Sponsored

So advanced brake assist locked up on me for no obvious reason.

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
To start out if we could keep this from degrading into a whole “nanny driver systems are the problem with this country” that would be awesome. It’s a feature I feel better having because my job involves a lot of highway driving to get back to my hotel after working two weeks of 13hr shifts, with some of those extending past that. In a year I had not had the brake assist activate, though I do set off the warning on occasion in the city when I apparently have more faith in drivers making their turn ahead of me before I get there than the computer does, and it’s trained me to drive a bit less like an asshole.

With my soapboxing out of the way, it fully locked the brakes on me on Friday. We were stopped under a bridge for a red light, car in front went and didn’t stop or studded, we went at a crawl and at maybe 5-10mph brakes just locked. Tires skidded to stop, people honked, wife was mad.

She wants to blame it on the after market crap I have put on, recently the iDrive throttle controller (which was in stock/standard “- -“ configuration at the time. I also have had the Z automotive Tazer Mini on it for about a year, and updated it a couple months ago. I feel like the brake warning had started going off
more with that Tazer on it, but this is the first time it actually assisted brakes, probably because I was still on the brakes getting started rolling or something? At any rate it’s gone off less than once month and I’ve put about 22k miles on it.

Other notables were shadow under bridge, pot holes, road stains, maybe car in front of me got into the sunlight around that time.

Obviously if I go to the dealer with either of these items installed they will be the scapegoats, and maybe rightly so, though I feel like the throttle controller should be removed enough from the system since it’s more of a signal interrupter as I understand it, and the Tazer doesn’t seem to mess with brake assist settings.

Anyone else had issues with this? I did a couple searches but Brake and Assist are frequently used words on here and didn’t come up with anything.

Edited to fix typos and auto-corrects
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
Nanny driver systems are a problem. ;) Maybe not THE problem, but a problem. I’ve well documented I can’t stand them. I think they give people a false sense of security, and I think an unintended consequence is they lead people to believe they can look at their phone, or otherwise not pay attention like they should.

On another thread I posted how the brake assist system in my Ford Flex slammed on the brakes while I was doing 80 mph on the interstate because it thought the bridge I was coming up on was a solid wall. It was scary and nuts that it could do that.

OP
OP
Zacfrac

Zacfrac

First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE
Occupation
Consultant
Well this is off to a great start.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Similar thing happened to me in a parking lot with my JLU. I turned off the auto-brake feature but left the audible warning. I was not very happy with the performance of the system as a whole and did not want it on my JT.

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
I had the same system on my 2019 Ram 1500, I had a similar experience with mine as you did multiple times. I end up turning it to warning only with no brake assistance. When I traded that truck for the JTR I made sure not to have it as an option.

Sponsored

JCHGlad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR
Occupation
Real Estate sales/Development
I optioned out of it because of this, I’ve heard it’s overly sensitive, I’ve also dealt with it in my Ram, everything is fine until it isn’t....highly annoying and possibly dangerous imho.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have mine turned on at the medium setting. I have received several warnings from it, but never had it activate the brakes. I have heard that bright light reflections into the sensor assembly can cause issues. I use ACC all the time, with no issues, which relies on the same sensor assembly.

Braunsemail

First Name
Braun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler JK Unlimited
Same thing has happened to me three times with locked brakes. Once was under an overpass, the other two were in a fast-food line on two separate occasions. Fixed the drive through line, I don't go there anymore. The overpass incident for some reason always happens in the same place but usually only gives a audible warning. The last time happened the other night and issued a full lock-up.

I don't have any kind of aftermarket devices.

Let me know if you figure anything out on your end.
Sponsored