Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I checked our ordering system here and it only shows the Remote Proximity Entry being a required option on Rubicon

upload_2020-1-7_12-7-2.png
Wish it had been required or standard on the Overland - our guy didn't get it checked on the order form........
Sponsored

Robtco99

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 wrangler, 01 cherokee
Any changes on this? I'm opting for more of a base model Rubicon, so I have no interest in the added on safety stuff

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Any changes on this? I'm opting for more of a base model Rubicon, so I have no interest in the added on safety stuff
I checked our ordering system here and it only shows the Remote Proximity Entry being a required option on Rubicon
Choosing the front camera option adds on the LED Pak though, for some reason.

DTDHI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra, 2014 Toyota Prius, 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 ZX14R
Choosing the front camera option adds on the LED Pak though, for some reason.
At the time of this post placing a SOLD order on a Rubicon with the XNY Integrated Off-Road Camera requires the following options:
AD6 LED Lighting Group
AEK 8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group

DTDHI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota Tundra, 2014 Toyota Prius, 1999 Jeep Cherokee, 2018 ZX14R
This would be an example of fewest options you can order currently on a Rubicon Gladiator with Automatic or Manual options
upload_2020-1-10_14-33-16.png

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
At the time of this post placing a SOLD order on a Rubicon with the XNY Integrated Off-Road Camera requires the following options:
AD6 LED Lighting Group
AEK 8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group

My preference would be to have Rubi with 8.4, premium audio, camera and some other items but no safety or LED. But it is what is. Much appreciate the info! Thanks for helping us out.

Quick

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
Have there been any changes with order requirements for the rubicon ?

JeepChak12

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazda Miata GT
Have there been any changes with order requirements for the rubicon ?
It appears there have. As of yesterday, it looks like Jeep was forcing you into Hardtop (somewhat shocking), tonneau cover, proximity key, and all weather floor mats. We were shocked to see that you can't actually order a base Rubicon with no options if you wanted to. One guy at the dealership said that it's probably b/c jeep has a warehouse full of those items, and wants to push them out the door.

I think that's real BS. You're already going above and beyond for a truck, so forcing you into 'options' like proximity key which should be inlcuded on a $50K vehicle in year 2020. If they need to move them, include it and raise the MSRP, and do it on the website so there's no surprises at the dealership.

Quick

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
I agree but I think they should start eating some of the cost of that stuff, I’m not even a huge fan of the proximity locks, plus I’m ordering soon and I don’t want the hassle of a forced “custom” order

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
It appears there have. As of yesterday, it looks like Jeep was forcing you into Hardtop (somewhat shocking), tonneau cover, proximity key, and all weather floor mats. We were shocked to see that you can't actually order a base Rubicon with no options if you wanted to. One guy at the dealership said that it's probably b/c jeep has a warehouse full of those items, and wants to push them out the door.

I think that's real BS. You're already going above and beyond for a truck, so forcing you into 'options' like proximity key which should be inlcuded on a $50K vehicle in year 2020. If they need to move them, include it and raise the MSRP, and do it on the website so there's no surprises at the dealership.
I'd check around. A tonneau is required? That sounds really fishy.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
I'd check around. A tonneau is required? That sounds really fishy.
I agree. Sounds to me like dealership B.S. When I ordered around 1/1, there was no mention of anything being required. I came in with my list (edit - from their website "build & price" utility), got exactly what I wanted and nothing additional, not even a single dealership add-on (see my options in my signature.) They are called OPTIONS for a reason. If they were required, why wouldn't FCA just include them in the trim level and adjust the base price accordingly?

(edit) Obviously some options are contingent on other things like the camera and a screen to display it. These are clearly indicated on the build and price utility.

Last edited:

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I ordered 3 weeks ago and none of those were required. My build did not include a tonneau or slush mats.

Quick

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU
I can only hope they don't try to add these on, like i said im ordering soon but the proximity locks are required and i dont really want those or want to pay for them. At any rate i think its ridiculous that they can force anything on a custom order...

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
If they wanted to force options, a more acceptable method would be to only offer option bundles, just like all the foreign auto companies do. Of course many of them don't offer custom orders at all.

If it's true that you absolutely can't purchase a bare-bones Rubicon for the advertised base price, that's down-right fraudulent in my book.

Robtco99

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 wrangler, 01 cherokee
It's starting to sound like the sport s with max tow and truck of the year package are the way to go, especially since limited slip is now included. It's what I would have ordered but they discontinued punkn...

It seems like they are really dropping the ball on this, discontinuing orange, discontinuing manual transmissions, forcing rubicon options, truck of the year coming out mid year(saving $ on ordered ones not ones on lots),no max tow on sport(not sport s)now, brake controllers coming out mid year....
Sponsored