastrophic.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
The fuel savings are negligible.
Want to really save fuel? Manually force higher gears when highway driving and rapid acceleration isn't needed.
I ran a 70 mile trip today and did that and it averaged 22.2.
Mojave, 2 inch lift, 35's

Without the manual manipulation it's 17.7.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I am not worried about 2 seconds of until full oil pressure as enough oil is held in film retention on any lubricated part. The Achilles Heel of the Pentastar lubrication system is actually on a cold start as oil film retention is minimal and the oil filter assembly does not have a anti drain back valve and has to refill each time.

The biggest mechanical wear of Pentastar engines has not been ESS, but shoddy assembly of valvetrain components and heat treat. Even then, that is a small occurrence.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Hi for anyone in the market for a battery tender, I have these for sale in multiple quantities. I got them from a business liquidation. I will be posting in the market place but thought this thread was appropriate. Dm if you are interested, will be sold cheaper than any price online. Thanks.
Jeep Gladiator Totally screwed: Installed new Auxiliary Battery and now truck won’t start with multiple errors 20230227_124622
I don't think they would work correctly for an AGM battery, plus you would need to follow forum rules for posting items for sale.

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
I don't think they would work correctly for an AGM battery, plus you would need to follow forum rules for posting items for sale.
It will be posted in the market place according to admin rules. The 2 models will work with an agm battery, the other one is for a lithium battery.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
If you did this without issue, then no worries;)
And by the way, I have to ask, how was it faster to go through the wheel well? A couple douche bags on YouTube did it? Is That the proof? Reality is that removing the main battery, a few bolts, and then the aux battery is super easy, not sure removing the wheel and everything else, potentially leaving the main connected or frying other things is an appropriate loophole for true process.
I’m a bit salty tonight
The clear solution for this issue is to trade in your vehicle on a diesel model. You see, the trap door for the Aux battery is under the main battery...problem solved.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
It will be posted in the market place according to admin rules. The 2 models will work with an agm battery, the other one is for a lithium battery.
I saw the lithium one, but the other 2 didn't say AGM. I downloaded the manuals, and of course you knew that you were right.
Sponsored