Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at most of (if not all) the tonneau covers they use the 2 holes in the front of the bed at the corners to mount the brackets that hold the front of the tonneau cover down and then you scribe out the sections in the bedliner on each side rear to expose the 2 threaded holes for the rear tie downs

Well at first opening the box, the hardware kit fell to the floor with a hole in the plastic bag that holds the 2 front brackets, the 2 rear brackets and screws. Brackets were there but not all the bolts.
Next, they say to mount the front bracket to the cab side bed rail, you use 1 bolt with a well nut (pinch nut that expands) and the bottom hole is threaded in (no well nut needed). But both my hols are wide open. Wonder if this is something that changed in 2021? Even mopar covers use that same type of fastener to attach the bracket.

So I'll call them in the morning and ask them to send me a new bag of hardware and ask if I need 4 of those well nuts or only 2.

Te material of the fabric perfectly matches my premium soft top cover, so that is great an seems to (when dry fit) fit perfectly around the black horse rollbar
Here are some pics of the holes in the cab front.
You folks with 2020MY trucks, are you holes the same or is 1 threaded?
Thanks
Todd

Jeep Gladiator Rugged Ridge Tonneau cover install issues Cab holes

Jeep Gladiator Rugged Ridge Tonneau cover install issues Hardware kit

Jeep Gladiator Rugged Ridge Tonneau cover install issues Instructions for front bracket

Jeep Gladiator Rugged Ridge Tonneau cover install issues Open parts ba
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nine Ball

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Some trucks came with threaded holes (mine did) and some did not. If you don't have the threaded holes, you'll either need to buy a Nut-Sert kit and tool and install threads, or simply put a locknut on the backside of the screw.

OP
OP
mtudb24

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Some trucks came with threaded holes (mine did) and some did not. If you don't have the threaded holes, you'll either need to buy a Nut-Sert kit and tool and install threads, or simply put a locknut on the backside of the screw.
How do you get a nut to the backside? Unless your contortionist, its about impossible without that expandable nut (like a molley) to get your hands behind the cab / bed area.to hold a nut.

I'll have to google a Nut-Sert kit as i don't know what that this.
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated
Todd

Nine Ball

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Entrepreneur
How do you get a nut to the backside? Unless your contortionist, its about impossible without that expandable nut (like a molley) to get your hands behind the cab / bed area.to hold a nut.

I'll have to google a Nut-Sert kit as i don't know what that this.
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated
Todd
One of these. It basically takes a drilled hole in sheet metal, and "presses" in a set of threads to make the hole usable. https://www.amazon.com/WETOLS-Rivet-Metric-Mandrels-Rivnuts/dp/B081GDRTXP/

OP
OP
mtudb24

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Of course both the phone number on Rugged Ridge's website and the phone number on their instruction sheet is disconnected. WTF????

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Of course both the phone number on Rugged Ridge's website and the phone number on their instruction sheet is disconnected. WTF????
+17706146101

That's the phone number, omix-ada is the company that owns Rugged Ridge brand based out of Georgia

ddom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
+17706146101

That's the phone number, omix-ada is the company that owns Rugged Ridge brand based out of Georgia
Mine has one of the holes threaded. What is the spec of nutplate? i.e. Imperial or Metric... Spec of the fastener you used?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
There are two different versions of the Mopar tri-fold tonneau based on date of manufacture. My JTR is the older version and has the threaded nut welded in the bedside. I suspect this has been deleted in newer trucks.

I verified the correct version of tonneau cover with @allmoparparts - well, actually, their regular customer service, which did a GREAT job. The old variant of tonneau was in stock and I've been running it for a couple of weeks now. The new variant was on backorder with no ETA, so I got lucky.

OP
OP
mtudb24

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
+17706146101

Yes, that number was disconnected as well, but it was because of the hurricane that went through last night. I did get ahold of them and they are working on resolving my issue.

2021 Vehicles have changed and they have to provide all new mounting provisions since the holes in cab portion of the bed are completely different then the 2020 MY trucks

OP
OP
mtudb24

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has one of the holes threaded. What is the spec of nutplate? i.e. Imperial or Metric... Spec of the fastener you used?
New trucks both hole are larger and not threaded. Don't know what the spec is since most the hardware was missing out of the kit.

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that number was disconnected as well, but it was because of the hurricane that went through last night. I did get ahold of them and they are working on resolving my issue.

2021 Vehicles have changed and they have to provide all new mounting provisions since the holes in cab portion of the bed are completely different then the 2020 MY trucks
That sucks but glad you got it resolved. Wonder why FCA decided to that

OP
OP
mtudb24

mtudb24

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Got a message from Bruce at RR. Outstanding customer service right there!

Hi Todd,

We are in luck - the new bulkhead brackets are in stock. So with that, I have generated our warranty order# CSR00038982 to ship you the new kit as well as a replacement pack of the regular hardware. I have already submitted the order to the warehouse and we will do everything we can to get that out today for an overnight delivery to you tomorrow. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase

Hi Todd,

We are in luck - the new bulkhead brackets are in stock. So with that, I have generated our warranty order# CSR00038982 to ship you the new kit as well as a replacement pack of the regular hardware. I have already submitted the order to the warehouse and we will do everything we can to get that out today for an overnight delivery to you tomorrow. We apologize for the inconvenience!
That's great! I to can't say enough about their customer service. They have always been top notch to me and never questioned any issues I have had. Always willing to go the extra mile.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I had the same issue when I installed mine. Instructions and provided hardware are crap. I installed rivnuts in the top holes to accept the bolt then used the screws with the expanding rubber on the bottom. Holds fine.

punk'n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R.I.P '20 Overland (totaled) Welcome home '21 Rubi

Hi Todd,

Much better service then I got from Bestop. It took almost two months to get a small mounting plate and two screws for my tonneau that were missing. They told me about 5 times they would ship out the next day and never did. It literally took hours of phone calls (on hold for about 45 each time) and live chat to finally get the parts.
Sponsored