Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here are a few shots:

IMG_7268.jpeg

IMG_7282.jpeg
IMG_7281.jpeg
IMG_7279.jpeg
Yeah, that definitely saw some abuse. It looks like it was crushed, or had something stacked on that edge to deform it like that. That's not a simple drop.
Sponsored

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
Yeah, that definitely saw some abuse. It looks like it was crushed, or had something stacked on that edge to deform it like that. That's not a simple drop.
Other side:
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap IMG_7267
Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap IMG_7272

I'm sure it will get sorted out. Still, wanted to bolt it together today SOOO bad :)

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Other side:

I'm sure it will get sorted out. Still, wanted to bolt it together today SOOO bad :)
Believe me, I hear you on that. I got back from the gym, and hadn't even showered or had breakfast yet, and I still couldn't resist jumping right in to the install haha.

Hopefully, getting just a roof panel will be much quicker than the whole system.

What do you guys make of it, @RSI North America Inc?

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
I received my cap this morning. I wish I could say it was good news, as I was so excited to install this baby.

My roof panel is severely damaged and bent in multiple spots. One of them is pretty minor and could be straightened with a dead blow or taken up when the panels were bolted together. One of the others is severe enough it made a kink in the panel to the point the accessory tracks pulled away from the panel.

I've reached out to my dealer to see how to get a new panel sent out. Stuff gets damaged in shipping... it happens. Still sucks though.

The other panels are in mostly good shape. There is a couple small paint runs here and there and some moderate bends in the sheet metal where the panels will meet/bolt together. Some finish worn off on one of the side window latches (minor). I will say that all of the panel boxes (that were inside the large single box) had holes in them from the panels punching through. It didn't seem to correlate with any damage on the panels. But they should consider modifying the packaging.

The roof panel, shipping separately is always going to pose shipping risks. It's a big piece and will be susceptible to impacts and bending.
Oh I am so bummed about this. We are aware of the issues with some roof panels getting damaged and have already instituted changes in how they are packed at the factory. BUT, that doesn't solve your immediate issue of wanting to get this cap installed today!!! :( You have absolutely done the correct action in calling your dealer. They will work with our distributor to get you a new roof panel. If for any reason they are not moving quick enough, please reach out right away to [email protected] and speak with Darby. I am making him aware of this issue right now. With that said, our distributor has been great in making this stuff move pretty darn fast.

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! My dealer was quick to get the ball rolling once I contacted them and sent pictures. (Offroad Alliance, they have been really good the whole purchase process!). Submitted an online form on RSI website and send pictures to a warranty email as requested.

Bummed, but $hit happens.

Fingers crossed I can get a new top panel quickly.

Thanks again to RSI for replying here.

Sponsored

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just spoke with the folks at RSI and they offered some options to get this sorted out. Can’t thank Offroad Alliance or @RSI North America Inc enough for getting the ball rolling on this the same day the cap showed up.

Again, we all know crap can happen with truck freight. As much as I’d love to bolt this sucker up right now... I’ve been waiting since July. I can hold off while it gets sorted out :)

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Hey, I have one coming in, ordered in July and can chill a bit on it, if it is a supply thing, your welcome to my roof panel or whole cap, until they ship another!
Hear that RSI and Rick Weber?.......Jack

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
Ok, regarding your observation about the bottom d-rubber gasket “dragging” on the top of the tailgate and making it a bit harder to close, don’t cut the d-rubber! Rather, make sure that the same 10mm blocks that should have been installed between the bottom of the cap mounting flange and the top of the bedrail caps at the clamp positions (see the attached diagram) is also installed near the rear corners. This will lift the cap up a bit and prevent closing of the tailgate from tearing the gasket.

Also, once you’ve done that, make sure to liberally re-apply Super Glue to the ends of the d-rubber gasket, re-attach them to the cap, gently close the tailgate, and leave it closed for a bit.

As for your comments regarding the doors opening a bit too well :) outside of replacing the gas assist shocks with less powerful shocks, they are not going to lessen their opening power any time soon.

Finally, as for your concerns about smudging the glass when closing the gullwing doors, well, for that we would consider wearing cotton gloves.

Let me know if you have any more questions, or if you prefer, you can also email our Tech Heads at [email protected].

