Skid plate for underbed spare tire?

danenglish2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I've got a 37" spare on a Method rim under the bed. I'd hate to see this come down on a rock. I searched for some sort of skid plate or protection for it but couldn't find anything?
Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I havent seen anything, but it wouldn't be that hard to come up with something. Could do a steel or aluminum circle the diameter of the tire opening with a smallish lip around it & a tether in the center & then basically load your spare on it & hoist it up to protect the tire & wheel. I have thought about it, but haven't viewed it as a big enough pain point yet to address.

Zahman

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Occupation
Medical Field
I've got a 37" spare on a Method rim under the bed. I'd hate to see this come down on a rock. I searched for some sort of skid plate or protection for it but couldn't find anything?
Hey danenglish2! Check out spareskidplate.com. I produce UHMW skid plates for under mounted spare tires. These plates are tough. Just email me and I can get you situated.
Thanks,
Darren

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A very good thing to do, many many years ago I was driving a M35A2 2 1/2 ton got "ground guides" backing up at night and had the spare tire drop in on top of a tree stump was stuck like chuck it took a 5 ton to pull the truck off of the damn tree stump. No way to get it off otherwise the winch couldn't even help. Why I don't trust anyone hardly, I'll stop and look over where I'm going on foot.
Here's a picture of "My" M35A2 I was assigned as driver it will give a idea how long back it was.

1 023q.jpg

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Do most people get a 5th wheel and tire and do a 5 tire rotation, or get a 5th tire of the same diameter and mount it on the factory spare rim? I assume the spare rim has the same dimensions as the stock rims? I'm hoping to order my JT next month. I've even considered a narrow width 35 for a spare when I upgrade to 35s to increase ground clearance and lower costs.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
No way to get it off otherwise the winch couldn't even help. Why I don't trust anyone hardly,
Do those usually come with a big enough jack to lift them off the ground? Cause you could jack it up and drive it off I would think.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do those usually come with a big enough jack to lift them off the ground? Cause you could jack it up and drive it off I would think.
No just a 10 ton hydraulic bottle jack as BII (Basic issue equipment) a axe, shovel, 2 crescent wrench's screw driver's, the lug wrench and few other things.

OP
OP
danenglish2

danenglish2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Hey danenglish2! Check out spareskidplate.com. I produce UHMW skid plates for under mounted spare tires. These plates are tough. Just email me and I can get you situated.
Thanks,
Darren
Thanks Darren, product looks great but I wasn't able to fit my Nitto Trail Grappler 37 even deflated. Ended up with a bed mounted solution.

Zahman

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Occupation
Medical Field
Thanks Darren, product looks great but I wasn't able to fit my Nitto Trail Grappler 37 even deflated. Ended up with a bed mounted solution.
I was wondering if you could fit the 37” under there?

Little diesel

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator eco diesel overland
Occupation
Retired Army
Do most people get a 5th wheel and tire and do a 5 tire rotation, or get a 5th tire of the same diameter and mount it on the factory spare rim? I assume the spare rim has the same dimensions as the stock rims? I'm hoping to order my JT next month. I've even considered a narrow width 35 for a spare when I upgrade to 35s to increase ground clearance and lower costs.
My gladiator spare was 17 wheel, so it didn’t match when on eBay got one within a week matched stock wheels and 160$

Sponsored

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
grind the extra fat off the hitch receiver and use a bent claytons track bar and it should fit if you want

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
A very good thing to do, many many years ago I was driving a M35A2 2 1/2 ton got "ground guides" backing up at night and had the spare tire drop in on top of a tree stump was stuck like chuck it took a 5 ton to pull the truck off of the damn tree stump. No way to get it off otherwise the winch couldn't even help. Why I don't trust anyone hardly, I'll stop and look over where I'm going on foot.
Here's a picture of "My" M35A2 I was assigned as driver it will give a idea how long back it was.
On a side note, I learned to drive manual on a deuce and a half in the motor pool at Bragg. Haha

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Old stop sign ?
All jokes aside, I'm totally serious here, I was significantly inebriated about 2 months ago, and purchased a stop sign on amazon for this exact purpose.

It's sitting in my darn garage now as Ive been struggling to think of the best way to actually use it - considered running a hole saw through the middle to create a space for the spare winch to fit through, and bolting a 5x5 wheel spacer in the middle to reinforce it, but I would need a bracket or something to go between the stop sign and the hub of the spare tire or it would just crunch when you tried to crank the spare up into place.

I uhh.. spent way too much time and energy going down the rabbit hole on this one.. short of fabbing up something nutty, I think a stack of wheel spacers is the way but I've put it on the back burner..
Sponsored