Sponsored

Rubicon vs Mojave - Accurate video?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not speaking for anyone else, but I have a Mojave on order. Expensive over time to keep it factory-capable. But sure does ride good...

One shock:
https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-shock-absorber-68465832af?c=az0x
Quality shocks will last nearly forever. The shocks on my current 140,000 mile Volvo still damp body motions properly.

Also, I'm 99% sure the Foxes are rebuildable.

And if you are considering maintenance costs. Lets not forget that the Rubicon has the disconnecting sway bar. That also adds complexity.

Seriously though. It really comes down to which set of differences matters most to you.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Its all personal preference but for me, it was several things.
1. Tows 1,000 more lbs
2. The strengthened frame is never explained so it’s a guess on what it means.
3. The stronger knuckles are a non factor to me.
4. The OEM Mojave wheels are my least favorite out of all the trims.
5. The on road experience wasn’t all that different to me on the several test drives that I did.
6. The front locker and sway bar were worth more to me than the nicer shocks.

The things I did like better in the Mojave:
1. Higher 4L ratio
2. Shocks
3. Orange accents

It does seem like I’m in a minority on this forum. The Mojave seems to be the favorite on here as the latest and greatest. I would test drive them both if you’re able.
You'd have to use that truck as what it was built for in order for the frame or steering knuckles to make a lick of difference. That means beating the crap out of it at high speed on sand dunes.
How many bust Jeep frames or snap or bend steering knuckles on a Jeep? Honestly.
(You should see what the Jeep people do with their Jeeps in Israel where a good road doesn't exist and it's all sand and rocks and jagged hills. Spare parts are not readily available over there for much of anything)

Like your honesty - personal preference, even down to the orange accents.

So far, mine hasn't failed at anything I've asked it to do. The MPG exceeds expectations, even when TOWING, it's hauled (by mistake, honestly) far more than it should have, it's a great drive and rides nice across the country, even on roads that suck (and I can always change that pretty easily at any point if I decided it could do better - or NEEDS to do better)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And if you are considering maintenance costs. Lets not forget that the Rubicon has the disconnecting sway bar. That also adds complexity.

Seriously though. It really comes down to which set of differences matters most to you.
More complexity is more to go wrong (lockers getting goofy on quite a few owners - sensor issues in the diff), the more there is, the more it costs, and the more it takes to maintain.

And your last line - great summary. (as long as one is honest about the REAL differences and not PERCEIVED differences)

19Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built JKUR to an F150 FX4, to my 2022 Mojave!
Thoughts?

I used to be REALLY into jeeping. Then got an F150 for the last 4 years to pull my dirt bike trailer. My f-150 has an aftermarket suspension and fox shocks, and is SMOOTH on rough roads.

I highly suggest you go test drive both. I found a really good buy on a LOADED used Rubicon with 10,000 miles. I was determined to go buy it, but before I did I found a Mojave to drive. Took it on some rough back roads and hit some rough railroad tracks at 45 mph. I thought it felt GREAT, but I hadn't driven a rubi for a few days, so I went back to the dealer and asked if I could drive a used rubi on the same road and tracks. Man, I could really tell a difference on the same rough road, and when I hit the exact same rough tracks at exactly 45 mph, it bottomed out the suspension, sounded horrible, and kicked the rear end sideways. It hit so hard I felt bad! I was 99% at that point, but was afraid I was convincing myself. Went back, and they let me test drive another Mojave. Back to the rough road and tracks.... hit it at 45mph and smiled and was 100% at that point.

I ordered a 2022 Mojave. (obviously still waiting)

I am not going to be hard core off roading a new truck. After she gets some miles on her, I can add a sway bar disconnect and aftermarket front locker. I actually prefer the higher range TC. My JKUR was on 37's with stock 4.10 gears, and always thoght the 4:1 was too low.

Both jeeps are amazing! Test drive both and you will know which one is for you.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other thing for me.

Part of me wanted to get a sport S but there were several "high end" features that my wife wanted. She liked the leather interior in the Rubicon/Mojave/Overland.

The Rubicon included off road features I'd never need.
The Overland met my needs but I didn't like the way it looks with the 18" wheels. I also didn't think it rode as well as the Mojave. Although that wasn't the main factor.

