First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
My 2020 Overland (Ordered May '19, Delivered July '19, 19,7xx miles on her) sometimes, when going over bumps on the highway, the rear wants to bounce to the right.

I have had this issue in other pick-em-up trucks that I've driven, as well as other rear wheel drive cars. I think that when the rear wheels are bouncing or don't have contact with the pavement for those split seconds, the engine torque will cause the desire for the rear to want to swing to the right.

Not an issue for me, I learned to anticipate it. As soon as I feel the front wheels go over the bump, I anticipate the rear wanting to bounce to the right and get ready for any required correction.
Sponsored

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
This JT is my 1st new Jeep, but it's my 8th Jeep. And I've driven my share of JK and JLU.

Comparing any Jeep to any vehicle of similar year Jeeps are the worst handling freeway vehicle, or the feeling of being the worst. Besides being the least comfortable. Drivers just get used to it. Definitely not the best commuter. The JT does better thanks to that WB. As I go down the 10 doing 70 I see that I get passed up by other Jeeps (JLU, JT, JKU). The speed limit in the city area is 65. And they are doing 80 or more. At 70 to 75 i'm comfortable with this JT. My '95 YJ runs ok to 70. That's it. Wind resistance, live axles, everything pretty much has old technology trying to keep pace wit cars with new tech.

And what's up with manufacturer running higher tire pressures? Used to be 35 ish PSI Now its 41? Probably contributes to minor bump steering issues.

First Name
SKU
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy’s Gladiator
Occupation
Blue collar
MSRP or purchase price? I’m talking MSRP. I bought mine in March o 2020 when they were giving them away so I won’t get into what I paid for it.
Stickers on the window. When I go by and get my free car wash a couple times a week I always walk over to the newbie’s and just look at the stickers and say damn I bought at the right time.

Readyt

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rimtyme.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Franchise Business Consultant
Lower the air pressure in your tires. It makes a big difference. I have an Overland with a Mopar 2" lift and 35" Nittos and set them at 32 lbs cold because they will increase4-8 lbs on long trips in the summer. In cold weather I set them at 35. On my stock 18" Overland wheels and tires, I did the same.
Just finished a trek to the Rubicon, plus 4 BOH trails, and back, to DFW over two weeks and 4080 miles and it rode fantastic!

6-18-22 Trip to Sedona (5).JPG

6-23-22 The Rubicon Trail    (3).JPG

6-18-22 Schnebly Hill Road (47).JPG

IMG_E3384.JPG

OP
OP
vital04

vital04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willy
Occupation
SM
Lower the air pressure in your tires. It makes a big difference. I have an Overland with a Mopar 2" lift and 35" Nittos and set them at 32 lbs cold because they will increase4-8 lbs on long trips in the summer. In cold weather I set them at 35. On my stock 18" Overland wheels and tires, I did the same.
Just finished a trek to the Rubicon, plus 4 BOH trails, and back, to DFW over two weeks and 4080 miles and it rode fantastic!
Wow those pics are awesome. that lake looks amazing. I am going to lower the air today and will report back with the results. I have a few things that are coming into today for the glad and need to go pickup.

Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Is this your first Jeep? If you are coming from a vehicle world with IFS and into a solid front axle set up, you will notice a big change. Some of us who have driven jeeps forever will say that this is the best Jeep ride we have ever had. Like some others have said, reduce the air pressure in your tires. If the pressure is too high, its like you are riding on balloons. When I switched to 37's, the pressure was set at 40 from tire place. I was bouncing all over the place. Once lowered to 32 psi, I haven't had an issue since.
I've said it here, and I'll say it again. it's a Jeep and you don't drive it, you herd it. My 2020 Rubicon is as safe and as easy to drive as any truck I have ever owned.

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Gladiator Riding on the highway, hitting bumps, white knuckles at times IMG_E3384.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Riding on the highway, hitting bumps, white knuckles at times IMG_E3384.JPG

less than 2 weeks we will be in Sedona for five days. Cannot wait

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No giggity intended, I’ve always preferred my jeeps suspension on the stiffer side. Ive rode in a mess of different jeeps and the softer suspensions have more body roll and feel sorta like a 70s Cadillac to me in how they bounce. The stiffer suspensions make me feel more connected to the road and stable in all conditions.

