Sport S vs Rubicon standard features list

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm trying to decide if the step up from Sport S to Rubicon is worth the money, but I found it hard to compare them side-by-side. I put the standard feature lists from the configurator into a table so I could more easily see what is the same and what is different. Thought I'd share in case anyone else finds it useful:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PmkHQwkQogRMywvTXn6rhf2soQD-l_wGPaQeW4dfvbU/edit?usp=sharing

Anything that is different between the two trim levels as listed in the configurator is highlighted in yellow.
Sponsored

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
If you get the max tow with the sport S you’ll get dana 44 front/rear axles and 4.10 gears just like the Rubicon. Unheard of on a sport model before the JT came out.

OP
OP

russross

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
If you get the max tow with the sport S you’ll get dana 44 front/rear axles and 4.10 gears just like the Rubicon. Unheard of on a sport model before the JT came out.
That's what makes it so hard to decide. Here are the builds I'm comparing:

Sport S: $44,960
Automatic transmission
Max tow package
7-inch radio group
Aux switch group
Black Freedom hard top
Tonneau cover
Slush mats
+ anything else pulled in as requirements to get the above

Rubicon: $49,425
Automatic transmission
Tow package
Aux switch group
Black Freedom hard top
Tonneau cover
Slush mats

That's a difference of $4,465. I like the Sport S with max tow for all the same reasons everyone else does, but the Rubicon still has a lot to offer. Is it worth $4,500 more added to an already pricey build? That's the question I'm struggling with.

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase

Automatic transmission
Max tow package
7-inch radio group
Aux switch group
Black Freedom hard top
Tonneau cover
Slush mats

Automatic transmission
Tow package
Aux switch group
Black Freedom hard top
Tonneau cover
Slush mats

That's a difference of $4,465. I like the Sport S with max tow for all the same reasons everyone else does, but the Rubicon still has a lot to offer. Is it worth $4,500 more added to an already pricey build? That's the question I'm struggling with.
Plus, add $1000 for cab rock rails, then maybe $300 for the bed rock rails, and $600 for the high Rubicon fenders and now you are looking at a difference of $1965. Then go to the 33 inch MT's at $1000 and that price difference drops below $1000. Plus the rubicon will have lockers, a sway bar disconnect and a better suspension.

I did them same thing, built the Sport S and Rubicon as similar as possible and came up with a $4370 difference, then added the items I just mentioned. The Rubicon is definitely the way to go for me.

starrsRN

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADON RN
Plus, add $1000 for cab rock rails, then maybe $300 for the bed rock rails, and $600 for the high Rubicon fenders and now you are looking at a difference of $1965. Then go to the 33 inch MT's at $1000 and that price difference drops below $1000. Plus the rubicon will have lockers, a sway bar disconnect and a better suspension.

I did them same thing, built the Sport S and Rubicon as similar as possible and came up with a $4370 difference, then added the items I just mentioned. The Rubicon is definitely the way to go for me.
If your not gong bigger than 33s Rubicon is the way to go. If your going 35s/37s sport S is the smarter platform. Sure you can throw 35s on the stock Rubicon...but if you flex at all you’ll be buying new flares.

Sponsored

jeepguy225

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator JTR, '04 Rubicon (past: 04 TJR, 79 and 84' CJ-7)
Occupation
Buyer of Jeep parts
Vehicle Showcase
If your not gong bigger than 33s Rubicon is the way to go. If your going 35s/37s sport S is the smarter platform. Sure you can throw 35s on the stock Rubicon...but if you flex at all you’ll be buying new flares.
Then it all comes down to which transfer case you want.

