RSI Smartcap

duvinclunk

First Name
Davin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR
I have one on order. I'll be very interested to hear how they treat you.

Every product can have a defect. This is a premium product, I would expect premium support from them.
They have been very good to me so far. I had another lock that I bent by my fault. I pulled into my garage with the door open and the open lock hit the door frame. I asked to buy one and they just sent it to me. I don’t imagine I’d be met with with any issues.
Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have been very good to me so far. I had another lock that I bent by my fault. I pulled into my garage with the door open and the open lock hit the door frame. I asked to buy one and they just sent it to me. I don’t imagine I’d be met with with any issues.
Great to hear. Thank you.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
I am going to put this in the for sale etc. area as well but since I know at least 2/3 of you have the RSI cap, I want to put it here too. I have a completely new, unopened, driver-side full-bin. If anyone has a passenger side and is interested in a trade. I am in Oklahoma and I would drive a ways to meet you. I bought a Roof Nest Condor and it opens over the passenger side. So my driver side bin would be on the side of my shower. Totally not cool.

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 1642608266463

TheMirage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Has anyone received their SmartCap from @OffroadAlliance.com in the last couple months? Curios to know where they are in the backlog of orders I imagine they have?

Sponsored

OffroadAlliance.com

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Premiere Offroad Shop!
Thank you again for your help!
[/QUOTE]
Has anyone received their SmartCap from @OffroadAlliance.com in the last couple months? Curios to know where they are in the backlog of orders I imagine they have?
We ship them out as fast as we can get them in. We've even shipped some Gladiator caps out in the last 30 days. But yes, we still have open orders for them.

ColoradoKH

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
High altitude
Occupation
GM
Thank you again for your help!

We ship them out as fast as we can get them in. We've even shipped some Gladiator caps out in the last 30 days. But yes, we still have open orders for them.
[/QUOTE]
I’ve been waiting since early December was quoted in mid February delivery. Really hope it will happen getting impatient.

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
I am about to pull the trigger and order for my Mojave...but am confused a bit when looking at the details of the cap on the site. Some photo's show windows with a small slider on the side doors, I like this. Some show solid doors with no window. I see no options to choose either, how the heck do I know what I am getting?
I want to get a rack as well, and (as soon as I can afford it) a batwing to go on it, but it is also unclear if I need special brackets to mount a shade to the rack or not. What if I wanted to use a different brand rack, will it mount to the rails on the smartcap? Or use an RSI rack with some other batwing (Alu-cab looks slick honestly) for example?

If you were to do it over, would you buy all of those components at once?
How tough is it to install myself - I am roughly 400 miles from the nearest dealer (that I want to work with). The local shop has not been ideal previously with other products so I don't want to go back to them for a SmartCap.

Should all of this be directed at @offroadaliance.com or does anyone on here have experience with this that can provide insights?

OffroadAlliance.com

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Premiere Offroad Shop!
I’ve been waiting since early December was quoted in mid February delivery. Really hope it will happen getting impatient.
The entire automotive supply chain is definitely a challenge right now. While we can certainly appreciate yours or anyone's desire to receive products quickly, there are no shortages of delays and backlogs right now. Smartcap is building and importing these caps as quickly as possible. And we certainly help to get them shipped out as fast as we receive them in.

I am about to pull the trigger and order for my Mojave...but am confused a bit when looking at the details of the cap on the site. Some photo's show windows with a small slider on the side doors, I like this. Some show solid doors with no window. I see no options to choose either, how the heck do I know what I am getting?
I want to get a rack as well, and (as soon as I can afford it) a batwing to go on it, but it is also unclear if I need special brackets to mount a shade to the rack or not. What if I wanted to use a different brand rack, will it mount to the rails on the smartcap? Or use an RSI rack with some other batwing (Alu-cab looks slick honestly) for example?

How tough is it to install myself - I am roughly 400 miles from the nearest dealer (that I want to work with). The local shop has not been ideal previously with other products so I don't want to go back to them for a SmartCap.

Should all of this be directed at @offroadaliance.com or does anyone on here have experience with this that can provide insights?
The two main Smartcap models are the Evo Sport and the Evo Adventure. The Sport features large side panels which are predominatly glass that gullwing open and also feature a small integrated slider window on each side. The Adventure features solid side panels that gullwing open and feature interior mounted molle panels. Install is relatively straight forward with most folks installing these in a few hours with basic handtools. All of the accessories can be purchased with the cap or purchased/installed down the road.

We actually put together this guide to help answer a lot of questions that we receive.

