Sponsored

Service DEF system see dealer warning message

Baggsacker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
I picked up my ordered JTRD mid November. Got my first "service DEF system, see dealer" message at 600 miles. Dealer inspected it and told me that I just needed drive it longer on the interstate and they reset the check engine light. January 23 with 1300 miles, I got a steady check engine light. Code was Reductant heater D control performance. Dealer said it needed a new DEF tank and ordered the part with no eta. Feb. 13 with 1800 miles and -10Ā° weather, still no def tank part avaliable and I got the 200 mile till engine won't start message.
Also if its in 4 wheel drive on snow covered roads for 15-30 minutes I get a "serv 4wd" check engine light. When you turn the truck off and on again it goes away. I have seen this message at least 10 times and was planning on having the dealer look into this if/when they get to replace the DEF tank.
Sponsored

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
I picked mine up from the dealer yesterday afternoon. They could not reproduce the code after initially telling me (I forgot the code number) that it was for the def pump. The countdown went away with the code..........I guess we will see what happens. BTW, this happened before the unusually cold temps we are having now. It happened when it was 50 F out, so freezing cannot be a culprit in my case. Maybe mostly city driving can in 2500 miles??? They did mention that the codes might have gone away after it went through a regen cycle when I was on the interstate getting to them?? Who knows....

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
how can it be a problem so significant the system will disable the vehicle but can somehow rectify itself and clear the code.......no way. if all it took was a regen why would it throw a code instead of initiating regen. their story doesn't make sense.

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
I agree with you and it is basically what I asked them about before leaving. They said, they cannot get the codes back and all diagnostics check out. .... One coincidence is, I did unmarry my Tazer Lite before driving to the dealer (approx 55 interstate miles). I used the Tazer for tire size and turning TPMS off...I am wondering if that has anything to do with this at all??

NvrWntr

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EcoDiesel Gladiator
Occupation
Railroad
Iā€™m still in the shop making today day 9 now in a loaner. Newest update for my rig is that they do not believe it was the heaters going bad, but the DEF pump losing prime potentially. This is the second DEF pump already and now they are waiting on the engineering team to further review again for a path to resolution. Thinking about it deeper, the first pump went out at about 23-2500mi on the rig. They put a new one in it, and approx 2500 later... boom, another def code leading to potentially the pump again... itā€™s unfortunate that the issues are happening in the frequency they are, but over all my dealership has been great so far. I think the delay is most definitely coming from the Jeep Corp. side.

Sponsored

Baggsacker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Diesel
One coincidence is, I did unmarry my Tazer Lite before driving to the dealer (approx 55 interstate miles). I used the Tazer for tire size and turning TPMS off...I am wondering if that has anything to do with this at all??
My truck has this problem and 100% stock except for sliders.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
happening again in the same mileage range is rather concerning to hear.

unfortunately the uptick in people reporting problems is pretty discouraging.

i love the power this motor makes but if it's gonna be in the shop every few thousand miles.....i'm definitely gonna trade out sooner than later......well, either trade out or just void the warranty and move forward with a full delete and tune sooner than later.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
happening again in the same mileage range is rather concerning to hear.

unfortunately the uptick in people reporting problems is pretty discouraging.

i love the power this motor makes but if it's gonna be in the shop every few thousand miles.....i'm definitely gonna trade out sooner than later......well, either trade out or just void the warranty and move forward with a full delete and tune sooner than later.

Iā€™m thinking that second option might be the ticket

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
definitely getting more serious about looking into options/costs.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Yeah this is wild. After hemming and hawing over going with the diesel, I finally zero'd in on an order for a rubi w/ it. Working with Daniel at Gupton, awesome guy. It has been a great experience so far but we are 12 hours away and planned to make a family trip out of picking it up. We'll take a rental on the way down, stay a few days and all take the gladiator back. I'm a single config answer away from moving forward on the order, thinking it will be ready early May.

With the experiences you folks have been having, would you say this is a risky plan? I can't even believe I'm asking if a new truck should be trusted to bring my family back home but given these reports, I feel compelled to ask.

Sponsored

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Yeah this is wild. After hemming and hawing over going with the diesel, I finally zero'd in on an order for a rubi w/ it. Working with Daniel at Gupton, awesome guy. It has been a great experience so far but we are 12 hours away and planned to make a family trip out of picking it up. We'll take a rental on the way down, stay a few days and all take the gladiator back. I'm a single config answer away from moving forward on the order, thinking it will be ready early May.

With the experiences you folks have been having, would you say this is a risky plan? I can't even believe I'm asking if a new truck should be trusted to bring my family back home but given these reports, I feel compelled to ask.
I have a 2021 diesel rubicon. It has a little over 5,000 miles on it. I had tremendous water leaking issues around the front driver/passenger sides and after 5 months and a voluminous number of repair attempts, it is being lemon lawed.

That said, I LOVED the diesel and never had one single mechanical problem with the engine or def system. However, for what itā€™s worth, I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to order another diesel. Sure, some will have great experiences and others wonā€™t. But, at the end of the day, I am very shaky on the long term reliability of all the diesel related emissions stuff and donā€™t want a headache if I can avoid it. Also, after having the Rubicon, Iā€™m seriously considering getting a sport s/max tow and calling it a day. Iā€™m not a rock crawler type but just loved the Rubicon package. Having now been there done that, Iā€˜m thinking I can max out the sport s and be satisfied.

To me, the diesel makes this truck. But, the gasser is still a solid choice and hopefully less headaches.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
I would guess the odds are still largely on the side of not having any problems. That said, if you do happen to get a cel or see dealer message you'll have an idea what could be happening and know what your best course of action is.

OP
OP
iadslgladiator

iadslgladiator

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR diesel
Occupation
operations manager
I have a 2021 diesel rubicon. It has a little over 5,000 miles on it. I had tremendous water leaking issues around the front driver/passenger sides and after 5 months and a voluminous number of repair attempts, it is being lemon lawed.

That said, I LOVED the diesel and never had one single mechanical problem with the engine or def system. However, for what itā€™s worth, I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to order another diesel. Sure, some will have great experiences and others wonā€™t. But, at the end of the day, I am very shaky on the long term reliability of all the diesel related emissions stuff and donā€™t want a headache if I can avoid it. Also, after having the Rubicon, Iā€™m seriously considering getting a sport s/max tow and calling it a day. Iā€™m not a rock crawler type but just loved the Rubicon package. Having now been there done that, Iā€˜m thinking I can max out the sport s and be satisfied.

To me, the diesel makes this truck. But, the gasser is still a solid choice and hopefully less headaches.
Water leaking?? As in water leaking into the cab around the windshield or doors?

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Water leaking?? As in water leaking into the cab around the windshield or doors?
I should say water pouring. It was not a minor leak by any means. It would puddle on top around the freedom panels and the first time you hit the brakes, it would POUR in at the top around both doors. Two dealerships could never get it fixed and neither could a third party that fixes leaks on cars. Go figure. I would have bet my issues would have been EcoDiesel related. Never thought Iā€™d have a water leak like this!

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe

Any thoughts on getting a Mojave?
Sponsored