Sponsored

Rubicon vs Sport S Fenders (35's Fit?)

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Only comment I will add is you cannot get factory Trac -Loc with the Max Tow
Really? Dealer build system may be different than the build your own on the website but the website showed track-loc as part of the my build
Sponsored

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
One other thing folks are missing in the equation: Resale Value. I know some feel a Sport holds its value more than a Rubi but when it comes time to sell the Rubi will take less time to move and bring a higher ROI, especially if left stock vs. building up a Sport.
I’ve noticed this too. As others have pointed out, I only get to go wheeling a few times a year so not sure lockers are that important for my daily driver but they sure would be nice when I do get to get off the beaten path. As far as resale, I’m sure a rubicon would sell quicker than a sport and more options make for easier resale but higher initial cost. When one is on a budget, it’s a tough call.

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Really? Dealer build system may be different than the build your own on the website but the website showed track-loc as part of the my build
The order guide confirms this: "ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE" is listed as "N/A W/AJQ", and AJQ is the code for the max tow group.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yeah in another thread we talked about why and my theory is that since the Sport Max Towing model is the ONLY other model besides Rubicon that gets the wide-track axles, Jeep bean counters probably deemed it too costly to retrofit the axles with Trac-Lok units after deleting the Tru-Lok units.

On the normal width D44 Advantek axles you can get Trac-Lok, but not on the wide width version.

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Yeah in another thread we talked about why and my theory is that since the Sport Max Towing model is the ONLY other model besides Rubicon that gets the wide-track axles, Jeep bean counters probably deemed it too costly to retrofit the axles with Trac-Lok units after deleting the Tru-Lok units.

On the normal width D44 Advantek axles you can get Trac-Lok, but not on the wide width version.
You're honestly not missing much, the bld works pretty well if you get in a sticky situation.

You guys almost have me convinced I should have gotten a sport s with max tow and a few other options instead of the loaded Rubicon I have now... Some good tires and a winch and I'd have saved $10k and likely not missed the extra bits much. Of course, I'd also be waiting for it instead of driving it, so between that and all the fun gizmos it has to play with I guess it's worth it.

Sponsored

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator

Acually, the Rubi axles have different carriers and parts are not generally interchangeable between Rubi axles and all the others. I would bet this is why.

As Rubis come with lockers, they probably don't make one that fits. Not mussing much; it's a brake clutch diff so not a traditional LSD

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Acually, the Rubi axles have different carriers and parts are not generally interchangeable between Rubi axles and all the others. I would bet this is why.

As Rubis come with lockers, they probably don't make one that fits. Not mussing much; it's a brake clutch diff so not a traditional LSD
So you're saying that the axles in the Rubicon have completely different carriers designed specifically for the Tru-Lok lockers? And the standard width D44s have carriers that accommodate the Trac-Lok limited slip?

Then what keeps them from dropping the Trac-Lok carriers into the wide-track axles for Sport Max Towing production? Seems like that would be simple enough.

I agree the LSD option with its clutches that will eventually wear out is probably not worth it, which is why I never order it, but it just seemed odd at first that they wouldn't let us combine it with Max Towing if we wanted.

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
So you're saying that the axles in the Rubicon have completely different carriers designed specifically for the Tru-Lok lockers? And the standard width D44s have carriers that accommodate the Trac-Lok limited slip?

Then what keeps them from dropping the Trac-Lok carriers into the wide-track axles for Sport Max Towing production? Seems like that would be simple enough.

I agree the LSD option with its clutches that will eventually wear out is probably not worth it, which is why I never order it, but it just seemed odd at first that they wouldn't let us combine it with Max Towing if we wanted.
You’re talking about stuff that will probably come out in special edition Gladiators in coming years. Maybe a 715 Edition that’ll come with a rear locker and wide axles...something along those lines

sandbaja

First Name
larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
The fenders on Sport with Max Towing and on Rubicon both are listed as "MM2" in the order guide, so apparently they are the same.
upload_2019-5-22_7-44-9.png

To me the Rubicon on the order guides states MM3, not MM2. I hope I'm wrong but even dealer pictures of max tow on lot seem to show non rubi fenders. I looked at dealers in the Detroit area.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
upload_2019-5-22_7-44-9.png

To me the Rubicon on the order guides states MM3, not MM2. I hope I'm wrong but even dealer pictures of max tow on lot seem to show non rubi fenders. I looked at dealers in the Detroit area.
When you look at the order guide, it shows the MM2 fenders for Rubicon and for Sport Max Towing both. Obviously you can get the optional MM3 fenders (body colored) on Rubicon, but the base fenders on Rubicon are MM2.

However, I agree with you that when I look at pics of Max Towing models the fenders don't appear to be Rubicon fenders. So... this is odd.

JTfenders.jpg

JTfenders2.jpg

Hemi

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK, 2020 Gladiator

I'm just saying they have different carriers, the tooth count is different, the pinion is different. Parts just can't be swapped. If they dropped the "trac loc" carrier in you would lose the 4.10 gearing and go back to 3,73. It's a completely different build.

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
The fenders on Sport with Max Towing and on Rubicon both are listed as "MM2" in the order guide, so apparently they are the same.
Not sure about the rear fenders, but the front fenders are way different from a Rubicon to a Sport S with Max-tow. I would think they may be the same "width" due to the wider axles, but its obvious that Rubicon fronts sit way higher than all the others

mikejwil

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
The order guide confirms this: "ANTI-SPIN DIFFERENTIAL REAR AXLE" is listed as "N/A W/AJQ", and AJQ is the code for the max tow group.
Everything I've seen has the DSA (trac-lok) *included* with max tow option. I did the build & price on Jeep.com and also using the google spreadsheet shared on here. Perhaps the DSA option is specifically reserved for the non-wide track axles? That was the order code for it when I got my JK.
Sponsored