Hey guys,

I had a few questions about this, as I am unclear on what exactly should have been done during install.

Are you saying that in addition to the rubber pad between the clamps and the Smartcap there should have been a second rubber pad placed between the Smartcap and the top of the truck bed? If so, should this have been placed under the rubber sealing gasket that was placed along the bottom of the Smartcap?

Did the directions say to do this? I had a shop install mine and am not sure if this was done or not...but the rubber seal on the bottom of the rear window and at the top corners of the tailgate are very tight and I am a little worried they will get torn with repeated use.

Is there a solution for those of us who had our Smartcaps installed by a shop and do not have rubber pads to place under the back corners or anywhere else along the bed side? The shop did not give me any extra materials at all.

Thanks!

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, supply is extremely constrained right now. I could either opt to have it fixed at a body shop or wait on a new panel on the next shipment. I’m opting for a new panel at this time. Now, if the timeframe extends out to months... I’d reassess. These options seem more than fair. There is only so much you can do when there is no replament product to be had quickly.

@Jaxmax : Thank you VERY much for your offer. Logistically, I’m not sure how/if they could swing that. I’ll let @RSI North America Inc comment/respond. I’m OK with waiting a bit too. While I want it installed so we can do a shakedown trip prior to a bigger outing scheduled for December, I can wait.

JBahr

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Stingray Gray
Occupation
Sales
I wish there was a better way to know when my local shop would get my order. I ordered in October and they told me Early to Mid November. When we talked recently they had no update... Anyone have success getting more information? Denver, Colorado...

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I did a pre-order from Offroad Alliance on July 30th, and paid the balance on October 24th. I also ordered one of the tables on the 24th. Other than the order confirmation email, I have not heard anything from them.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
@TheHops, curious if you tried inserting the rubber pads under the back corners to alleviate some of the excessive tightness in the back tailgate and with the Smartcap rear glass door seal?

Mine has not loosened up at all, and I'm pretty sure if I go for too long with it so tight that I am having to yank both the glass door and the tailgate open and press on them hard to get them to close, the seals will get worn down and tear.

Interested to see if you tried this and if it helped at all.

Thanks!

sgumedic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Is there anyone on the east coast who has gotten their cap yet? I ordered mine 7/10/20 and the dealer doesn’t have info on when it’s arriving. I emailed Rick Weber but haven’t heard back.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@TheHops, curious if you tried inserting the rubber pads under the back corners to alleviate some of the excessive tightness in the back tailgate and with the Smartcap rear glass door seal?

Mine has not loosened up at all, and I'm pretty sure if I go for too long with it so tight that I am having to yank both the glass door and the tailgate open and press on them hard to get them to close, the seals will get worn down and tear.

Interested to see if you tried this and if it helped at all.

Thanks!
So, I tried what they recommended, and the relief on the seals was negligible. We're talking maybe a couple of mm of difference.

I think what I'm going to end up doing, is filling the inside of the d rubber with a bit of super glue, then wedging it on top of the tailgate so that it will hold in a flat position, if that makes sense. I was able to tug the d rubber flat in between the cap and the tailgate yesterday. I'll drop the tailgate tomorrow to see if the rubber has compressed to the point where it's not getting wrecked every time I close the tailgate. Hopefully. If not, I'll try a bit of glue inside of it before figuring something else out. It may be as simple as just moving that small part of the seal further back so the tailgate shuts against it.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
So, I tried what they recommended, and the relief on the seals was negligible. We're talking maybe a couple of mm of difference.

I think what I'm going to end up doing, is filling the inside of the d rubber with a bit of super glue, then wedging it on top of the tailgate so that it will hold in a flat position, if that makes sense. I was able to tug the d rubber flat in between the cap and the tailgate yesterday. I'll drop the tailgate tomorrow to see if the rubber has compressed to the point where it's not getting wrecked every time I close the tailgate. Hopefully. If not, I'll try a bit of glue inside of it before figuring something else out. It may be as simple as just moving that small part of the seal further back so the tailgate shuts against it.
Please hold off on doing anything right away. Mike Voss, the CEO of the company and guy who designed the products, is working on this now. I should have an answer for you today.
Sponsored