Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
Such a decision might be as personnal as why someone would find attraction in a blonde, brunette, or red over the other. As for me, I chose the Mojave. I preferred the ride and its factory warrantied modifications down to the oil in the shocks. There are some sand dunes in central Nebraska that I plan to enjoy at least once. Until then, Iā€™ve found the springs and dampeners designed for go fast off road adversity more than competent for the occasional Omaha pothole, speed bumps and parking lot approaches which would otherwise choose to chatter my ribs or spill my coffee. As well, I can certainly see this as a very capable wheeler to get me in and out of any hunt or fish hollow. As for the Mojave particulars, you may want to give this a clickā€¦
Sponsored

Pedal Metal

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 1975 Camaro, 1973 Beetle
Occupation
Analyst
Jeep made the decision easy for me, no diesel option on the Mojave.

Iā€™ll open up another can of worms by saying that it is less complex to get Mojave like suspension in a rubicon than it is to add disconnecting sway bars, a front locker and the cool factor into a Mojave.
The diesel looks great on paper, but considering the increased cost of purchase, scheduled maintenance and the possible lack of choice finding someone to diagnose future issues outside of the dealership, I found the 3.6 and itā€™s just enough hustle to be the safer play for my dollar votes. Iā€™m old enough to remember so many instance of people pulling diesels out of 80ā€™s cars and replacing them with gasoline engines to be somewhat cautious to want to see a proven solution thatā€™s friendly with my wallet outside of warranty. In truth, Iā€˜m interested in the prospect of a future diesel, but Iā€™d like to see that Jeep has really made this one the right one before I own it. However, as for getting closer to an apples to apples comparison, Iā€™d be curious to know how much less complex you think it would be to beef up the Rubiconā€™s frame to match the Mojaveā€™s if you're really trying to make it fair? It seems like the life of a frame is a big part of the life of a rig.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I like the Mohave but I always wanted a Rubicon. For me it boiled down to, are you leaving it stock or modifying the crap out of it. I bought a Rubicon and lifted it and put on 38ā€™s with new wheels (all the stock wheels are ugly AF regardless of the trim) almost immediately, I wouldā€™ve done the same with the Mohave so the shocks itā€™s comes with would be useless. I bought the adjustable 2.5 Fox shocks for my lift along with the adjustable bump stops Iā€™m basically riding on the Mohave suspension now but in a Rubicon with the lockers and sway bar disconnect. Both are great just wish they would fix my engine issue. Good luck!
This. Are you leaving it stock or are you going to heavily modify it? Once you lift it more than about 2 inches (or don't want to use spacers) and want more travel the expensive shocks are getting sold for some adjustable foxes that will give you similar performance. I feel like the Mojave is the perfect lease trim. Add some spacers, and shock extensions and your set til you turn it back in.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
The diesel looks great on paper, but considering the increased cost of purchase, scheduled maintenance and the possible lack of choice finding someone to diagnose future issues outside of the dealership, I found the 3.6 and itā€™s just enough hustle to be the safer play for my dollar votes. Iā€™m old enough to remember so many instance of people pulling diesels out of 80ā€™s cars and replacing them with gasoline engines to be somewhat cautious to want to see a proven solution thatā€™s friendly with my wallet outside of warranty. In truth, Iā€˜m interested in the prospect of a future diesel, but Iā€™d like to see that Jeep has really made this one the right one before I own it. However, as for getting closer to an apples to apples comparison, Iā€™d be curious to know how much less complex you think it would be to beef up the Rubiconā€™s frame to match the Mojaveā€™s if you're really trying to make it fair? It seems like the life of a frame is a big part of the life of a rig.
From what I understand, diesel models receive the same reinforcements to the frame as the Mojave, including cast knuckles - but I may be mistaken there - and if I am not the diesel components are heavier and warrant it so it may or may not be a wash anyways. Iā€™m not one to wheel to extremes, I donā€™t understand the folks taking their $50,000+ Mojaveā€™s and purposely catching air with them. However, a coil over kit with reinforced axles in a JT should be sufficient in theory for someone wanting to run bigger tires, scale rocks, run the dunes and then hit the baja 1000 on the weekend. The rubicon seems to be the better canvas in my opinion, especially because at least for the time being, there isnā€™t much aftermarket suspension for the Mojave.

Regardless however, if you go that hard, stuff will break no matter the starting point.

The prospect of the diesel long term un-reliability I hope is somewhat of a myth as modern engines tend to need less maintenance and last longer - some have reported derating when towing heavyish loads up steep climbs, but the derating is the ecms not allowing you to blow the engine and trans to bits as you are exceeding their cooling limitations it seems like. That is just an educated guess from my readings however. Time will tell if I learn to say ā€œka-boomā€ in Italian.

