Sponsored

Silverado EV promises 20k towing capability + mid gate design

Gunrunner72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ, 2002 HD Deuce, 2013 Corvette Z06, 2015 F-350, 2016 HD StreetGlide, 1980 CJ-7(sold), 1989 Cherokee(sold), 1985 CJ-7(sold)
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey
The fact they didn’t name this the Avalanche is another missed mark by GM. Specs look pretty much as expected, and from the 3/4 view it’s very easy to see the Hummer EV influence. But come on GM! You had the perfect opportunity to bring back a storied nameplate and you missed it.
"Storied nameplate" is something I don't think I've ever heard the Avalanche referred to as...
Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
"Storied nameplate" is something I don't think I've ever heard the Avalanche referred to as...
You’d be surprised. People pay pretty big money for second hand Avalanche's, even with 100k+ miles on them. They targeted a group of people who wanted a “lifestyle” vehicle before that was even a term. The only direct competition the Avalanche had was the Sport Trac and the Avalanche outsold it on a regular basis and even lasted a few years longer than the Sport Trac did (production wise).

Gunrunner72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ, 2002 HD Deuce, 2013 Corvette Z06, 2015 F-350, 2016 HD StreetGlide, 1980 CJ-7(sold), 1989 Cherokee(sold), 1985 CJ-7(sold)
Occupation
Gas Pump Jockey
You’d be surprised. People pay pretty big money for second hand Avalanche's, even with 100k+ miles on them. They targeted a group of people who wanted a “lifestyle” vehicle before that was even a term. The only direct competition the Avalanche had was the Sport Trac and the Avalanche outsold it on a regular basis and even lasted a few years longer than the Sport Trac did (production wise).
Hard to believe there were that many people with bad taste. Probably had a Pontiac Aztec in the other bay of their garage.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
why post chevy on a Jeep forum? lol
It's good to see innovations and developments from other brands. You don't want to live your life in an echo chamber of misinformation and missed opportunities.

This was simply put in the wrong forum section is all. Still has a place here though.

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
I have no issues with anyone posting other manufacturers stuff. I love it, technology and cars are fun to keep up on. Anyways, love the interior, the exterior? Not so much. I’ll add, I don’t mind the front though, just the back end is weird.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
All EV trucks have the same problem. They aren't practical for the masses and they're too expensive and they're destined to be future repair nightmares.

GM wasn't happy with this so they went a step farther and made their offering also ugly as sin like the Avalanche.

It'll take a REALLY special buyer for this one!

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
TheSolarWizard

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
And why is this in a Gladiator forum????
we’re all heading toward electrics so I feel it’s relevant to look at what the competition is doing. Maybe I’m wrong but there’s about 30 threads on Broncos and they aren’t gladiators either

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
All EV trucks have the same problem. They aren't practical for the masses and they're too expensive and they're destined to be future repair nightmares.

GM wasn't happy with this so they went a step farther and made their offering also ugly as sin like the Avalanche.

I agree with everything but the repair nightmare. EVs have far fewer moving parts, and many times their first required service other than tire rotation is 100k miles. Will battery replacements be expensive at the approximate 10 year mark, sure, but nothing before that is pretty nice. Maybe wiper fluid. :)

Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Battery size probably in the 200kwh range like the hummer i'd assume. The GVWR has to be in the 10.5-11K range like the hummer EV too.

Given this is what all the manufacturers are moving towards, i'm excited to see the jeep/ram offerings.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I agree with everything but the repair nightmare. EVs have far fewer moving parts, and many times their first required service other than tire rotation is 100k miles. Will battery replacements be expensive at the approximate 10 year mark, sure, but nothing before that is pretty nice. Maybe wiper fluid. :)

Totally agree, people bawk at the battery replacement cost, but forget that you are probably getting at least 10 years out of that bettery, and in the same time you'd have a bunch of services and repairs that would typically equal out the cost of the battery. Even if all you did was take the fuel money saved each year and put that towards the eventual battery replacement in the 10-15 years you'd end up way ahead.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Totally agree, people bawk at the battery replacement cost, but forget that you are probably getting at least 10 years out of that bettery, and in the same time you'd have a bunch of services and repairs that would typically equal out the cost of the battery. Even if all you did was take the fuel money saved each year and put that towards the eventual battery replacement in the 10-15 years you'd end up way ahead.
No question. It should be just a few minutes until I’m publicly sacrificed to the diesel gods. 5-4-3-2-1. Head on a pike.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Electricity isn’t free though so that’s not 100% true. Regardless, wait till electricity is the future and they jack up energy prices. People think we’re moving to a fuel free, cheaper alternative. Yeah, right lol. Something has to replace all those taxes they put on gas.

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical

A special buyer? They’ll have zero issue selling this truck.
Sponsored