Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Blind spot annoys the hell out of me. I'm constantly watching my mirrors, that's not a place I need warnings about. It goes off because I always turn my signal on well before I'm going to change lanes, and a car may still be there. I'm letting the guy behind him know my plans.

I guess I need to start being more aggressive and only signal half way into the change, like so many people do.

The cross traffic warning for parking lots as you back out helps me almost daily, because one particular place I go to 4-5 times a week has a super crowded parking lot with low visibility.
You can turn off the lane change audible alert.
Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Wondering how safety features are a nuisance?
They are annoying. They promote lazy driving habits. They are used a a crutch for poor driving habits. They are used as an excuse for poor driving habits that cause accidents. They promote distracted driving. They unnecessarily drive up the coast of vehicles.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I'm surprised, there's more love for these safety packages than I was expecting. To each his own anyway. I do think they could make a couple more of these standard without gouging the customer. Many other manufacturers have things like the blind spot monitoring on base models. It's just with these, Jeep wants to make everything a la carte, which is how a Rubicon that "starts at $43k" quickly ends up costing $55-$60k.

I used to drive others around for a living and now haul my family, and have honed defensive driving skills over the years so I'm saving the money for other things.

Oh and when you take the doors off, most if not all of these won't work, you'll have to get used to only having a rearview mirror, and when you put the doors back on, you may bend a pin and disable the features then too!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Insurance industry studies show that these do not negate the need for educated drivers, and they do actually save lives even when people do everything right.
And as long as states hand out licenses to everyone (I won't go there, but you know what I mean), and they forgive certain people doing certain things, well.

There's a lot of bad info out there, but then this is the internet so once something is repeated often enough, it becomes fact.

Sponsored

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Insurance industry studies show that these do not negate the need for educated drivers, and they do actually save lives even when people do everything right.
Can you point us to an accident that happened when people did everything right? I can not think of any but if I was thinking hypothetical I would say that must of involved a mechanical error of some sort. Hence why i don't trust " safety features".

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
They are annoying. They promote lazy driving habits. They are used a a crutch for poor driving habits. They are used as an excuse for poor driving habits that cause accidents. They promote distracted driving. They unnecessarily drive up the coast of vehicles.
Maybe for some. Not for me. They make driving safer and less stressful for me.

But anyway, they are options on the JT, so one is free to include them or not.

tyscty

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
EOD
I purposefully did NOT want them and ordered without them.

My reasons:
  1. Cost
  2. Adding the safety packages puts the big box on your rear view mirror. I don't have the big box, and it's quite nice.
  3. More electronics running to doors which are disabled anyway when I remove doors. Probably going to be extremely rare, but this did cross my mind
  4. I believe there are sensors in the front and rear bumper, and I do want to eventually go with after market bumpers with a winch one day, so that would defeat the system? I read something for sure on the rear bumper, but I'm not positive about the front.
  5. Knowing that it's a brick and not a race car, I'm planning on being a very defensive driver. I put a lot of focus on keeping my distance from vehicles in front of me, mostly because I don't want rocks getting flung at the wind shield.
  6. I rarely use cruise control anyway. I prefer to be in manual pilot mode at all times. In the rare cases I am actually cruising on the empty highway, I try to remain focused on my surroundings and if I'm getting too close to anyone else, than I'm going manual pilot again. I fear that having too much automation will make me lazy and ultimately hurt my driving skills in the long run.
  7. I bounce between two vehicles. I don't want to get used to additional features on one, and then they are not there on the other. I just want to be the best driver I can be all the time.

I'm loving mine the way it is without the safety stuff. I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Checking my blind spots is pretty easy for me, and I don't feel like I need the assistance of a warning light.

I would never talk you out of it though! I'll just give you my personal reasons. If you like the features, then go for it!
I have the added features and having driven across the country I grown to appreciate the adaptive cruse control. However, I absolutely HATE the collision avoidance system. Three times it has engaged on me and once almost got me rear ended.

Examples:

1. I was coasting down a hill as the car in front of me was turning right, I was going about 25mph. Because I was approaching the last nick of his car too fast it slammed on my brakes and almost got me rear ended.

2. On two separate occasions I was driving on a smooth road with short steep hills and as I went down and quickly back up the sensor again made me come to a halt. System needs work!

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
I have the added features and having driven across the country I grown to appreciate the adaptive cruse control. However, I absolutely HATE the collision avoidance system. Three times it has engaged on me and once almost got me rear ended.

Examples:

1. I was coasting down a hill as the car in front of me was turning right, I was going about 25mph. Because I was approaching the last nick of his car too fast it slammed on my brakes and almost got me rear ended.

2. On two separate occasions I was driving on a smooth road with short steep hills and as I went down and quickly back up the sensor again made me come to a halt. System needs work!
Is the sensitivity adjustable?
Does it use your settings from the ACC?
I've had it in rentals, and really liked it, but I've not tried the Chrysler version.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future

Examples:

Yeah, I don't want any of this Tesla-wannabe stuff until it has a few years of not only being full proof, but actually backed up with Machine Learning massive amounts of data. FCA isn't even on the same planet.

I'm fine driving it without any help.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase

Examples:

You can adjust the settings for the FCW. It has three sensitivity levels, can be set for warning only, or turned off.

Acano363

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
As someone who hadn't tried adaptive cruise control until 2018, I have to say it has been very nice to have during long highway commutes. From experience in my Toyota and now on my Jeep, I don't notice any differences between the two makes, they are both great.

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I think you miss the point of these safety packages. They’re a last resort safety item and to say they promote lazy driving is like saying seatbelts or helmets promote lazy driving. If you can’t afford these options or choose to not get them then so be it, but to say they promote lazy driving is absolutely ludicrous and baseless.

kdfhuey

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I can. Accidents happen all the time where people did every right. As in someone ran into you. Lol. You’re stating that these safety features are a crutch for good attentive driving. So yes, being a human being I can assure you that you’ve made errors in your driving in the past, hopefully they were not resulting in an accident. That said, the blind spot monitoring system still states that it’s just for situational awareness, ergo you still are supposed to look before change lanes to make sure no ones in your blind spot. The auto braking isn’t for daily use when you’re too lazy to brake for yourself. Come on, these systems are there to aid you in being a safer driver. Just like the back up cameras are there to help aid you in backing up. Is autopilot on an airplane making pilots less safe? They’re there to help a pilot with fatigue and enhance their situational awareness.
These systems are well worth the price and even if they save your bacon once they will have paid for themselves.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I ordered mine, didn't get any safety packages, none, zip, zelch. I've never had any of that stuff before and when checking the boxes I didn't research or investigate, I just passed it by. Who knows, I may have liked it. Having never had any of those extra safety options I surely don't miss them, or maybe I don't know what I'm missing. What ever the case I'm completely happy with my configuration.
Sponsored