RSI Smartcap

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Tacoma, Tundra, F Series, Silverado...
I did a pre-order from Offroad Alliance on July 30th, and paid the balance on October 24th. I also ordered one of the tables on the 24th. Other than the order confirmation email, I have not heard anything from them.
Because our products are sold through distribution, we do not have information on the dealer orders that are being fulfilled. Please reach back out to Offroad Alliance as they can work with the distributor to get you an answer.
Sponsored

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Is there anyone on the east coast who has gotten their cap yet? I ordered mine 7/10/20 and the dealer doesn’t have info on when it’s arriving. I emailed Rick Weber but haven’t heard back.
Please forgive the redundancy as I just mentioned this to another customer directly above this post. All SmartCaps are sold in North America through distribution. Please contact the dealer you purchased from and have them contact their distributor to get you information on when you can expect to receive your SmartCap.

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
So, I tried what they recommended, and the relief on the seals was negligible. We're talking maybe a couple of mm of difference.

I think what I'm going to end up doing, is filling the inside of the d rubber with a bit of super glue, then wedging it on top of the tailgate so that it will hold in a flat position, if that makes sense. I was able to tug the d rubber flat in between the cap and the tailgate yesterday. I'll drop the tailgate tomorrow to see if the rubber has compressed to the point where it's not getting wrecked every time I close the tailgate. Hopefully. If not, I'll try a bit of glue inside of it before figuring something else out. It may be as simple as just moving that small part of the seal further back so the tailgate shuts against it.
Yeah I figured the rubber pads wouldn't do too much...there is already a space there at the back corners even without the pads.

I thought about just removing the rubber at the bottom of the back window and replacing it with a smaller gasket and moving the seals at the corners of the tailgate back as well like you mentioned, but I'll wait and see what RSI comes up with.

On mine, its not just the tailgate corners that is concerning, but the whole rear window that seems extremely tight. I have to really push hard to get everything closed back there, it definitely doesn't seem right after watching videos of the smartcap on other vehicles.

Hope this can be figured out, its such an awesome product and it sucks to have using the back tailgate and window be such an ordeal!

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I figured the rubber pads wouldn't do too much...there is already a space there at the back corners even without the pads.

I thought about just removing the rubber at the bottom of the back window and replacing it with a smaller gasket and moving the seals at the corners of the tailgate back as well like you mentioned, but I'll wait and see what RSI comes up with.

On mine, its not just the tailgate corners that is concerning, but the whole rear window that seems extremely tight. I have to really push hard to get everything closed back there, it definitely doesn't seem right after watching videos of the smartcap on other vehicles.

Hope this can be figured out, its such an awesome product and it sucks to have using the back tailgate and window be such an ordeal!
Our team is currently testing a couple of different solutions. We just need a day or two to make sure that what we recommend you do will be the best solution for this problem—while still maintaining the integrity of the gasket to keep the cap watertight. Please bear with us a moment so that we can properly test the solution.

Last edited:

PhantomChameleon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator Rubicon
As stated we are all over this. Our prototype fitment did not encounter the same issue that the production models obviously are. Our team is currently testing a couple of different solutions. We just need a day or two to make sure that what we recommend you do will be the best solution for this problem—while still maintaining the integrity of the gasket to keep the cap watertight. Please bear with us a moment so that we can properly test the solution.
Sounds good guys, thanks so much for being on top of it!

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
As stated we are all over this. Our prototype fitment did not encounter the same issue that the production models obviously are. Our team is currently testing a couple of different solutions. We just need a day or two to make sure that what we recommend you do will be the best solution for this problem—while still maintaining the integrity of the gasket to keep the cap watertight. Please bear with us a moment so that we can properly test the solution.
I'm not a buyer (yet), but you can't blame the jeep community for trying to modify something that isn't working 😂 . I'm getting a kick out of reading how everyone wants to try their own fixes even though the manufacturer is on the forum saying hold on.

SmartCap

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartcap.com
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good guys, thanks so much for being on top of it!
Thanks man! That's the hope. It's hard to be unbiased when I love this thing so much though haha.

Good to know. Yeah, I figured I'd give it a little bit before messing with it. I have some of the rubber leftover so I can always cut another small piece or two if my tailgate ruins the ones that are on there. I was thinking I may cut a small strip, and move it further in towards the bed so the tailgate just shuts on it, instead of tugging on it as I'm closing it, if that makes any sense. Either way, unless I'm holding a hose or a power washer in that specific spot, even without the seals, I expect water ingress would be minimal.
Thanks for your patience guys. We just got out of a meeting with our Tech Heads. The solution is likely a simple one that I will outline below, but we need to test it. Our Gladiator will not be available for testing until next week, so the final answer from us will not happen until then.