Link ---->>>> SMARTCAP PURCHASING GUIDE AND FAQ

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

I have a SmartCap with the RSI Roof Rack. I assembled the cap, rolled it over, and then installed the rack. I used the rack as the attachment point to lift the cap. I used a engine hoist with a piece of unistrut to make a lift so I could install it alone.

Sponsored

Deleted member 28696

I had my Jeep in the shop installing some other mods and they noticed that my Jeep was about an inch too low in the back due to the weight of the RSI Smartcap that I had installed about a month ago. They said the issue would continue to get worse as the springs compress and weaken and eventually bottom out which would ruin the shocks and have other cascading consequences down the road. They showed me another Gladiator that they were working on and doing the same thing with that had a Rack System and they were more over weight than I am apparently.
They recommended that I install,

BDS 3" Ram 1500 Rear Spring Mod
SUMO SPRING SSR-407-47 1800lb Gladiator
the SUMO SPRING is a bump stop basically.

It's not a super expensive fix but it's not exactly cheap either. I figured I'd mention it on the forum since it's something most won't consider as a potential cost of adding a smart cap or another cap to their Gladiator since the gladiator isn't really designed to be a "truck" it's a Wrangler with a truck bed attached & the stock springs wont take the additional weight. Mine are actually JKS 3" springs they are replacing on the rear since I have a lift. It would eventually sag & bottom out as well.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I had my Jeep in the shop installing some other mods and they noticed that my Jeep was about an inch too low in the back due to the weight of the RSI Smartcap that I had installed about a month ago. They said the issue would continue to get worse as the springs compress and weaken and eventually bottom out which would ruin the shocks and have other cascading consequences down the road. They showed me another Gladiator that they were working on and doing the same thing with that had a Rack System and they were more over weight than I am apparently.
They recommended that I install,

BDS 3" Ram 1500 Rear Spring Mod
SUMO SPRING SSR-407-47 1800lb Gladiator
the SUMO SPRING is a bump stop basically.

It's not a super expensive fix but it's not exactly cheap either. I figured I'd mention it on the forum since it's something most won't consider as a potential cost of adding a smart cap or another cap to their Gladiator since the gladiator isn't really designed to be a "truck" it's a Wrangler with a truck bed attached & the stock springs wont take the additional weight. Mine are actually JKS 3" springs they are replacing on the rear since I have a lift. It would eventually sag & bottom out as well.

I'll just say that I'm not seeing the additional sag that they are describing. My cap has been on about a year. I have the roof rack and the table in the ceiling carrier. That adds about 250 pounds plus what I'm carrying around in the bed. I have an Overland, which is supposed to provide a softer ride with springs that are not as stiff.

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
The entire automotive supply chain is definitely a challenge right now. While we can certainly appreciate yours or anyone's desire to receive products quickly, there are no shortages of delays and backlogs right now. Smartcap is building and importing these caps as quickly as possible. And we certainly help to get them shipped out as fast as we receive them in.

The two main Smartcap models are the Evo Sport and the Evo Adventure. The Sport features large side panels which are predominatly glass that gullwing open and also feature a small integrated slider window on each side. The Adventure features solid side panels that gullwing open and feature interior mounted molle panels. Install is relatively straight forward with most folks installing these in a few hours with basic handtools. All of the accessories can be purchased with the cap or purchased/installed down the road.

We actually put together this guide to help answer a lot of questions that we receive.

Link ---->>>> SMARTCAP PURCHASING GUIDE AND FAQ
@OffroadAlliance.com Thanks this is helpful...I will go with an EVO Sport, I want the windows. Have to decide between the load bars and the rack, knowing I want a 270 as well. Looks like I will be calling to get final questions answered and order.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
since the gladiator isn't really designed to be a "truck" it's a Wrangler with a truck bed attached & the stock springs wont take the additional weight.
No this is not true, the gladiator is not a wrangler with the bed attached. The Gladiator is a real mid-sized truck (if you doubt this look at the bed load capacity and the tow ratings… all much higher than a Wrangler). This has been hashed out on here for… well since the beginning. The JT front suspension is like the wranglers but the rear of the JT is set up on the dodge 1/2 ton pickup truck platform. No, the JT is NOT a wrangler with a bed.

The issue you are having is caused by the lift manufacturers using a leveling approach to the gladiator. This should not be done IMOP because the gladiator is not a wrangler and has the rake due to heavier duty rear springs on the JT truck… because it is a truck meant to haul things.

