Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Well, I'd say "may". So far not a single vehicle has EVER left us stranded - only my 1995 F250 did that, and it was due to a popped brake line! It popped in my driveway, thank goodness! It dumped the rear system of the master all over the ground. But that was BRAKEs, not electronics and could happen with any vehicle.

We've never been stranded. Only inconvenienced.
But your point - yes, they are all this way and some MORE than these! Go buy a bloody Mercedes if you think these have electronics! 10 years ago even mid-level Mercedes has many more complex systems than these Jeeps do. IMO, Jeep is catching up.

DaleG I hope you have a long healthy life as you are heading in the right direction with your very first sentence! Kudos. Wish I was like that.
I worked for and on Mercedes-Benz from 1982-1990 and Porsche and Audi from 1990-2000. I was in the auto industry (born into it) for 30 Plus years. I’ve worked on, repaired and fixed damn near every brand and type of Motorized vehicle known to man.....including antiques, drag cars, Off-road racecars, air frames, boats, bikes....they all break Eventually. Worrying about shit breaking is way down my list of shit to worry about.
After spending some years in Law Enforcement......You learn what to actually worry about....and it damn sure isn’t anything mechanical.
Sponsored

firehog

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow; 2020 Chevy Silverado Duramax 3500
Good point! Probably most likey to run out of gas before any kind of failure. Such a small tank for such a capable vehicle! Lol.

The way I see it, you really ONLY need to worry about 2 items that could strand you in the middle of nowhere..........
1) Out of air in the spare tire
2) Out of gas
Everything else ......... is, what it is.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I ain't afraid of no ghosts. Give me some old school badass american jeep truck please. And some jeep aviator glasses. I'm cool for, let's say, about the next 4 years.

Jeep Gladiator So here's what concerns me! 9f587af9b771899be0e78c8339f6c058
q

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Hand gun action is mechanical.

Blue Lives Matter.
Never worried about a gun.....it was the assholes that might use one Committing a crime I worried about...and I’m a FIRM 2nd Amendment Originalist. Everyone should have the Right to own one, but that doesn’t mean “everyone” should....

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I do have concerns about reliability of new vehicles to point, older vehicles about anyone could work on to some degree. My first car I had master cylinder fail driving down road at 60 mph instant no brakes my first clue was when someone pulled out in front of me..... Parking brake, steer, hold brake release with other hand. A s a 17 y.o. driver, few other "good times" with few other vehicles. My LJ started going to WOT and sticking a dang $25-30 part and I added a throttle return spring on throttle body for heaver pedal pressure. Cable wearing out replacement done. Stuff happens plan for some prevent maintenance I replaced upper radiator hose guess what one the failed..., The new one.
No I'm not fond of steering by wire, brakes, and gas to. Much less after having a vehicle go to WOT as driving and no key to shut it down.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I'd say get a phone and maybe make some friends in the nearby town or at least know how to dial for transport/mechanics. You may want to keep a bicycle in your bed and some water? Maybe move closer to civilization if this is going to break you. Every vehicle can fail you, new or old.

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
From the title of this thread...... This is mine!

Jeep Gladiator So here's what concerns me! 86413382
Ya, cheapass latches that you're supposed to trust that carny over there that has a full set of teeth between the 3 that set it up, no way in hell. I'm with you lol.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I do have concerns about reliability of new vehicles to point, older vehicles about anyone could work on to some degree. My first car I had master cylinder fail driving down road at 60 mph instant no brakes my first clue was when someone pulled out in front of me..... Parking brake, steer, hold brake release with other hand. A s a 17 y.o. driver, few other "good times" with few other vehicles. My LJ started going to WOT and sticking a dang $25-30 part and I added a throttle return spring on throttle body for heaver pedal pressure. Cable wearing out replacement done. Stuff happens plan for some prevent maintenance I replaced upper radiator hose guess what one the failed..., The new one.
No I'm not fond of steering by wire, brakes, and gas to. Much less after having a vehicle go to WOT as driving and no key to shut it down.
I was driving my 2nd Eagle, an 81 SX4 with manual transmission through the middle of Mason City traffic. Lots of cars, lots of stop signs and stop lights.
I was coming fast upon a light and it turned red. I pushed in the clutch to downshift and hit the brakes - oops, clutch pedal to the floor. Luckily the brakes were good enough to stop the car and kill the engine. Light turns green - no clutch. The slave cylinder was toast, all the fluid ran out.
So I had to run that thing back home without being able to disengage the clutch, not even a little bit. I repaired the clutch slave cylinder with a kit and was good to go again.

My F250 the speedometer stopped working - then I went to back out of the driveway and the transmission acted weird. Got backed up onto the road and tried to go forward - it was in limp mode. I figured out - a FUSE was blown! I replaced the fuse and the transmission shifted fine and the speedometer worked again.

Still - neither left me really stranded.
My points were - modern, antique, classic, anything in between or at either extreme - stuff can happen. Simple or complex, stuff can happen.

