First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
As I wait for my JTR to be built/delivered, I've been agonizing over a winch choice, below is my spreadsheet trying to make sense of all these details.... I'm still up in the air about Wire Vs. Synthetic but leaning towards Synthetic due to the safety aspects and having my younger (12,8,6) kids with me when wheeling. Though I'm concerned about it's durability living in PA between wheeling in the mud/woods and the harsh winters, will it hold up? Based on what I put together in this list, I'm thinking the Warn 10S is going to be my choice. Is 10,000lbs going to be enough for me? I'm going 35's with no lift and will likely use the winch more doing yardwork than in the woods... Help!?!?!?

winch.JPG
Sponsored

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I just bought the 10S.. Cant tell you how well I like it yet cause I'm waiting on my bumper. But from the research I did it was the best bang for what I needed..
Synthetic is the way to go too.. If your worried about deteriorating get a cover.

Guntar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK RHD (wife's mail vehicle) 2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
N/a
I use synthetic line on my 1998 Rock crawler ( if we can find rocks without mud) here in VT. As long as you keep the line covered it will hold up just fine. Also, wash your line (metal or synthetic) after usage. A decent neoprene winch cover will do the trick. Or you can pay for a better quality winch cover.

2020 JT Rubicon
La0t year I purchased a 2019 version of the winch I wanted. It was all but the same as the new 2020 winch I wanted. Except it was $300 cheaper. Same everything. Remote or wired usage. Same foot print and winch capacities at same revelations on winch.

TL;DR
Can't go wrong with synthetic line. Sometimes last years model winch can be way cheaper.
Cover the winch and synthetic line.

OP
OP
blau iii

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I use synthetic line on my 1998 Rock crawler ( if we can find rocks without mud) here in VT. As long as you keep the line covered it will hold up just fine. Also, wash your line (metal or synthetic) after usage. A decent neoprene winch cover will do the trick. Or you can pay for a better quality winch cover.

2020 JT Rubicon
La0t year I purchased a 2019 version of the winch I wanted. It was all but the same as the new 2020 winch I wanted. Except it was $300 cheaper. Same everything. Remote or wired usage. Same foot print and winch capacities at same revelations on winch.

TL;DR
Can't go wrong with synthetic line. Sometimes last years model winch can be way cheaper.
Cover the winch and synthetic line.
where did you look to find last years models? It seems warn is pretty tight on any sort of discounts.

OP
OP
blau iii

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I just bought the 10S.. Cant tell you how well I like it yet cause I'm waiting on my bumper. But from the research I did it was the best bang for what I needed..
Synthetic is the way to go too.. If your worried about deteriorating get a cover.
I'm planning on the Arcus bumper and the winch will sit down low, do I still need a cover?

Sponsored

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm planning on the Arcus bumper and the winch will sit down low, do I still need a cover?
I'm doing the Arcus as well.. If the top of the winch is exposed then your going to have sun and rain on your line regardless how low it sits.. So yes I would get a cover if your anywhere up North..

Guntar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JK RHD (wife's mail vehicle) 2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
N/a
where did you look to find last years models? It seems warn is pretty tight on any sort of discounts.
I got mine from Amazon. I didn't get a Warn. It was even from the winch company's own store on Amazon. If I went to any other site I couldn't find this deal. It looked like they were using Amazon as their clearing house site. For this product at least. Here is what I purchased Smitybuilt X2O Now what you have planned for your JT and what I have planned maybe different. I am building mine as a go anywhere overlander. Not a Rock Crawler. So, your mileage may vary. Good Luck.

OP
OP
blau iii

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Get the Badlands winch from Harbor Tools has great reviews and you can use the 20% off coupon
I looked at that but the control box logo is pretty obnoxious.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I bought Harbor Freight. If the logo is on a sticker, peel it off like I did. Or, paint over it. You should also check amp draw vs. load. I found the 12k winch to have a lower amp draw up to 9000 lb pull vs. the 9k winch, for example. Weight of the winch matters too, and synthetic line helps there. The main drawbacks to syn are abrasion if dragged over rocks while pulling, and ultraviolet light causing degradation.
Sponsored