When I figured in a WANT to replace the wheels and tires on the Overland with the cost difference when optioned similarly, the Mojave won out for me.

But realistically, I'd be happy with any of them. The fact that you can get most of the important options (IMHO) on any model is a good thing.

The options that were non-negotiable for me were SelecTrac, safety, advanced safety, and cold weather.

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I like the Mohave but I always wanted a Rubicon. For me it boiled down to, are you leaving it stock or modifying the crap out of it. I bought a Rubicon and lifted it and put on 38’s with new wheels (all the stock wheels are ugly AF regardless of the trim) almost immediately, I would’ve done the same with the Mohave so the shocks it’s comes with would be useless. I bought the adjustable 2.5 Fox shocks for my lift along with the adjustable bump stops I’m basically riding on the Mohave suspension now but in a Rubicon with the lockers and sway bar disconnect. Both are great just wish they would fix my engine issue. Good luck!

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the Rubicon have better and/or more skid plates?

If you go to the Jeep webpage, it makes a point of talking about skid plates on the Rubicon. But doesn't mention it for the Mojave.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon vs Mojave - Accurate video? 1635111569214

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
🍿

Does the Rubicon have better and/or more skid plates?

If you go to the Jeep webpage, it makes a point of talking about skid plates on the Rubicon. But doesn't mention it for the Mojave.

Jeep Gladiator Rubicon vs Mojave - Accurate video? 1635111569214
All Gladiators have the same skid plates.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You must make a list of your REQUIREMENTS (not what you want, start with why you even need a pickup to begin with), and list how either of them, or even a different truck, meets your NEEDS.
Then go after wants - which will do what you WANT it to do. Where do you live, how do you drive, what are your roads or weather like.
If you wont someone to tell you which is the better value, ask someone who doesn't own one and has no horse in the race.
I say what I have is the better value - based on my use of a small truck, my needs, and finally my wants.
I don't need or even want either of the other - so they can't be a better value than what I have, and god only knows what prices will be like in 3 or 5 years (and anyone who buys based even in large part on "resale value" later isn't a wise buyer of vehicles, IMO)

There, that'll piss off the armchair economists and a few others.
I'm very honest with myself. I think that is something we develop as we age.

All of my needs would have been met if we slid my wife's XC70 Volvo wagon over to me and my wife went and bought a new car.

My needs centered around moderate winter off road capabilities, which my wife's car is surprisingly good at doing when its fitted with its winter 235/70-17 snow tires.

The other need is towing. Her car tows 4000 lbs like its not there.

The final need is cargo space. Her car meets my needs. Especially with a hitch mounted cargo carrier and a Sterilite storage bin that fits perfectly in the carrier and gives me a huge cargo bump.

A Gladiator of any kind centered around WANTS. We wanted a fun family vehicle that we could use to play in the snow in and to drive around with the top and doors off in the summer.

My wife liked the way the Mojave hood looked. So as ridiculous as that sounds, that was a minor factor in the Mojave's favor.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Huh? Gladiators have the same skid plates as what?
Corrected my post to say "all Gladiators have the same skid plates."

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corrected my post to say "all Gladiators have the same skid plates."
I didn't know that. I figured the Rubicon had something extra.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
I live in the desert southwest, yet chose the Rubicon based on my needs. It all depends on what you intend to do with it. Dive deep into features and take what you hear with a grain of salt.

This place is full of advice from people about how bad these things handle on the road. Uncomfortable ride and lose steering, yada, yada. I haven’t found any of it to be true and I drive a Rubi with a Mopar two inch lift and 35” Geolanders. If I had believed everything I’d heard without verifying for myself whether or not they were true, I probably wouldn’t be driving one today.

Only you can decide. I did extensive test drives before buying. Asked a lot of questions and did a lot of research before taking the plunge. Thank god I did because I’ve never in my life had a truck I like so much as this one.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Jeep made the decision easy for me, no diesel option on the Mojave.

I’ll open up another can of worms by saying that it is less complex to get Mojave like suspension in a rubicon than it is to add disconnecting sway bars, a front locker and the cool factor into a Mojave.
Sponsored