39.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Since you bumped this I read this earlier in the day and while its not mid-size it gives good info on take rates for the configurations:

https://www.hdrams.com/2019/01/11/dealer-info-sheds-light-on-ram-heavy-duty-lineup/

Some key takeaways:

2500 Cab Config

For some reason, the 3500 has a much bigger take rate on the entry-level model. Probably because to get the High Output Cummins you have to get the 3500 over the 2500 and people that are using them for work are wanting that motor.

3500 Cab Config

ThirtyOne likes this.
  2. Vegas_Sirk

Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Also the first line of that article says:

That's not helping your argument for a 2-door.

3. 5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liberty
    Liked:
    Waiting for the gladiator focused version of that article

4. ytjt

ytjt New Member

Vehicle(s):
    Ridgeline
    Liked:
    I am hoping for a future extended cab.

The reason has little to do with the number of doors.

It is mainly because I need a longer bed. I could maybe accept a 4 door if they had a longer bed option.

I believe there is zero chance that JEEP will ever offer that. They aren't going to go lengthen the frame and modify driveline to offer two different 4 door models.
    There is, in my opinion, a chance they could retain the frame and driveline, decrease the cab and add some bed length.

As far as I've experienced, all the commercials showing 5' bed compact trucks hauling all the "lifestyle" toys are fairly optimistic and almost false advertising. Yep, try to take off for a weekend with two dirtbikes and gear, when you can't even close the tailgate hauling a mountain bike.

Yes, you can tell me to just get a full size and I probably will have to.
    However, a midsize with a minimum 6' bed and decent diesel would be perfect for my needs, so I will hope for one.

5JeepsAz and 2015er like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    2015er

2015er Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
    Liked:
    I am not interested in the two door for my particular lifestyle needs. I support and hope that Jeep builds an extended cab Gladiator as shown with the original 2005 concept that started the modern-era Jeep pickup movement. Although I do support those who prefer a two cab configuration - I personally want and would definitely purchase an extended cab when its offered.

6. OP
    OP
    2015er

2015er Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    AMEN!!!

7. OP
    OP
    2015er

2015er Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    There's going to be lots of articles once these hit the dealer lots in the spring.

5JeepsAz likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    2015er

2015er Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Heavy duty truck sales - particularly diesel models are a completely different animal due to the towing capability as they are most often used for towing rv's such as fifth wheels. My brother owns a 3500 Ram Limited with a Cummins (gorgeous truck BTW) and he purchased it for his 14,000 lb. fifth wheel. In this instance the crew cab makes sense as people use these configurations to bring their kids, pets etc. and the crew cab is really needed. The lighter 1/2 tons and mid-sizes though are more varied and buyers needs are broad. I use the longer bed in quad cab Ram 1500 Laramie all the time.

9. Karnivoolfan

Karnivoolfan Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    Subaru Baja
    Liked:
    #159 Jan 14, 2019 at 4:00 AM
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019 at 4:21 AM
    FCA: Hey 2 door Gladiator people we didn't forget you.

2 door Gladiator people: YES! YES!

*FCA reveals Dakota*

2 door Gladiator people: *bursts into laughter*

FCA: What's so funny?

2 door Gladiator people: Does the doors come off?

FCA: No

2 door Gladiator people: Does the windshield fold down?

2 door Gladiator people: Does it have any of the cool Wrangler family specific options?

2 door Gladiator people: *laughs and walks away* It's not for us then. We aren't stupid.

FCA: See no one buys extended cabs anymore.

This is all a joke. Don't get your knickers in a twist.

steffen707, 5JeepsAz, 2015er and 2 others like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    2015er

2015er Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I agree with what you're saying 100%. It especially pisses me off that Jeep/FCA left off the differing cab variants and bed lengths in response to many who have hounded Jeep since the 2005 Gladiator concept to build a pickup truck again. The Jeep design chief specifically said: This truck was not built based upon a marketing study but rather it was built in response to the customer base "screaming" for a truck. Who'd a thought that they would offer one bed and one cab only??? I agree, I would love a truck with a soft top and removable doors but I am not going to layout for things like a full rear seat and cab space that will never get used and a bed that is too short for what I need a truck for. Rather than buy a Dakota (if and when one ever appears) I'll just keep my Ram quad cab.

Karnivoolfan likes this.
  11. 5JeepsAz

5JeepsAz Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Liberty
    Liked:
    So I am now at Sport Max Tow. not even an S. I want truck. And, I believe I am correct that if I remove the back seats and put in my bench seat and take off the back doors, that I will have the first two door Jeep Gladiator pickup truck. Either that or get me a test mule from 05. Whatever happened to those?

12. Karnivoolfan

Karnivoolfan Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    Subaru Baja
    Liked:
    Between the truck clusterf**k of Dakota, Gladiator and Ram there is no reason I would consider a Dakota. The Dakota will be too constrained to not step too many toes. It will inevitably but it is more like as few as possible.

13. Vegas_Sirk

Vehicle(s):
    2013 JKU
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Yes I know they are different, but they are also a lot more of a work vehicle. This means the take numbers on standard cabs and long beds are much higher due to fleet sales. While not exact for the mid-size market it gives a perspective of % sold based on cab configuration.

14. OP
    OP
    2015er

2015er Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I guess I do not understand this "work truck" label. Jeep will tell us that the new Gladiator has a "best in class" 7,600 lbs towing capability and can haul 1,600 lbs. hell that's better than my Ram 1500! Yet they resist saying this can appeal to a "work truck" lifestyle....why??? These numbers ARE good and can broaden the appeal of the truck - the Gladiator - with additional bed configurations and cabs can be both...where's the harm? It makes no sense....

15. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2006 Jeep Liberty
    Liked:
    Because they are positioning it as a premium vehicle and will price accordingly - and because the bed is too short for a work truck.

Karnaj likes this.