Sponsored

Running board sliders

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I'm trying to find a set of frame mounted sliders in a running board form factor. Specifically, I want the obvious skid protection, functional steps for short family members, and a solid barrier between the front tires and everything behind them to protect against rocks and slush. I've owned a lot of classic cars, and
I think proper running boards are more or less necessary to tie fenders together and "complete the package". The Overland trim comes with body mounted and plastic clad running boards with flares on either side to tie into the fenders; this is a great, but ultimately non-functional example. Is anyone aware of any such thing out there?
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
You will not find better for that then GenRight. Great step. Most use 3/16" tube, they use full 1/4". Each skid weighs like 112 lbs.

Frame mounted in 5 places on each of the 4 legs, so 20 frame bolts. Don't use the body mount bolts, tap your own, which leaves the body bolts open for skid plates.

The lip hides the ugly pinch seam nicely.

I have a set in my garage hoping to get on within the next 2 weeks. Very impressive in person.

https://genright.com/products/jeep-gladiator-jt-rocker-guards-w-step.html

Jeep Gladiator Running board sliders 1620142376021

Jeep Gladiator Running board sliders 1620142412760

OP
OP

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
A definitional aspect of running borads (to me at least) is that they're incorporated into the fenders at each end in terms of flow.
Mopar-Side-Steps-Jeep-Gladiator-JT-82215608-Main.jpg

The photo above is the Overland running boards. They're the full width of the front fenders where they meet. In my opinion, they should taper toward the back such that they're the same width as the rear fenders where they meet. But notice how there's a flare on each end so that they meet up with the fenders.

Here's an example from an older Kaiser Willys:
photo-3.jpg

That running board is technically a single piece with the front fender, but keeping that gap as minimal as possible eliminates damage from anything kicked up by the front tire. Mounting the running boards to the frame and using them as sliders necessitates a gap to account for movement between the body and frame, but as minimal as possible is the goal.

Steps, sliders, and mud/rock guards all-in-one is what I'm after.

OP
OP

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I've seen those. I might be interested save that they seem to be super failure prone, and I don't want all the extra complication and weight. If they made them in one piece without the extend-o-step, that'd be close to what I'm after. Also, they're body mounted, right?

Sponsored

Jeepguy002

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Cell Culture and Purification Technician
OP
OP

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
Close, but body mounted. Also, they look about the same width as the rear fender, but much narrower than the front.

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Lod Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL

Sponsored

jc1986

First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator rubicon sting grey 6spd
WKO finally released today at 750 starting point for a frame mounted slider.
Jeep Gladiator Running board sliders 1620156294903
I’m really interested in these. They have a great following with the power wagon crowd. I hope someone picks them up and provides a review. They have two options one that mounts in concert with the rubicon rails amd ones that replace them. The full dom tubing and dimpled plate pushes the price over 1200 though.

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well lets see them!
Real quality work! The brackets are really beefy. The wait was long but worth it

Found another benefit of these things. With the doors off, I've got a spot to rest my foot and don't have to put on for pegs.

20210408_172452.jpg

20210408_172442.jpg

T-Rock

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mohave; 2020 WK2 Trailhawk
2020-2021 Jeep Gladiator Rock Rails, Jeep Performance Parts 82215606 | Mopar Estores

I got these right from the dealer, and it sounds like what you are looking for. Somewhat pricey I know but genuine Mopar parts and very high quality in my opinion. They are coated in a bed liner like material for no slip and rust protection.
Based on the prices of the others mentioned here these are the least expensive. I wish my JT came with them. Mine came with the standard rock sliders which are solid but I need to pull them off to get something with a step for my wife to climb into the cab.

Jeepguy002

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Cell Culture and Purification Technician
Based on the prices of the others mentioned here these are the least expensive. I wish my JT came with them. Mine came with the standard rock sliders which are solid but I need to pull them off to get something with a step for my wife to climb into the cab.
That was my exact dilemma too.