So, taking those stock JT springs out meant for the load rating for the JT. Then adding a “leveling lift kit” (whether they say they are doing that or not, most aftermarket lift kits do). This approach leaves you with springs not rated for the trucks factory load rating in most cases.

I have the Max Tow, and never had an issue with loads and even towing up to 6500lbs with the stock suspension (and with 500lbs in the bed).

Now with the 3.5” Rubicon Express lift, it has literally become a negative rear lift from stock height and is about 1” below stock height (originally the RE lift had an incredibly smooth ride for the first 2 months and it was level… I told the shop that recommended the lift and they ordered it, that I specifically did not want a leveling lift kit. I wanted to maintain the JTs rear rake with HD springs for load the same as the stock springs. Well guess what? That nice ride initially after the lift was due to soft rated lift springs and leveling the truck. 🤬

So, you may ask, how can a lift of 3.5”go negative? Just as was mentioned previously, the rear springs on my JT started to sag and then the cheap shocks blew. Mine is only staying maybe an inch higher than stock because of the bump stop extensions that came with the lift. The ride is so bad and unstable that I have to get it fixed asap. I had to remove the RTT because the truck would hit a bump and suddenly start to ride like a donk… buh donky donk. The JT bounces do badly in the rear now that I have to slow down to get it to stop. This last trip without the RTT now has the thing back on the bump stops as the springs have sagged that much further. I am 600 miles from home base right now! 🤬

I made the mistake of driving away with the JT not set up for its truck purpose. So now I’ll replace the rear springs and get some better shocks on all 4 corners… maybe replace the whole 5 month old lift.

The pictures are with 250lbs in bed, a 180lb XXL James Baroud RTT on the rack, bed rack and a hard bed cover made from 3/4 marine plywood. No where near the stock bed capacity of 1600lbs. With 180 lbs high in the rack, the drive was scary.

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap CE9E0252-CA84-4230-8D6F-AD017737217A

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap 3376DE19-22F7-4E88-8F5C-29FFCFAC3EB4

Last edited:

Deleted member 28696

No this is not true, the gladiator is not a wrangler with the bed attached. The Gladiator is a real mid-sized truck (if you doubt this look at the bed load capacity and the tow ratings… all much higher than a Wrangler). This has been hashed out here for… well since the beginning. The JT front suspension is like the wranglers, the rear is set up on the dodge 1/2 ton pickup truck platform. No, the JT is NOT a wrangler with a bed.

The issue you are having is caused by lift manufacturers using a leveling approach to the gladiator. This should not be done IMOP because tha gladiator is not a wrangler and has the rake due to heavier duty rear springs on the JT truck… because it is a truck meant to haul things.

So, taking those stock JT springs out meant for the load rating for the JT. Then adding a “leveling lift kit” (whether they say the are doing that or not, most aftermarket lift kits do). Will leave you with springs not rated for the trucks factory load rating in most cases.
I have the Max Tow, and never had issue with loads and even towing up to 6500lbs (with 500lbs in the bed).

Now with the 3.5” Rubicon Express lift, it has literally become a negative rear lift from stock height, now 1” below stock(originally the RE lift had an incredibly smooth ride for the first 2 months and it was level… I told the shop that recommended the lift and ordered it, that I specifically did not want a leveling lift. I wanted to maintain the JTs rear rake with HD springs for load, as the stock springs had. Well guess what, that nice ride initially was due to soft rated lift springs.

So, you may ask, how can a lift of 3.5”go negative? Just as was mentioned previously, the rear springs on my JT started to sag and then the cheap shocks blew. Mine is only staying maybe an inch higher than stock because of the bump stop extensions that came with the lift. The ride is so bad and unstable that I have to get it fixed asap.

I made the mistake of driving away with the JT not set up for its truck purpose. So now I’ll replace the rear springs and better shocks on all 4 corners… maybe replace a 5 month old lift. The pictures are with 250lbs in bed, a 180lb XXL James Baroud RTT on the rack,, bed rack and a hard bed cover made from 3/4 marine plywood. No where near the stock bed capacity of 1600lbs.

Thanks for the explanation, I wouldn’t have thought a lift kit springs etc. would be inferior to stock. I figured the stock springs wouldn’t handle it either. I had installed the JKS venture 3-3.5 lift kit with fox performance shocks a few months back. It’s a fairly level kit from front to back when it was first installed. Today there was an inch difference on mine. So sounds like they may have caught it in time before the bad things you had mentioned occurred. It sounds like installing the Ram 1500 springs will return it to factory specs for the rear, matching to the new lift height, now I think I understand why they recommend it.
Sponsored