First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Tough to find 9/16" rubber strips or sheets, 1/2" is common, found one 1/2" X10'X1" for $40, but same thing 2" is $55, same thing three inch wide is $65, 3" would probably do three caps....still looking.
Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had Alucab canopy on my Taco and even through several winter trips to VT, NH & ME never had a freezing issue. I’m in NJ and we get some snow and a decent amount of sleet/icing/cold temps but still no issue.

I was actually surprised to hear this was an issue for others?

The Canopy was solid but I upgraded to their Canopy Camper. Digging that as well but this will be the first winter with it so can’t speak firsthand but latches seem nearly the same so I’m not worried.
My latches did in fact freeze a couple of nights back. It was low-20 degree morning, before the sun came up, and I was unable to get the windows open. When I tried again around 10 am or so, in the mid 30s, they opened without issue. I'll be carrying around a small bottle just in case. I usually carry a small spray bottle of water/vinegar mixture for the windshield in the winter anyway, so not a huge deal.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Going with Rubbersheetwarehouse.com in Calif.
Could not find 9/16" so went with 3/8" and 3/16" strips with adhesive, for 9/16" total.
was not cheap but got enough for two caps, each strip is 2" wide by 10 feet.
items are:
Neoprene rubber strips 60A medium with adhesive ..3/8" X 2" X 10', and 3/16" X 2" X 10'
Total cost including free shipping is $80.00, having it the whole way and glued to bottom of cap sounds like better chance of not settling as much with a 140 lb. Falcaon hard top RRT. I'm getting stainless unisturt with no holes and going to build my own rail syatem, going to clamp top with three clamps on each side to start, let it settle then I'm going to cut stainless angle into thin perhaps two inch wide sections , hang them over the rail drill one hole centered , then thread in 316 stainless eyebolts into strut clamps, will give me four tie downs on each side and four clamping locations each side. Yes, I'm going nuts!

One traveler depending on timing, I could USPS you what you need....Jax Max

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
Tough to find 9/16" rubber strips or sheets, 1/2" is common, found one 1/2" X10'X1" for $40, but same thing 2" is $55, same thing three inch wide is $65, 3" would probably do three caps....still looking.
Yeah, i'm finding that is difficult to locate. Wonder how hard this would be to cut? Not exact size, but close(ish):

.5" Sheet Rubber - Amazon

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One traveler depending on timing, I could USPS you what you need....Jax Max
Holy Crow! that seems like a great solution. If it works out, I'd be happy to buy from you and cover shipping!

Sponsored

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
Not trying to make trouble here (I’m still waiting for my cap) but shouldn’t RSI be shipping you guys the necessary 9/16 rubber blocks? And I guess I’m wondering if updated blocks will be shipping with my cap?

zprovo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator BMW-R1150GS Toyota-FJ60 Porsche-914
Occupation
Architect
This may be a situation where jeep owners are the dream client...
Manufacturer: “We have identified a problem with our product.”
Jeep owner: “Hold my beer.”

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to make trouble here (I’m still waiting for my cap) but shouldn’t RSI be shipping you guys the necessary 9/16 rubber blocks? And I guess I’m wondering if updated blocks will be shipping with my cap?
I would think so, and perhaps they are, but as RSI NA sends to dealers, I wouldn't want to just sit around waiting for them all to get in line. Especially with my cap enroute.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Zapro your some kind of trouble maker for sure, Ha! Could be they have shipped already, and not much chance of them having the piece in the box. You are talking about Jeepers who buy expensive Jeeps fully loaded then take all the expensive parts off ,sell them cheap and put on even more expensive stuff, then sell it the next year for the latest greatest, God Bless America!

One traveler , when I get ship confirm, I'll let you know, not too worried about the money my friend!

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I had Alucab canopy on my Taco and even through several winter trips to VT, NH & ME never had a freezing issue. I’m in NJ and we get some snow and a decent amount of sleet/icing/cold temps but still no issue.

I was actually surprised to hear this was an issue for others?

The Canopy was solid but I upgraded to their Canopy Camper. Digging that as well but this will be the first winter with it so can’t speak firsthand but latches seem nearly the same so I’m not worried.
This is great to hear! I have no first-hand experience with Alucab, RSI, or RLD, so I'm just reading the forums. I've always had a fiberglass topper made by ARE or a similar brand, and they have always had the twist handle. I've had the locks inside the twist handle freeze, and I've also had twist handle itself freeze in place (unlocked). I believe the folks who are having trouble with their RSI-style latches freezing, but maybe its not that common. Hard to know, but thanks for your reply!

Sponsored

WemoVealot

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Love this forum! Thanks to everyone here for providing info/suggestions. Based on recommendations, chose an enclosed cap (instead of a bed rack) for more space, security and protection.

So yes, I pulled the trigger on an RSi SmartCap this week. Wanted an EVOc w/ two full bins, but due to color ultimately chose the black EVO with one full bin on the driver side. Also got the table, again based on recommendations.

Planning to place a cargo rack and awning on the SmartCap (truck is mobile) and save the RTT for the trailer (stays at base camp).

Question: anyone see an issue with the cargo rack and/or awning extending a few inches over the hard top (i.e., longer than the SmartCap)?

Again thanks to all.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
This is a reply to m(a)ce:

I was just on another thread here on Jeep Gladiator Forum, and user name "steffen707" also mentioned some freezing issues with the Alu-Cab latches, but he didn't sound too worried about it. Here is his post:

"Nice video! I got the Alu-Cab, but its always nice to compare stuff. I agree the auto open is kind of an annoying feature. We paid good money for our tops, we want them to be flawless, don't worry, my Alu-Cab's handles/locks freeze up whenever there are dropping temps. Seem to be fine once its below 32 and stays below. I bet none of the tops are perfect. Glad to see an RSI on a jt now, looks good."

Its on page 3 of this thread if you are interested:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/installed-my-rsi-smartcap-evo-review.37035/

I carry a little bottle of lock de-icer (in the cab - not the bed!) and don't ever worry anymore. Have a good weekend!

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Check out this video of frozen AluCab latches:

These South African companies make great over landing stuff, but they need to up their cold-weather game. They don’t have enough experience - yet- dealing with winter, and Winter is Coming!

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Alu-Cab has rubber flipoff lock covers , said designed to prevent ice and dust issues with locks, I wonder if RSI and AluCab both use the same latch brand? Look under accesories on there website.
Sponsored