Scrambler (JT) 2 door/Extended cab

Should the Scrambler lineup inlcude:

• Total voters

Mr_baker4420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I'm not butt hurt. I'd actually love a two door gladiator. I just happen to think internet tough guys are hilarious.
Sponsored

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I'm not butt hurt. I'd actually love a two door gladiator. I just happen to think internet tough guys are hilarious.
Not being "tough" - seen that attempted before as you say on the internet - not a fan. Just trying to maintain a certain level of decorum in this forum.

That said, back to the subject matter - the Gladiator as a Jeep pickup is naturally appealing to some buyers and not others - I am resistant to this "lifestyle" badge as I don't get what it really means - for example, what about lifestyles that need more bed space then 60 inches? If just a lifestyle vehicle, - why does Jeep go on about best in class payload? Or towing? These are certainly truck-based statistics. Why have such a big payload number and such a little tiny bed to carry the payload in? Toyota and even Chevy are smart - the Tacoma TRD is certainly a lifestyle truck as is the Colorado ZR2 and the forthcoming Bison - probably the Gladiator's prime competitor's. These each offer varying beds and cab configurations - heck Toyota's 2019 build & price configurator even has a tab for bed and cab choices.

And again, before all the comments come about hauling the kids, and motorcycles, mountain bikes and kayaks - I get it and I really feel that's great. I am not berating this lifestyle and a truck that accommodates it. I really am happy for those who needs will be well-served by this configuration. It just makes no sense that they went to all this effort, all this expense and they build one single vehicle in one single configuration and they ignore those us with our lifestyle needs without a configuration that meets them. While at the same time virtually every other manufacturer is meeting them. I would much prefer to have an extended cab Gladiator then a Colorado or Tacoma it is frustrating not to have that option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd say we shouldn't expect anything really modified from this four door platform for about five years. FCA will want to make sure that the first few years aren't just hype selling the model and also make sure they didn't totally mess up the Gladiator in some way.

I'm betting after three years of proven sales and then two of engineering a new frame and drivetrain for a two door shorted then we'll see it. We'll probably see a two door long bed first if they can finagle the bed onto the existing frame with a two door body.

What we all have to remember is that no matter what the change is, once an automotive design is changed from the one currently running along the production lines, the need for a new line to be built comes about as well as a bunch of new engineering challenges in design. There are a lot of people on every forum who oversimplify the engineering, development and testing of vehicles.

FCA could slam together a two door short bed on some scrap stuff to make people happy but if they don't design it right and test properly, it could fail miserably. Then those who want a two door will hang them for it and the Jeep reputation will have a lasting blemish on it.
My thought in saying 2 or 3 years is remember FCA and the Ram Rebel - by the second year the Rebel added the quad cab and longer bed configuration instead of just a crew cab and shorter bed - this same scenario could play out with the Gladiator.

Mr_baker4420

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
2015er I get what you're saying. I think jeep is just going with the most marketable configuration currently. Let's be honest, the vast majority of jeep owners use their as a daily commuter. The Gladiator isn't going to be a great offroad vehicle anyway. A short bed two door would be best for that purpose. And as far a the Gladiator being used as a work truck? That just seems like a waste of money. You could probably buy two trucks of a different brand.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015er I get what you're saying. I think jeep is just going with the most marketable configuration currently. Let's be honest, the vast majority of jeep owners use their as a daily commuter. The Gladiator isn't going to be a great offroad vehicle anyway. A short bed two door would be best for that purpose. And as far a the Gladiator being used as a work truck? That just seems like a waste of money. You could probably buy two trucks of a different brand.
You very well may be right....I guess only time will tell

Sponsored

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
It's no secret I have ZERO love for the 4 door thing with a tiny bed...
I an onboard with the extended cab and longer bed.
I think all the hoopla for the JT as is will be filled quickly and then it will fall to the side much like the H2 HUT and every other Jeep truck ever made.
I could be wrong I have been before, just my opinion so you two guys that always start screaming "Troll" hold your water.
It's just my opinion, but we will see what happens the first time the wife takes it with all the kids and nowhere to put the gear or groceries and it's raining.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
I think all the hoopla for the JT as is will be filled quickly and then it will fall to the side much like the H2 HUT and every other Jeep truck ever made.
I could be wrong I have been before, just my opinion so you two guys that always start screaming "Troll" hold your water.
It's just my opinion, but we will see what happens the first time the wife takes it with all the kids and nowhere to put the gear or groceries and it's raining.
there is some room under the seat for bags if you remove or delete the lockable storage. The seat lifts up, which unfortunately the JT/JL does not. Plus most people who worry about cargo will have a tonneau cover or soft topper. The problem with the JT/JL is once you put a dog box or duffle bag in the back all the storage is gone.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I truly believe Jeep will be offering an extended cab and longer bed. When they consider the demand and loss of sales to competitors who do offer alternatives - they have to offer more choices.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
My thought in saying 2 or 3 years is remember FCA and the Ram Rebel - by the second year the Rebel added the quad cab and longer bed configuration instead of just a crew cab and shorter bed - this same scenario could play out with the Gladiator.
Sad truth is that Jeep has said that a different bed and cab configuration will never happen, yes they can change their mind, chances of that is low, FCA is not in the best financial condition so they would rather save money of development costs and lose 5% sales on a truck that will probably already be maxed out on production load.
It's bean counting.

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
I would just put the groceries in the bed of the truck under the bed cover or put them in the floor of the backseat like I did with my Ram 1500. You could be right about it falling on its face but then again there were people who thought the 4 door wrangler would do the same.

Sponsored

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
My Comanche was 2 door long bed with a bench seat. That's why I bought it. I did not buy similarly equipped vehicles from other brands because Jeep.

So, if Jeep offers another 2door long bed I'm a buyer.

In the meantime I'm a buyer of the Gladiator because Jeep Truck.

But I know when a two door CJ crawls past that it's the original Jeep and the 4 door Gladiator shortbed is the kid in Sunday School clothes looking out the window at the kid who got out early and is in the wind. Deny that. Now if I was in a 2door long bed Jeep truck, dude would be in just another cool jeep. That's just me, not trying to offend anyone.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sad truth is that Jeep has said that a different bed and cab configuration will never happen, yes they can change their mind, chances of that is low, FCA is not in the best financial condition so they would rather save money of development costs and lose 5% sales on a truck that will probably already be maxed out on production load.
It's bean counting.
This is exactly what most people said,including all the Jeep officials about producing another Jeep pickup- yet here we are today with an official Jeep pickup being produced. FCA is losing money but not on Jeeps especially Wranglers. My prediction is Jeep will be expanding offerings not contracting. As such we’ll see variants of the Gladiator coming soon.

DMoney

First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mitsubishi Montero Sport w/ 1.5 inch lift.
Occupation
Freight-liner Diesel Technician
This is exactly what most people said,including all the Jeep officials about producing another Jeep pickup- yet here we are today with an official Jeep pickup being produced. FCA is losing money but not on Jeeps especially Wranglers. My prediction is Jeep will be expanding offerings not contracting. As such we’ll see variants of the Gladiator coming soon.
FCA has already said they are going to going to bring a midsize ram on the future, I figure that they will expand their offerings by bringing back the Dakota or what ever they are going to call it.

OP
OP
2015er

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FCA has already said they are going to going to bring a midsize ram on the future, I figure that they will expand their offerings by bringing back the Dakota or what ever they are going to call it.
I think you're probably correct....