Just my $0.02
Sway bars can make a huge difference on roll and sway as well. These are a compromise sway bar, IMO. Not bad for the road, really, but a lot depends on your center of gravity for roll and sway as well. There's a heck of a science in roll bars - and it takes into account the weight shift (which a lift will impact in negative ways because it increases weight shifting by a fair amount. I've got a chart of how various sway bars impact handing - which ones do what and so on.

To a point, "softer" suspension will keep the tires planted better - but there's a point where it goes the other way, too.

And even I forget to keep springs and shocks in perspective - shocks are another matter - they help prevent excess roll and make the ride harsh or smooth - depending.

Seriously, stiff suspension actually leaves you less connected with the road! You don't have the spring compression to deal with the dips and holes.

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Stock Mojave 2021 tires @ 38psi .. following my buddy home after him picking up his new Motorcycle and to catch up to him on the interstate before I knew it I was going 91 MPH and it felt smooth as silk !

Last edited:

Bruno369

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Grand Cherokee L Summit,
Occupation
Retired
2021 Overland
I have 22,000 miles Highway interstate gravel and off road. Trailered 5,000 pounds through michigan snow and wind. Never had issue # 1
one white knuckle event involved an 18 wheeler drifting into my lane in a narrow construction area.
I have read of these drivability issues but I have also drove old mack trucks that wander like a bloated cow.
The gladiator is smooth and tight
I have owned Or leased over a dozen different Jeeps and now I drive a Mojave. I also live in Michigan and our roads are pretty bad, so It actually surprised me that it handles much better than I thought it would.

Sponsored

OP
OP
vital04

vital04

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willy
Occupation
SM
I followed the main suggestion of lower the air pressure of the tires and wow definitely made a noticeable difference in the ride at faster speeds. Also checked the shocks for any oil and they are all fine. I am going to save up for the falcon shocks but, for the ride I am fine with it and take my time for those. plus with the jeep I really dont drive that fast I just enjoy the ride with the top down.. thank you all for the great suggestions and replying back this is indeed a great community!

77badriand

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2017 Jeep JK
Sorry didn't read through all the post, mine was kinda same from factory.

Once i went to a fox steering stabilizer and rancho track bar, night and day difference.

I have evo lower control arms now, metal cloak upper control arms w/37's and a 4 inch lift rides great bumps, dips, pretty much anything all one handed don't panic about like i did from factory.

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Stock Mojave 2021 tires @ 38psi .. following my buddy home after him picking up his new Motorcycle and to catch up to him on the interstate before I knew it I was going 91 MPH and it felt smooth as silk !
The fox shocks in the Mojave are pretty incredible for a factory shock.

Can’t wait to swap our jtrd to 2.5 factory race fox shocks…. Closest thing we will have to the Mojave shocks.

notoriousms33

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 21 mojave
I only have experience with the falcons, so can't directly compare with bilstein. Although AEV uses bilstein and they obviously know a thing or two about jeeps.

But the falcons set on "soft" are notably stiffer than oem and are a huge improvement in ride control.

I think the takeaway is that the oem shocks (all 5, including the steering stabilizer) are overly soft, there isn't enough front axle caster, and the steering box comes with a sloppy adjustment. This makes for a ride and steering that is all over the place. I've changed all of the above and my jeep drives and rides like a dream. Used to be exactly like what the OP was posting
How exactly to adjust caster?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
How exactly to adjust caster?
Replace parts. You can't adjust anything but toe-in on these.
You need either longer lower control arms, or adjustable control arms or different brackets if you have a lift.
As they come from the factory, you can NOT adjust caster or camber. They are set and non-adjustable without swapping parts. For stock vehicles, it's generally "not needed". Lifted vehicles- that's a different animal.

What makes you think you "need" to change caster? Does the truck wander? Does it not return to center or "straight" after a turn?
Sponsored