Phantom

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 TJ, 97 Ram Cummins, 13 Rally Fighter
Occupation
Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you very much for posting this. I'm in the exact same predicament. I'm also torn because I think I prefer the 5in radio with real knobs over the 7in touch screen but I like the Rubicon Wheels, Hood, fenders, lockers, all that. What I don't like is the red accents everywhere because I want to get mine in gator and it doesn't go well with red at all. Thanks for posting this though. It's helping the decision a lot

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Resale on the Rubicon will always be superior as well.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel

Automatic transmission
Max tow package
7-inch radio group
Aux switch group
Black Freedom hard top
Tonneau cover
Slush mats

Automatic transmission
Tow package
Aux switch group
Black Freedom hard top
Tonneau cover
Slush mats

Well, opting for Rubicon gives you the electronic unlockable front sway bar and built in e-locking diffs, plus better shocks and unlocks options availability of 8.4 display, trail cam, and leather.
So if you don't care about the larger display or leather and are planning on doing a lot to your suspension you are probably better of with the Sport S. manual sway disconnects are very cheap and you can get lockers(installed) for approx. 1000-1500 per axle

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Thank you very much for posting this. I'm in the exact same predicament. I'm also torn because I think I prefer the 5in radio with real knobs over the 7in touch screen but I like the Rubicon Wheels, Hood, fenders, lockers, all that. What I don't like is the red accents everywhere because I want to get mine in gator and it doesn't go well with red at all. Thanks for posting this though. It's helping the decision a lot
All can be added after

Sponsored

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
Then it all comes down to which transfer case you want.
I keep hearing this mentioned regularly. How really is the Rubicon's transfer case more beneficial for offroading and trails, and NOT rock climbing? I'm sure most of us who will purchase the Gladiator will not rock climb to the same extent as a JL/JLU on 35s.

I too am struggling with the same question as OP.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Resale on the Rubicon will always be superior as well.
This gets said a lot but is not accurate. While the Rubicon will always be more valuable, the Sport actually retains a better percentage of original value over time. This means that you lose less with the Sport. I am not necessarily advocating for people to buy a Sport, as everyone has to make the decision on what’s best for them. I believe that the Rubicon is worth the value if lockers, transfer case range, sway bar disconnect, and higher fender flares are considered and needed (I left out rock rails because the factory rails really don’t get the job done).

Last edited:

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
This gets said a lot but is not accurate. While the Rubicon will always be more valuable, the Sport actually retains a better percentage of original value over time. This means that you lose less with the Sport. I am not necessarily advocating for people to buy a Sport, as everyone has to make the decision on what’s best for them. I believe that the Rubicon is worth the value if lockers, transfer case range, sway bar disconnect, and higher fender flares are considered and needed (I left out rock rails because the factory rails really don’t get the job done).
I actually have experience buying and selling both a JK Rubicon and two Sports and your theory would be incorrect.

My Rubicon sold quicker, only 3 days listed, had multiple buyers and I sold it at asking price. The Sports sold but took longer and there was some dealing that took place. Case in point, I bought a 2013 JKUR for $39K, put 40k miles on it, and sold it 3 years later for $37k.

Looking at Autotrader/Craigslist older Rubicons (TJ era) seem to fetch about what folks paid for them in their day too. A good condition Sport sells for 30 to 40% less. Not knocking the Sport but by the time folks make it a Rubicon it’ll never be worth the $ they’ve put into it when they go to sell it.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I actually have experience buying and selling both a JK Rubicon and two Sports and your theory would be incorrect.

My Rubicon sold quicker, only 3 days listed, had multiple buyers and I sold it at asking price. The Sports sold but took longer and there was some dealing that took place. Case in point, I bought a 2013 JKUR for $39K, put 40k miles on it, and sold it 3 years later for $37k.

Looking at Autotrader/Craigslist older Rubicons (TJ era) seem to fetch about what folks paid for them in their day too. A good condition Sport sells for 30 to 40% less. Not knocking the Sport but by the time folks make it a Rubicon it’ll never be worth the $ they’ve put into it when they go to sell it.
Go to Edmunds forum and check lease residuals. Sports generally retain 70-73% of original MSRP over 36 months, while the Rubi holds 68-69%. Saharas (Overland) are the worst at around 65%.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
This is actually not true...

I just priced out a 2018 Sport S vs. a Rubicon with everything the same as possible on kbb.com and the difference was over $11,300...

I’m sure it didn’t cost that much more when bought...

A factory optioned vehicle will always command more money than one where an individual added stuff to his in an attempt to bring it up to Rubicon level performance
Sponsored