Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Hello,

I have a build plan, however, we are waiting to go full steam ahead….

For the time being- I have to change the rear factory shocks. I cannot stand the constant pogo bouncing anymore. They are fine around town at slow speed. However at highway speed every bump the rear end bounces- literally like a pogo. This started at about 6k miles, and also soon after we added a canopy and the decked system. Total added bed weight is probably 3-400lbs. The rear did not sag much at all. However the pogoing is driving me nuts! It is especially bad when traveling at 70mph+ and there is a bump in a slight turn….

Long term- we will be moving? Removing? The urea tank and going to a 4-link, and putting on good shocks- likely Bilstein 8100- external bypass.

For the next year or so we need a bandaid. What shocks would you recommend? And has anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
Yes the Rubicon suspension is soft on purpose but it drove me insane! It’s like riding around in a 70s Cadillac. I fixed it today by installing AEV’s 2.5” RT suspension lift. 😂

OP
OP
Escape.idiocracy

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I was thinking about Monroe or some Rancho 9000’s.
I’ll hang out for the comments and other recommendations, maybe there will be something new/interesting to try.

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
My BAD that is all junk info, they are for the front. That's what i get not drinking coffee first,

but it might help with end types.

Rancho has rears

OP
OP
Escape.idiocracy

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
Bil 5100s are pretty cheap. Fixed that bounce for me.
Ok, interesting. I have ran them on jeeps in the past and liked them. However those were lighter weight jeeps.
Approx. how much weight are you running in/on the bed every day? (Just trying to get a feel- in the past they weren’t soft by any means, but they also weren’t the stiffest out there either!)

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
If you're just trying to cure the wallowing feel of the Rubicon Fox shocks, then go with either the Rancho 9000 or the Bilstein.

They are both inexpensive, will last for awhile, and should make the driving experience a little more pleasant.

Personally, I think MOPAR missed with their spec shocks from Fox.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Yes Bilstien is the first choice might be little more then the other two above but a solid product.

Rough country has all sorts of flavors too.

Sponsored

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps
I run empty most of the time. However, I bought them due to the bouncing while towing and loaded for camping. That's where they shine IMO. Trailer is 1900#, 1300# UTV and 2 dirt bikes, so that's 500ish on the hitch? Plus gear in the bed, wife and 2 kids in the cab. I think you will be happy with them. Not sure what they run now but I got mine 6 months or so ago for $80 a pop.

OP
OP
Escape.idiocracy

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
If you're just trying to cure the wallowing feel of the Rubicon Fox shocks, then go with either the Rancho 9000 or the Bilstein.

They are both inexpensive, will last for awhile, and should make the driving experience a little more pleasant.

Personally, I think MOPAR missed with their spec shocks from Fox.
Totally agree. They are fine when completing stock and nothing in or on the truck but the driver….. but as soon as any weight is added to the bed (and in my opinion not much weight…) it goes to garbage.
The 5 link setup is also pretty crappy too- can’t wait to go 4 link.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Air Lift 1000 air bags will also firm up the bounce a lot. They are great to have for those heavy loads and super inexpensive and easy to install.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Air Lift 1000 air bags will also firm up the bounce a lot. They are great to have for those heavy loads and super inexpensive and easy to install.
I've had time to drive mine with the air bags for a few days now.......... observation:
Over bumps, the rear end rebounds more - higher - than before. It's like it added more "up" to the springs.
I'm not planning on putting the Rubicon take-off Fox shocks I have - not at this time.
They made the rear end bounce more when I had the max tow springs under the rear.

The Rubicon springs and fox shocks up front were a good match. The Fox shocks on the back weren't a good match for max tow springs under the rear, though.

But I'm not impressed with the air bags under the rear with my stock Overland rear shocks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Escape.idiocracy

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
I've had time to drive mine with the air bags for a few days now.......... observation:
Over bumps, the rear end rebounds more - higher - than before. It's like it added more "up" to the springs.
I'm not planning on putting the Rubicon take-off Fox shocks I have - not at this time.
They made the rear end bounce more when I had the max tow springs under the rear.

The Rubicon springs and fox shocks up front were a good match, though. The Fox shocks on the back weren't a good match for max tow springs under the rear, though.

But I'm not impressed with the air bags under the rear with my stock Overland rear shocks.
The spring “unloading” is what drives me craziest…. It has been an exceptionally nice summer here in the PNW. However, before the rain and snow set it, I have to have this resolved… I would argue the way the springs unload currently (lack of rebound control) this could easily make for a “driving too fast for conditions” spin out…. Which is a shame because it feels great and planted- right up to when it is totally not! (As contradictory as that sounds…)
Sponsored