OP
OP
The Peripatetic Cajun

The Peripatetic Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Haven’t purchased, yet. But, I have been thinking about the SkyLux Bantam from Toro Off-road (I think). It’s a hard-shell flip-out tent that would fit over the JT bed without overhang while opening up to be the size of a soft tent. Also seems from site info and some reviews I managed to find that it has a better, aluminum floor. Price is less than most hard-shell tents, especially since it comes with annex, awning and insulation. Just haven’t convinced myself that an RTT is the way to go.

Anyone have any input on the company or the quality of the SkyLux? If so, please PM me.
Just looked into this RTT, with the price and shipping, added features at no extra cost, Annex would be a gift to have and it’s already ready for use and the hard top, I think this could be the one, if they have it in stock and the Pandemic Outbreak doesn’t halt delivery dates. Keep us updated about your decision, would like to know what you think. All the best!
Sponsored

ffdfrontman

First Name
Jereme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Off-Road Racing
Just looked into this RTT, with the price and shipping, added features at no extra cost, Annex would be a gift to have and it’s already ready for use and the hard top, I think this could be the one, if they have it in stock and the Pandemic Outbreak doesn’t halt delivery dates. Keep us updated about your decision, would like to know what you think. All the best!
I just pulled the trigger on one yesterday. I went with the 4person skylux as I have only removed the back half of my top once and I don’t think I’ll do it again, ever. So the length it will hang over is no problem to me. Though, I am gonna see/fab up some extended rails/crossbars to hang it off the back end and see how that looks/feels. I’m thinking it won’t look too weird once I finish a dual swing tire carrier/bumper setup.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I did not read every reply in this thread but I will post up on my experience with my tepui. It's the ruggedized version which I highly recommend. It's fairly easy to set up/take down, reliable, and comfortable. It sleeps my wife and I and our dog. I will not go back to sleeping on the ground.

KIMG0306.JPG

20200418_151304.jpg

JT “Charlie”

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I did not read every reply in this thread but I will post up on my experience with my tepui. It's the ruggedized version which I highly recommend. It's fairly easy to set up/take down, reliable, and comfortable. It sleeps my wife and I and our dog. I will not go back to sleeping on the ground.

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 20200418_151304

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 20200418_151304
Looks good! I have the autanna III. Love it and so do the kids! We frequently have been RT tenting in our driveway!

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I always loved my RTT...when I was younger and didn’t have to pee in the middle of the night. Worse yet, my wife has to pee in the middle of the night!

i got a truck bed tent that fits my JTR perfectly. With an AirBedz mattress and a 2” topper, we have an almost queen size bed in the truck bed that is very comfortable, easy to get in and out of and all in around $500.

Sponsored

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I use the bed to hold all of hour camping gear though. My favorite part of the RTT (besides being off the ground) is having the bed space available so I have a go anywhere portable camp set up without stuffing the cab with my junk.
I always loved my RTT...when I was younger and didn’t have to pee in the middle of the night. Worse yet, my wife has to pee in the middle of the night!

i got a truck bed tent that fits my JTR perfectly. With an AirBedz mattress and a 2” topper, we have an almost queen size bed in the truck bed that is very comfortable, easy to get in and out of and all in around $500.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I use the bed to hold all of hour camping gear though. My favorite part of the RTT (besides being off the ground) is having the bed space available so I have a go anywhere portable camp set up without stuffing the cab with my junk.
Yep, that is the downside and when I was younger would have been a show stopper. Now, one need is stronger than the other and it is just the wife, dog and me. Makes it easier.

Singlecab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ Rubicon Brute conversion
I’ll play.

Tepui Kukenam 3 person tent. Bought opening day of the company’s first brick and mortar. Few years back.

Fairly easy set up. About 105 lbs. up there. Include the custom rack and I’m at 180 ish.

Lots of way to accessorize. I’ve basically left it as I bought it. It’s worked well. An occasional bolt tightening ( ladder, interior frame, mounting points) if you spend a lot of time off-road in the bumps.

Like some others have expressed about weight, I’ve had to strengthen the rear suspension of the truck (it doesn’t have near gladiator payload) , to include heavy springs, better shocks, and a larger rear sway bar (just ordered! ) .

It’s been fun to use. And has a stargazer feature for the easy summer nights in the mountains.

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. E0219BC2-35A1-4DEB-89D1-2A1CF06D6CA7

Ran about $1500 or so. I believe the company has sold to Thule possibly? Anyways, great service and a decent site for spare parts.

Cheers

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm liking the ikamper skycamp thus far. Finally had a chance to zip on the annex room the other day. It makes for a lot more room and a pretty quick set up time

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 20200509_140122

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 20200509_144958

Sponsored

GlacierGladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Mercedes Sprinter
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@desertfox73 and @GlacierGladiator how do you like the IKamper? Does it really fit a family of 4?
Well it works for my family of 4...
2 adults in the RTT & 2 large breed (120lbs+) dogs in the annex :like:
I would think you could cram 2 adults + 2 kids in the RTT but it would be quite cozy. If you have a king size bed at home its around the same size. Sleep the whole family on that for a night and that will give you a good indication. Hope that helps!

msfitone

First Name
Tonya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE edition
Occupation
Adventure Seeker
Haven’t purchased, yet. But, I have been thinking about the SkyLux Bantam from Toro Off-road (I think). It’s a hard-shell flip-out tent that would fit over the JT bed without overhang while opening up to be the size of a soft tent. Also seems from site info and some reviews I managed to find that it has a better, aluminum floor. Price is less than most hard-shell tents, especially since it comes with annex, awning and insulation. Just haven’t convinced myself that an RTT is the way to go.

Anyone have any input on the company or the quality of the SkyLux? If so, please PM me.
I ordered one and waiting since COVID 19 . I have yet to order or find my "perfect" JT although I do have my JK & Tundra to try out the RTT. I will let you know !

TJWilly

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
So the RTTs are mostly made at the exact same factory in China. Where they vary is the quality of materials used. I ran one on my offroad trailer. It was from Camping Lab. I think they may be out of business now? Same as the rest though... but higher quality canvas. But I will buy another for my JTR. I love the fast setup. Long night on the continental divide had me just flipping the thing over and climbing in sometimes on the side of the trail. Awning and netting can be setup quickly as well if you want. putting it away wet is a pain sometimes. But with proper care it won't hurt anything. I would keep the cover half zipped if the dust was low to help dry it out. Add a foam egg crate and a family size sleeping bag for max comfort. I camped at 13k elevation and it got down to 22 degrees according to my watch. It was chilly but with my bag and a throw blanket I was toasty.

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

What rack do you have that on?
Sponsored