UnforseenWeather

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Mojave
Occupation
Creative Guy
I have wanted a Rubicon Wrangler since they were a thing. Test drove a few Wranglers and then Gladiators, did a TON of research, and test drove the Mojave and it all clicked. It was perfect for my use.

Itā€™s not an either/or thing to me ā€¦ both are great. I just found the Mojave to have the things I wanted out of the gate. I live off a dirt road and canā€™t escape it for the time being, and the washboard - at a minimum - every day will test any vehicle over time. I will eventually probably lift it slightly and at least put some 35s and a steel bumper and winch on it. Living with it, itā€™s amazing how refined yet unrefined it can be. Call it a Jeep Paradox. ;) ... Iā€™m loving this thing more and more every time I drive it, as if thatā€™s possible. Iā€™m constantly amazed by the barrage of waves I get. This isnā€™t even my first Jeep, but itā€™s the first one that gets waves!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Can you elaborate?
The Mojaves shocks are quite a bit more money than the Rubiconā€™s at replacement time. I donā€™t have actual numbers, just what I read here.
I am pretty sure someone knows here and could elaborate.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I don't need or even want either of the other - so they can't be a better value than what I have, and god only knows what prices will be like in 3 or 5 years (and anyone who buys based even in large part on "resale value" later isn't a wise buyer of vehicles, IMO)

There, that'll piss off the armchair economists and a few others.
Exactly.
Unless you buy some rare Unicorn, vehicles are a depreciating asset.
Although the current situation defies that logic, but that wonā€™t last.
What I find interesting with the JT is the variety of models for different owners needs. Stripped down, city user style, hardcore rock slider, or open road dune ripping. As has been stated itā€™s like lego, you can shape it any way you want for your needs.
Assess your needs, watch out for your wants $$$ and go from there.

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Such a decision might be as personnal as why someone would find attraction in a blonde, brunette, or red over the other. As for me, I chose the Mojave. I preferred the ride and its factory warrantied modifications down to the oil in the shocks. There are some sand dunes in central Nebraska that I plan to enjoy at least once. Until then, Iā€™ve found the springs and dampeners designed for go fast off road adversity more than competent for the occasional Omaha pothole, speed bumps and parking lot approaches which would otherwise choose to chatter my ribs or spill my coffee. As well, I can certainly see this as a very capable wheeler to get me in and out of any hunt or fish hollow. As for the Mojave particulars, you may want to give this a clickā€¦
I prefer my girls with orange hair.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
IMHO 2 challenges that favor the Rubicon. Only one in the bag for the Mojave. In the first challenge the correction to the high center was the same for both. Overall I think the video is biased towards the Rubicon.

buy what suits your needs and be happy itā€™s available and most of all have fun dammit!

DREDnot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2012 Chevy Caprice PPV, 1998 M1123
Occupation
Centurion, Earth Occupation Forces
I prefer the Mojave ride on and off road.
My past LJ Rubicon left me unhappy with the 4:1 low for the kind of trail running I do.
The standard ratio T-case with the 4.11 gears is just perfect in my estimation.

View attachment 193398

DSCN4479.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

trailless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
For me it was an easy decision. I wanted a diesel so I got the Rubicon. However, even if that wasn't the case I would have still gone for the Rubicon. Reason being, I'm going to replace the suspension and go to 37s. For me, the suspension is really all that the Mojave has better than the Rubicon. I'm not going to go offroading at high speeds so I'm not really worried about the frame or the knuckles. I had a JK on heavy 37s and beadlocks and didn't have an issue so I'd imagine the JT would also be a nonissue.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
Trying to decide between the two. Identical pricing. I don't see us doing much in the way of rock crawling. So leaning toward Mojave.
Actually, you answered your own question...

Both are great vehicles and can do it all,

Rubi is optomised for rock-crawling.

Mo' is optomized for faster driving over rough roads.

If you ain't going to do much rock-climbing the decision is clear.

I came into this assuming a Rubi, but when I learned about the Mo' I realized it is just a way better fit for me.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
On the value Q, I agree with previous poster, value is subjective...They both cost about the same, buy for your specific application, not because you think one will hold value more then the other, they should both do well in that regard.

JAVIERGONZO

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Navy
My Gladiator wasn't a need, it was a want. So I wanted a Rubicon. There's no desert here on the east coast. I camp and do more crawling than go fast.

But as everyone has mentioned, value in a product can only come from your eyes and mind. And no one else's opinion matters. People ask this question like others will be helping them make payments and stuff. It gets a little much.
Sponsored