If I worried too much about it, I'd never leave home - oh, but then what if........... (imagine all of the things with your house that can go wrong, or worse - fires, etc. You could say I'll just stay safe and stay in bed today and the dog chews a wire and set the place on fire and you die anyway)

Be thankful your truck isn't running on a Microsoft OS.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I was driving my 2nd Eagle, an 81 SX4 with manual transmission through the middle of Mason City traffic. Lots of cars, lots of stop signs and stop lights.
I was coming fast upon a light and it turned red. I pushed in the clutch to downshift and hit the brakes - oops, clutch pedal to the floor. Luckily the brakes were good enough to stop the car and kill the engine. Light turns green - no clutch. The slave cylinder was toast, all the fluid ran out.
So I had to run that thing back home without being able to disengage the clutch, not even a little bit. I repaired the clutch slave cylinder with a kit and was good to go again.

My F250 the speedometer stopped working - then I went to back out of the driveway and the transmission acted weird. Got backed up onto the road and tried to go forward - it was in limp mode. I figured out - a FUSE was blown! I replaced the fuse and the transmission shifted fine and the speedometer worked again.

Still - neither left me really stranded.
My points were - modern, antique, classic, anything in between or at either extreme - stuff can happen. Simple or complex, stuff can happen.

If I worried too much about it, I'd never leave home - oh, but then what if........... (imagine all of the things with your house that can go wrong, or worse - fires, etc. You could say I'll just stay safe and stay in bed today and the dog chews a wire and set the place on fire and you die anyway)

Be thankful your truck isn't running on a Microsoft OS.
I really don't worry as much as the original post might have made it sound. Just think about stuff more with family to take care of and a manufacturing plant to run.
Also I lived through a house fire at age 13 and a garage fire (faulty original wiring above insulation) just a few years ago. Thankfully I was home, saw the smoke and was able to use a hose and put the fire out. 10k in damages.

Thanks all just wanted to hear your thoughts about this new modern era we live in.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
My windshield scares me. 3200 miles and it's already cracked.
I'm already on my second set of rock chips. First rock chip in first winshield led to it cracking badly and growing day by day. A grand later, on second glass and as I was appliny the RainX and installing RainX wiper blades, I found SEVERAL, not one, not 3, but several chips in the new glass, anyone of them could crack at any time. And I don't even follow anything close. Of course the record-breaking derecho I drove home through was tossing tree parts, highway signs and barricades across the highways so anything is possible.

I really don't worry as much as the original post might have made it sound. Just think about stuff more with family to take care of and a manufacturing plant to run.
Also I lived through a house fire at age 13 and a garage fire (faulty original wiring above insulation) just a few years ago. Thankfully I was home, saw the smoke and was able to use a hose and put the fire out. 10k in damages.

Thanks all just wanted to hear your thoughts about this new modern era we live in.
Yeah, I think the point is that when it goes, it goes. You can't grab a pair of nylon hose and tie around the pulleys to keep the fan going and alternator charging at least a tiny bit to get home.
You can't run a wire to the throttle if the cable snaps and at least be able to sort of run things.
You can't just replace a fuse and make the transmission shift properly again, there's a lot of things you can't easily fix along the road with duct tape, nylon stockings, etc.

My first boss after I got out of college was an older fellow even at that time - he had driven almost everything from Model T, Model A, early gravel trucks and whatever. He took his new bride to Alaska. Transmission gave out on the roads up there - there wasn't a highway then. He pulled the transmission out of the car, found a near-by cabin and plopped the transmission up on top of the cabin's wood bin and fixed it, put it back in the car and continued on.
The stuff he showed me, the early tools, the Model T jack that was shaped like a long bar with a J shape at the lower end, a pair of wheels, one on either side of the curve, and a flat spot on the end of the small part of the J shape. It was a car jack. You put it under the axle, pushed down on the long end, it lifted the car and went over center to hold the car up. He said if you needed to hold up BOTH ends of the axle, you carried a Coke bottle with you and put that under the raised end of the axle, let the jack loose and raised the other end of the axle with the jack. One end of the axle on the bottle, the other on the jack.

Last edited:

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
This! I'm old enough remember when cars didn't have computers and it's not like they were bullet-proof:

- Mechanical fuel pumps failed suddenly and catastrophically. If you were in the middle of nowhere and your fuel pump went out, you weren't going anywhere until you got another fuel pump. (Replacing it typically involved only two bolts and two line connections, but you still need another one.)

- Carburetor needle and seat valves would suddenly start leaking and spew gasoline out the top. This was not only a Class Bravo fire hazard, it would typically keep the engine from running.

- My dad bought a 1975 Chevy pickup in 1980. Shortly after he bought it, a brake caliper seized and left him stranded. Then the rear differential locked up while he was on the highway. The diff was full of fluid. It was a manufacturing error. (He was lucky he wasn't killed in that incident.)

- One morning my mom went to start her 1976 LTD station wagon and the battery exploded. It literally exploded as in "KA-BOOM!". Luckily, that car was 4-wheeled tank. I think the front end would have blown out on most other cars.

- Tires were not nearly as reliable as they are now. It wasn't uncommon to experience a random blowout on the road for no reason. In fact, that 1976 LTD wagon had five brand new Firestones when my dad bought it and, over the next few years, all five of those tires experienced a blow out. I was in the car during one of those blow outs.

Enjoy the relatively, trouble-free reliability of modern vehicles. :)
Amen on the carb issues, and I could never get the hang of setting points properly.
Sponsored