Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Electricity isn’t free though so that’s not 100% true. Regardless, wait till electricity is the future and they jack up energy prices. People think we’re moving to a fuel free, cheaper alternative. Yeah, right lol. Something has to replace all those taxes they put on gas.
$20-$40 per month to charge an EV for a daily commuter.
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Electricity isn’t free though so that’s not 100% true. Regardless, wait till electricity is the future and they jack up energy prices. People think we’re moving to a fuel free, cheaper alternative. Yeah, right lol. Something has to replace all those taxes they put on gas.

I meant fuel savings as in the amount you save charging vs gas. The wife's 4xe is about 50% savings per mile on electrons vs gas, this EV looks to be even more efficient than that by about 40% so it would be even less. This does assume that they dont skyrocket the electricity cost to compensate, although more likely we'll end up paying for it via assessments for new power plants and registration taxes to replace the gas tax.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I meant fuel savings as in the amount you save charging vs gas. The wife's 4xe is about 50% savings per mile on electrons vs gas, this EV looks to be even more efficient than that by about 40% so it would be even less. This does assume that they dont skyrocket the electricity cost to compensate, although more likely we'll end up paying for it via assessments for new power plants and registration taxes to replace the gas tax.
Gotcha. Yeah, they’re going to get us one way or another lol. Guarantee that.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Maybe now while fuel is in use it’s that much. But electricity will go up because everybody needs their piece of the pie. No different than how they charge me “demand” charges for using it during certain hours or more for using it in the summer. Looks like federal tax is 18 cents a gallon and Colorado is 22 cents per gallon and they’re trying to raise that another 35 cents in the next 6 years. Billions upon billions lost in taxes by states and the government. Either way it’s just me speculating but I’d wager a hefty sum we’ll see some awesome taxes and registration fees in the future.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe now while fuel is in use it’s that much. But electricity will go up because everybody needs their piece of the pie. No different than how they charge me “demand” charges for using it during certain hours or more for using it in the summer. Looks like federal tax is 18 cents a gallon and Colorado is 22 cents per gallon and they’re trying to raise that another 35 cents in the next 6 years. Billions upon billions lost in taxes by states and the government. Either way it’s just me speculating but I’d wager a hefty sum we’ll see some awesome taxes and registration fees in the future.
Totally logical. Taxes pay for things like roads. You won’t hear me complain about taxes. If I do, I can’t complain about aging infrastructure. Change costs money. Fine with me.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Totally logical. Taxes pay for things like roads. You won’t hear me complain about taxes. If I do, I can’t complain about aging infrastructure. Change costs money. Fine with me.
Yeah, it does. Not you necessarily I just think some people I’ve come across believe electric is the future and it’ll be cheaper too and I just don’t see that lol. I’m not against it though.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Yeah, it does. Not you necessarily I just think some people I’ve come across believe electric is the future and it’ll be cheaper too and I just don’t see that lol. I’m not against it though.

I'm with you, it wont be cheaper not because it cant be, but because there is no reason for it to be. Gas used to be more in tune with the price per barrel, but once they got people used to 3-4 dollar a gallon gas, no reason for them to return to under 2 bucks even though thats what the price per barrel says it should be. Inelastic goods are a real bitch if you're the consumer.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I'm with you, it wont be cheaper not because it cant be, but because there is no reason for it to be. Gas used to be more in tune with the price per barrel, but once they got people used to 3-4 dollar a gallon gas, no reason for them to return to under 2 bucks even though thats what the price per barrel says it should be. Inelastic goods are a real bitch if you're the consumer.
Its sad I have to love your post. But i love the fact it’s 100% true and there are people that see that. Thank god I have a work vehicle 5 days a week.

Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
According to https://taxfoundation.org/gas-tax-revenue-decline-as-traffic-drops/, gas tax revenue was:
"In 2018 (the latest data), state governments raised $48.2 billion and the federal government raised $36 billion in motor fuel excise tax revenue."

The push to EV will mean gas tax revenue stagnation (people choosing EV or petrol for a while), eventually a decrease (EV acceptance & popularity) and eventually a miniscule amount generated (haulers, lawn equipment, ATV, bikes, etc.). But this will be happening over 30-50 years probably.

That's why states are trying to push more tolling packages and VMT taxes (vehicle miles travelled).

The gov't will jack up gas tax to recoup revenue because they're stupid, and also to force adoption of EV. And we'll pay more than double because it'll hit shipping companies. UPS/FedEx/Truckers, etc. will raise their prices to cover the tax increase.

The gov't doesn't want to lose roughly $90B in revenue - it'll get accounted for elsewhere. And we'll still likely get a rate hike on electricity and EV taxes anywhere they seem fit.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll not argue that it will be cheaper. I will argue that it will be affordable eventually. Currently the tax credits are there to make it more affordable for the early adopters. Things that are better will seldom be cheaper. In the beginning, they’ll be more expensive. Eventually, the old way will become more expensive.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Electric prices vary widely by quite a bit in some cases. I am on $0.30/kwh. A 200kw battery is going to cost me $60 to fill up. Less than gas, but not wildly less to makeup any meaningful ground on up front costs being higher.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Also 400 miles into a Jeep sized rig would be dropped to, let's call it 300 miles. Now do what Jeep drivers do you the truck and it'll be 200. And drive above 65 and it'll be 150. Tesla drops a ton of range at higher speed, Jeep will be even worse with big mud tires and stubby bumpers and lifts.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Awful looking. I'm pro EV, but this thing looks like a gen 1 ridgeline from the back. I hate these flairs:
Jeep Gladiator Silverado EV promises 20k towing capability + mid gate design grumpy
Isn't this a rebadged hummer? I think they did a better job up front. I'm not crazy about the flying buttresses but I do know a few Avalanche enthusiasts who are going to wet themselves when they see this. And for the record, some of them are not white... don't drag me into that guy's silly debate.
Sponsored