In the meantime… the issue is simple math. Since the D-gasket does not need to be heavily compressed to keep water out, it just needs to make contact with the bed cap, we simply need to elevate the back of the cap more. We will be testing progressively thicker rubber pads positioned on the sidewall near the tailgate to elevate it slightly more (see the attached diagram). This will reduce the drag, resulting in the door and tailgate opening and closing easier and protect the D-gasket from excessive wear and tear. If you find that you don’t want to wait for our schedule, the pads should be easily found at any local hardware store.

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding while we get this issue resolved.

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.21.42 AM.png

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not a buyer (yet), but you can't blame the jeep community for trying to modify something that isn't working 😂 . I'm getting a kick out of reading how everyone wants to try their own fixes even though the manufacturer is on the forum saying hold on.
To be fair, we're Jeep owners--modifying and solving problems is what we do, and many of us are pretty damn good at it haha. That's why a lot of manufacturers reach out for consumer input in the first place.

But yeah, I already have a couple of fixes rolling around in my head, but I'm not in a huge rush so I'll wait for the official word!

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your patience guys. We just got out of a meeting with our Tech Heads. The solution is likely a simple one that I will outline below, but we need to test it. Our Gladiator will not be available for testing until next week, so the final answer from us will not happen until then.

In the meantime… the issue is simple math. Since the D-gasket does not need to be heavily compressed to keep water out, it just needs to make contact with the bed cap, we simply need to elevate the back of the cap more. We will be testing progressively thicker rubber pads positioned on the sidewall near the tailgate to elevate it slightly more (see the attached diagram). This will reduce the drag, resulting in the door and tailgate opening and closing easier and protect the D-gasket from excessive wear and tear. If you find that you don’t want to wait for our schedule, the pads should be easily found at any local hardware store.

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding while we get this issue resolved.

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.21.42 AM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for working with us needy early adopters!

The window closing at the rear isn't overly tight for me. It's definitely snug, but not concerning to me personally. It definitely did loosen up a tiny bit by introducing the 10mm pads on the corners, but I also didn't torque the clamps as tight on the second iteration, so it could be a combination.

I dropped the tailgate today after having wedged the d rubber in between and leaving it closed for two days, and it has definitely flattened out a bit. The tailgate closes much easier now, and the d rubber gives way to the tailgate as it closes instead of trying to shovel it out of the way. Honestly, I think just putting that extra step in the instructions may be sufficient, or perhaps providing a cheap plastic shim or spacer as part of the kit to help "smush" the corners as the rubber settles. The tailgate isn't really tugging at the d rubber anymore, but unfortunately the damage to the leading edge of the rubber has already been done. The adhesive gave out, the rubber is deteriorating a bit and the superglue is ineffective now after multiple layers on both contact surfaces. With that being said, I still have probably 70% contact patch on the rubber, and I do not believe it will peel any further.

My retroactive solution is to cut those pieces, gently sand the caked on superglue from the lip of the cap, clean the area, and replace with a fresh piece of d rubber flush mounted to where the cut was made, then I'd ensure I wedge it between the cap and the tailgate for another day or two. That would fix my issue.

Having said that, I'll give it a week or so for official word. Honestly, the damage has already been done, so there's no rush at this point lol.

HeyYoSchmitty

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Green Jeep Gladiator
I ordered in Sept. If you guys from July are just getting them, I feel like late December is more realistic for me. At least I can just play it off as a Christmas present. :LOL:

Sponsored

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a recommended torque spec for clamping the top to the bed? Could help alleviate inconsistencies
There was not one in the instructions. I was actually surprised at that, because all other nuts/bolts (joining the various panels) had torque specs.

OVRLND_G8R

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Gator
Ill probably have more photos over the weekend, but here are a few from tonight!
Ill probably have more photos over the weekend, but here are a few from tonight!

Jeep Gladiator RSI Smartcap Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 11.21.42 AM
Any update to additional pictures?!? Been really wanting to see it on a gator gladiator!

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
There was not one in the instructions. I was actually surprised at that, because all other nuts/bolts (joining the various panels) had torque specs.
I just know from experience helping my buddies work on their rigs that if no spec is listed, they’re torquing it as much as their ego allows them... at least it seems that way. Way overkill lol
Sponsored