Sponsored

RTT owners, are you satisfied with..

mfran12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Is a cross bar system. I went this route with the twist knobs because I wanted quick access to the bed for tall items, loads of mulch/dirt, bikes, etc.

KB Voodoo

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 20200507_122020

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 20200507_122020
Thanks. I like the cross bars come off so easy and it still works with a cover.

Pat2Alaska

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Hydro-Blue Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Jedi
I saw that ACE Upper Decker makes a bracket for RTT’s in their website, I might be getting one, (6 weeks for wait period though) do you have any pics.links to your setup? Thought I might be able to get a comparison shot, since I’ll most likely have to forego my Tri-Fold Tonneau cover in lieu of the Ace UD.
No tent but this is the Upper Decker with Tent Brackets.

RLCoverWhole.jpg

RLCoverClose.jpg

OneBadHombre

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave being built...
Occupation
Medical Devices
I always loved my RTT...when I was younger and didn’t have to pee in the middle of the night. Worse yet, my wife has to pee in the middle of the night!

i got a truck bed tent that fits my JTR perfectly. With an AirBedz mattress and a 2” topper, we have an almost queen size bed in the truck bed that is very comfortable, easy to get in and out of and all in around $500.
Was looking at using this same set-up. Any good ideas on what to do with all of your stuff while you have the tent set-up?

Sponsored

darkhorse13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Data Analyst
If you're looking for a hard shell RTT, the Alu-Cab Gen 3 is hands down the best on the market. All aluminum construction and integrated USB and 12V ports (and lights) inside tent. My wife and I pack up camp and head to new spots a lot on a trip and this is by far the fastest to deploy and break down. We've been using it for 2.5+ years with zero complaints.
Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 1593660010304

Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 1593660044897

jncomatrix

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 GLADIATOR LE Black, 1996 XJ 4.0 5.5" long arm, 2003 Matrix XRS,
Occupation
Commercial Vehicle Director
Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. FB_IMG_1591488497514

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
I saw that ACE Upper Decker makes a bracket for RTT’s in their website, I might be getting one, (6 weeks for wait period though) do you have any pics.links to your setup? Thought I might be able to get a comparison shot, since I’ll most likely have to forego my Tri-Fold Tonneau cover in lieu of the Ace UD.
I have an ACE Upper Decker. I didn't like their RTT bars though - I wanted something that provided more flexibility.

So I got Custom Camping Concept Towers and Bars, and have a guy (tomorrow, actually) mating those to the Upper Decker with easy to remove bolts. I'll have pics soon, but I will still need to paint it.

Then I can use that for a tent, or an awning, or another cargo area,or even a kayak.

PLEG1972

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeel Gladiator
Occupation
Maintenance Supervisor
I'm new to the overlanding thing. We started out with a ground tent and after justifying it got an AWESOME deal and moved to a popup trailer 20 yrs ago. This year I got my gladiator and wanted to try overlanding. After looking at all the reviews, I didnt want to spend $2k, $4k+ on a tent and never use it. I got a Smittybilt tent and annex for $1200 new on ebay. My girls are grown and out of the house and my son has no interest in "outside" so its just me my wife and my dog. The tent feels MASSIVE. I have no complaints. At first we used the annex as a shower/shitter/dressing room. Now we have a popup from Amazon for the shower shitter Set up. Getting a big dog in the tent is a BITCH tho. I quickly figured out if I open a side window on the tent and take the freedom panels off my dog can get in the tent from the front seats with a little help.
Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 20200621_060655
Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 20200621_060728
Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. 20200628_151347

Sponsored

LTCSlacker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (Billet Silver)
Occupation
Military Officer
So I have finally gotten my rack parts painted, and my Roof Top Tent arrived, and it's all now put together.

In sum, I have:
1) Ace Engineering Upper Decker
2) Custom Camping Concepts Towers and Bars
3) Welded plates on the Towers that bolt to the Upper Decker
4) Front Runner Rooftop Tent and Annex

It all works great. My only issue overall is that the Upper Decker will no longer stay up all on its own, due to the total weight. I can open it, but I'll need to get something to hold it open if I need it that way temporarily.

All in all, though, I am very happy with the set-up. Driving at speed shows little noise, even with my Bestop sunrider open. Pleny of space in the bed (under the Upper Decker) and on top of the Decker (under the tent). Pleny of visibility out of the back window.

Now just to get out camping!

Jeep Tent (Packed 1).jpg

Jeep Tent (Packed 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 1).jpg

Jeep Tent Annex 2).jpg

Jeep Tent Opened.jpg

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Check out the Upper Decker thread. I just got rid of mine, but there are pictures of my build and others on that thread with tents mounted.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I'm new to the overlanding thing. We started out with a ground tent and after justifying it got an AWESOME deal and moved to a popup trailer 20 yrs ago. This year I got my gladiator and wanted to try overlanding. After looking at all the reviews, I didnt want to spend $2k, $4k+ on a tent and never use it. I got a Smittybilt tent and annex for $1200 new on ebay. My girls are grown and out of the house and my son has no interest in "outside" so its just me my wife and my dog. The tent feels MASSIVE. I have no complaints. At first we used the annex as a shower/shitter/dressing room. Now we have a popup from Amazon for the shower shitter Set up. Getting a big dog in the tent is a BITCH tho. I quickly figured out if I open a side window on the tent and take the freedom panels off my dog can get in the tent from the front seats with a little help.
Jeep Gladiator RTT owners, are you satisfied with.. Jeep Tent Opened
That is a handy technique for getting the dog in. I have the SmittyBilt too and was wondering how I was going to get the dog in or whether he was going to just sleep in the Jeep.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
Was looking at using this same set-up. Any good ideas on what to do with all of your stuff while you have the tent set-up?
Since my dog always comes along and rides in the backseat, we put the valuable things in the backseat when the tent is set up. For everything else, we bought an annex for the bed tent. It is not huge, but big enough to keep things dry and still allow us to go in and out of the tent. I’ve also found that once we set up camp, most things came out of the bed anyway, plus most of the bulky things are designed to make us feel more comfortable when sleeping, like mattress pad, pillows, comforter, fan, etc.
Sponsored